Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Winning v Leading Pet Hates

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pet hates are people that really get annoyed at others use of language, either written or spoken, when, despite what might be grammatically incorrect, they fully understand what is being conveyed! Yes, it's a bit of fun to pick up on grammatical errors on a forum but who really gives the proverbial toss!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Everyone does NOT use it! And the only reason we all generally let it go is because it’s become so adopted on mass that you’ve got to translate such incorrect usage if you work behind a bar etc. But it doesn’t make it right?! Or are they teaching this on the curriculum now? FFS, in this matter, you are the epitome of a bigoted moron who gets affronted even when correctly called out, whether that’s done in a nice manner or, as I’m now doing, with brute insults, but only because I want to see if that will penetrate your thick head instead as an alternative strategy. Seemingly not. Which makes you truly :dunce: That is my final comment. No point arguing with stupid as they say. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

En masse.

Where do you think he's fetching this affront from?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Everyone does NOT use it! And the only reason we all generally let it go is because it’s become so adopted on mass that you’ve got to translate such incorrect usage if you work behind a bar etc. But it doesn’t make it right?! Or are they teaching this on the curriculum now? FFS, in this matter, you are the epitome of a bigoted moron who gets affronted even when correctly called out, whether that’s done in a nice manner or, as I’m now doing, with brute insults, but only because I want to see if that will penetrate your thick head instead as an alternative strategy. Seemingly not. Which makes you truly :dunce: That is my final comment. No point arguing with stupid as they say. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You are very, very funny.

I didn't say everyone uses it, I said that we all know what it means.

On mass? You are using the French term 'en masse', which we have incorporated into our language.

You call me a bigoted moron because I say that I am happy to go with the flow as language changes and develops. That's a little strange, I feel.

I suspect that only one of us has a thick head. (It's not me, by the way).

That stress will kill you.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ok I know it may be pedantic, but one thing that really gets on my nerves is how commentators and journalists in particular, but people in general don't understand the difference between Leading and Winning.

Commentator in the West Brom v Chelsea game has just perfectly illustrated the point. He said Chelsea were winning, and now they are losing. No they weren't, they were leading, and now they are behind. Its basic English, the two words have different though obviously connected meanings, and whilst Chelsea may well have gone on to win, its only once the match is over can any team be said to have been winning or losing it .

Is it laziness or ignorance? Similarly the difference between can i have and can i get- lots of people seem to use get when they should be using have. Saying nan I get a coffee for example, to a Barista is not the same as can I have a coffee.

Anyway, Im sure we all have our pet hates which aren't really important, but just irritate us, what are yours?(Im sure people like me posting things like this is high on someone's list)

One of my pet hates is the listing of football fixtures where the away team is listed first rather than second rather than correctly listing the home team first.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
‘For me.....’ is the new ‘y’know’

Gets on my tits because it’s so over-used. What’s wrong with ‘I think...’, ‘in my opinion...’ etc ? At least mix it up a bit you boring :wanker::wanker:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Wimmin drivers!
No, not the ones in the driving seat, the ones in the front passenger seat.
Usually a fat old bag who stares at you if you are going to pull out from a supermarket parking space or waiting to give way at a roundabout or junction.
Drivers joining a road from the left who think it is their divine right to pull out and expect you to slow down or change lanes to allow them to shoot out, no! slow down or stop until you can safely pull out and if you dont allow them out you will get the finger.
Main dealer stickers, large, stuck on the back glass of a car, I insist it is removed and say that if you want me to drive around Plymouth, the SW or the country, advertising your company then you will have to pay me to do it.
Waiting 5 minutes at a red light and when it goes green the motorist ( I love that phrase) in front is not ready to go, that 5 seconds or more seems like an hour and makes my piss boil.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone, especially Hoddle and northerners who call the goal, goals. He hit the ball towards the goals or someone is in goals today. Think idiots.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
You are very, very funny.

I didn't say everyone uses it, I said that we all know what it means.

On mass? You are using the French term 'en masse', which we have incorporated into our language.

You call me a bigoted moron because I say that I am happy to go with the flow as language changes and develops. That's a little strange, I feel.

I suspect that only one of us has a thick head. (It's not me, by the way).

That stress will kill you.

:tosser::stupid:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:lolol:

You, continue to spout nonsense. You are not 'tutoring' me, or anyone else, in the correct use of language, as you clearly don't understand how languages work.

If you read literature, which I assume you do, being such a knowledgeable linguist, you will notice that it's not just the spoken language that has evolved, but the written word too - what was considered normal in the 20s, 30s, 40s...every decade, seems quaint and dated now.

'Can I get...?' seems to especially annoy you. It is colloquial, and everyone knows what it means. Yes, it originated in the States, but that's the way things go, c'est la vie. (Oh God, you'll really be cross now...)

Calling me a moron because I don't agree with you? Well, that's moronic.

I ejaculated, “You’re right.”

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The American use of the the French "filet" instead of "fillet" drives me crazy. They speak English, not American FFS.

Just the American use of the English language annoys me.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Gets on my tits because it’s so over-used. What’s wrong with ‘I think...’, ‘in my opinion...’ etc ? At least mix it up a bit you boring :wanker::wanker:

Might be less annoying but "in my opinion" is still pretty annoying.
If you're speaking the default is that you're giving your opinion. It's only if you're giving someone else's opinion and don't wish to pretend it's your own that you need to specify.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Shows how much you know about modern English then. Start with the Victorian era, Great Education Act, to standardise English and educate everyone to a common one. You understand the principle of standardisation don’t you? And that is what is so ridiculously stupid
about last decade and a half. Lazy can’t be bothered types who think the way to go is to invent their own words, meanings etc because they were too dim to learn what was already in place. I’m not taking about the grammar police or finery, but completely wrong application of alongside mimicking accents from a different continent for perceived inclusion purposes. Like...

You could try Simeon Potter's excellent book 'Our Language' to develop a more informed and nuanced understanding.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone, especially Hoddle and northerners who call the goal, goals. He hit the ball towards the goals or someone is in goals today. Think idiots.

The manager of our ex pat football team when I lived in Taipei always said "in goals". We had a keeper who was nicknamed "The Sieve" :)lolol:). When reading out the starting XI it was always "in goals, The Sieve".

He was also Glaswegian, build like a brick shithouse, covered in old school tattoos and slightly mad. I don't know a single person who would have called him an idiot to his face!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

'to be fair' gets me, but not quite as much as being referred to as 'guys' in a restaurant

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Everyone now starting to not pronounce their T's as in ge**ing, Bri**ish, its driving me up the wall as everyone's doing it, even well spoken tv presenters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here