Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Winning v Leading Pet Hates

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I disagree mate :))). In this context we use "get" in the sense of receiving or obtaining something; a very common use of the word in question. As the informative video that Bakero linked makes clear, no cafe worker is going to think that the customer who asks this wants to go behind the counter to make their own drink: In the situational context, that would be absurd. They would know, being flexible users of the language, that the customer wants to obtain a coffee from the worker.

All about the illocutionary force of an utterance, innit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Feck me, this thread is going a bit highbrow isn’t it?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Interested to know which period of English the "correct English" crowd consider the most correct? The time of Chaucer? Or Shakespeare? John Lennon? Or is it, by some miraculous coincidence, out of thousands of years of history, exactly the time when you were growing up?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
People who cut corners when driving. How ducking lazy do you have to be not to drive an extra metres and turn in to the road on the correct side. It’s not only stupid it’s dangerous.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Interested to know which period of English the "correct English" crowd consider the most correct? The time of Chaucer? Or Shakespeare? John Lennon? Or is it, by some miraculous coincidence, out of thousands of years of history, exactly the time when you were growing up?

Shows how much you know about modern English then. Start with the Victorian era, Great Education Act, to standardise English and educate everyone to a common one. You understand the principle of standardisation don’t you? And that is what is so ridiculously stupid
about last decade and a half. Lazy can’t be bothered types who think the way to go is to invent their own words, meanings etc because they were too dim to learn what was already in place. I’m not taking about the grammar police or finery, but completely wrong application of alongside mimicking accents from a different continent for perceived inclusion purposes. Like...

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Shows how much you know about modern English then. Start with the Victorian era, Great Education Act, to standardise English and educate everyone to a common one. You understand the principle of standardisation don’t you? And that is what is so ridiculously stupid
about last decade and a half. Lazy can’t be bothered types who think the way to go is to invent their own words, meanings etc because they were too dim to learn what was already in place. I’m not taking about the grammar police or finery, but completely wrong application of alongside mimicking accents from a different continent for perceived inclusion purposes. Like...

So some people in the Victorian era decided what was correct and that's that then. Gotcha. Hope they were right.

All words were invented. Milton and Shakespeare invented loads, which no doubt would have infuriated you if you'd been about at the time. One of the great strengths of English is that it is so flexible and adaptable, and doesn't just remain static.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
[

People who pull out on you on a roundabout, then wave at you to say sorry.
Whats all that about?[/QUOTE]

I must admit to doing that at certain junctions. Amex. Sometimes it has to be done although I do give the most creepy apologetic wave

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've never used it before, but seeing the way it triggers certain posters, I am going to start using "Can I get...?"

:)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

What grammarians say should be has perhaps less influence on what shall be than even the more modest of them realise; usage evolves itself little disturbed by their likes & dislikes. And yet the temptation to show how better use might have been made of the material to hand is sometimes irresistible. — H. W. Fowler, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage 1926

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So some people in the Victorian era decided what was correct and that's that then. Gotcha. Hope they were right.

All words were invented. Milton and Shakespeare invented loads, which no doubt would have infuriated you if you'd been about at the time. One of the great strengths of English is that it is so flexible and adaptable, and doesn't just remain static.

Clearly you understand neither the history of English or English history that well. Nor the point I made about Standardisation.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What grammarians say should be has perhaps less influence on what shall be than even the more modest of them realise; usage evolves itself little disturbed by their likes & dislikes. And yet the temptation to show how better use might have been made of the material to hand is sometimes irresistible. — H. W. Fowler, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage 1926

Can you not read? I said I wasn’t talking about grammar finery. Sake, back to basics bakero. A is for Apple, B is for Bear, C is for ? :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Do you remember that character played by Geoffrey Palmer in 'The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin'?

That's you, that is.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can you not read? I said I wasn’t talking about grammar finery. Sake, back to basics bakero. A is for Apple, B is for Bear, C is for ? :)

Who's talking about finery? This is an argument of descriptivism v prescriptivism, which you seem to think was won by some blokes in the 19th century.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
On Popmaster when a contestant states: “I wouldn’t have got that Ken”, just after he tells them the answer - this happens virtually every day! You didn’t feckin get it, there’s no “wouldn’t have” about it, you muppet. You didn’t get it! Grrrrrrr.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've never used it before, but seeing the way it triggers certain posters, I am going to start using "Can I get...?"

:)

On a serious point, this is fairly typical response by modern illiterates. No attempt to improve or better themselves, always feel affronted if corrected and they’d rather make up an entire new language of words, correct application etc to cover up their ignorance. But then we live in an era where plenty of role models and influencers are very stupid and poorly educated, it’s no wonder their followers adopt the same mistakes. If you think it’s ok to use incorrectly applied language, think of all the situations where others don’t understand or misunderstand, and consequences of. It’s a huge problem day to day in millions of situations. Personally I believe it’s better we all understood one another, makes for a simpler life and better, less conflicted society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here