Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves in for Ashley Barnes

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
They may be interested. Lots of clubs should be in a young lad who is already proficient, but will one day develop into a star. We must not let him go unless he demands to be given the chance (but why would he?), and we get a BIG fee.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ultimately, if a club is really keen and can double/treble a player's salary (and with the PP Wolves can) then nine times out of 10 it's going to happen.

Put it this way, if you were scouting him and came to the Chelsea game, you won't exactly have been put off. Just have to see how serious the interest is.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
just sitting quietly contemplating and smiling to myself.

I think it was after the Plymouth match at Home Park in 2009/10 that I first said Barnes was a million pound player and got ridiculed on here.

Can't see Gus letting him go but I think if a bid does come in then people will be very surprised at his value in the current market and by January it will have increased considerably (if only because clubs are more desperate then to make a signing to change their season). At this stage Ash is attracting attention from Championship clubs but it may not be long before someone in the Premiership shows an interest in him. Then we will struggle to keep him.

New contract needs sorting ???

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Madness. Any idea what kind of wage Fletcher is on? Just seems like an awful lot of money for a particualrly average player. Just comparing him to Darren Bent, didn't you sell Bent for £15million - or was it more?

It was slightly more. Like many transfers the exact details were not made public, but it was believed to be about £18m. or £19m. plus add-ons which could take it to around £23m.. We've never come close to replacing him which is why we're so desperate for a goalscoring forward, though Fletcher is a very different type of striker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it was after the Plymouth match at Home Park in 2009/10 that I first said Barnes was a million pound player and got ridiculed on here.

Barnes can be worth £1million From The Argus) January 2011

Poyet said: “We are not even halfway throught the season so he could get to 20.

“Forget about Glenn, because everybodys knows about him. If Ash gets close to 20 this season his value can go up to £1 million.​

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
All I can say is that I'm delighted by the positivity of this thread in regards to Barnes as a player.

After all the derisory comments he got last season it's good to know that he's now appreciated.

I wonder who the 2012/13 scapegoat will be...

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Really wouldn't want him to go, and with our striker situation I can't see Gus or Tony letting him go without a LOT of cash changing hands.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Why are people saying sell for 1-2million, Gus loves him, young, has shown potential, contracted, Wolves will have money. Unless we can get 3-5million out of them (yes I know silly money) then don't sell, we don't need to we need to step up a level on all terms including our bargaining when selling players. Is taylor-fletcher worth 8-10 times more than Ashley not for me we paid 3mill for CMS?

Personally I think its bull and he will be going nowhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would we sell a good player to a rival? It will be the same as Noone to Cardiff - no go.
Noone to Cardiff was much more likely, given that we had more wingers than we could fit on the pitch and bench combined. We don't have any other players like Barnes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here