Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Winning v Leading Pet Hates

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Do you remember that character played by Geoffrey Palmer in 'The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin'?

That's you, that is.

Is that supposed to be funny or insulting or both? Either way it’s not worked. You also make one of my points for me. Thank you.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Who's talking about finery? This is an argument of descriptivism v prescriptivism, which you seem to think was won by some blokes in the 19th century.

Your copy and paste was poking fun at grammar snobs/police when I’d clearly said I wasn’t talking about the fineries of. Which makes you a manipulative mischievous scoundrel of the highest order. Guilty as charged. Take him down.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
On a serious point, this is fairly typical response by modern illiterates. No attempt to improve or better themselves, always feel affronted if corrected and they’d rather make up an entire new language of words, correct application etc to cover up their ignorance. But then we live in an era where plenty of role models and influencers are very stupid and poorly educated, it’s no wonder their followers adopt the same mistakes. If you think it’s ok to use incorrectly applied language, think of all the situations where others don’t understand or misunderstand, and consequences of. It’s a huge problem day to day in millions of situations. Personally I believe it’s better we all understood one another, makes for a simpler life and better, less conflicted society.

I'm a 'modern illiterate'? :lolol:

No, mate, I'm not. I see language evolving, in English as it does with all languages, and I don't feel threatened by it. It doesn't worry me, and I am happy to go with the flow.

Language has always evolved, is continuing to evolve and will always evolve.

The only conflict that I can see here is from those who get upset that things change.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
2. Commentators, The keeper was beaten, when it hits a post or goes behind. NO! he's only beaten when it goes in the net. > He was unlucky it hit the bar, NO! He wasn't unlucky he wasn't accurate enough. IMHO.

It does my nut that they don`t class a shot off the woodwork as a shot on target , the target is the goal , the posts and crossbar are the very definition of the goal:shrug:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is that supposed to be funny or insulting or both? Either way it’s not worked. You also make one of my points for me. Thank you.

Well, it amuses me to imagine you like that.

If you think that I am helping you make your point, that's lovely.

However, you are, in my humble opinion, talking nonsense.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Back to pet hates.
When I go to a pub or restaurant to eat, (anyone remember doing this? :down:) as soon as I have a mouthful of food a waiter will appear and ask if everything is ok with my meal.
Also when the food is brought to the table by the waiter they will ask “any sauces?” and then disappear for 5 minutes.
Some places do have the sauce on the table or bring them to the table after taking the meal order.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Wow, this thread has been 'hijacked' by the NSC intelligentsia, and is sounding awfully like an A-Level English tutorial

Back to the thread................being called 'Young Man' by an over-familiar shop worker as in, "Yes Young Man, how can I help?" when the bloke asking the question is only a few years older than yourself (and I'm 47!!)

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Could of. It's not even English. When did could've become could of in these moron's minds?

When they learned to speak before they learned to read. It's one of those mistakes that native english speakers make that people who foreign speakers of english don't.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm a 'modern illiterate'? :lolol:

No, mate, I'm not. I see language evolving, in English as it does with all languages, and I don't feel threatened by it. It doesn't worry me, and I am happy to go with the flow.

Language has always evolved, is continuing to evolve and will always evolve.

The only conflict that I can see here is from those who get upset that things change.

It’s not about evolving, feeling threatened! Honestly, give me strength, sake...It’s about the correct use of. Can I get is completely acceptable if you want to fetch something and ask permission firstly to do so. But it’s a completely wrong application in a bar, coffee shop etc when placing an order. That’s all. You’re a ****ing moron if you don’t understand that and feel affronted by someone pointing that out. It’s your choice, and I think I’m beginning to know which you’d rather be thought of as. Which would again illustrate one of my points beautifully...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
"Let's agree to disagree."

Firstly, you don't have to agree to disagree, you just disagree.

Secondly it's always said by some complete idiot just after you have comprehensively dismantled their argument.
When i hear people use this it's usually against some bullying idiot that won't accept they're in the wrong

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well, it amuses me to imagine you like that.

If you think that I am helping you make your point, that's lovely.

However, you are, in my humble opinion, talking nonsense.

The cheek of it! You’re now confusing nonsense with being tutored in the correct use of language. Bet you were a right too cool for skool. I hope the irony of that deliberate spelling wasn’t lost on you. But thank you, you have made one of my points beautifully. I’ll leave you to work out which one.

Anyway, back to pet hates. People who when completely in the wrong simply cannot bear to admit...:lolol::rock::wrong::D

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It’s not about evolving, feeling threatened! Honestly, give me strength, sake...It’s about the correct use of. Can I get is completely acceptable if you want to fetch something and ask permission firstly to do so. But it’s a completely wrong application in a bar, coffee shop etc when placing an order. That’s all. You’re a ****ing moron if you don’t understand that and feel affronted by someone pointing that out. It’s your choice, and I think I’m beginning to know which you’d rather be thought of as. Which would again illustrate one of my points beautifully...

To quote leading lexicographical legend Craig David, can I get a rewind? I asked earlier in the thread what those who harbour these strict standards of correctness base them on but I'm still awaiting an explanation.

I've studied linguistics and spent years teaching the English language and no one has given me the big book of rules yet. Do you have a copy?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The cheek of it! You’re now confusing nonsense with being tutored in the correct use of language. Bet you were a right too cool for skool. I hope the irony of that deliberate spelling wasn’t lost on you. But thank you, you have made one of my points beautifully. I’ll leave you to work out which one.

Anyway, back to pet hates. People who when completely in the wrong simply cannot bear to admit...:lolol::rock::wrong::D

:lolol:

You, continue to spout nonsense. You are not 'tutoring' me, or anyone else, in the correct use of language, as you clearly don't understand how languages work.

If you read literature, which I assume you do, being such a knowledgeable linguist, you will notice that it's not just the spoken language that has evolved, but the written word too - what was considered normal in the 20s, 30s, 40s...every decade, seems quaint and dated now.

'Can I get...?' seems to especially annoy you. It is colloquial, and everyone knows what it means. Yes, it originated in the States, but that's the way things go, c'est la vie. (Oh God, you'll really be cross now...)

Calling me a moron because I don't agree with you? Well, that's moronic.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
To quote leading lexicographical legend Craig David, can I get a rewind? I asked earlier in the thread what those who harbour these strict standards of correctness base them on but I'm still awaiting an explanation.

I've studied linguistics and spent years teaching the English language and no one has given me the big book of rules yet. Do you have a copy?

As I earlier, maybe do some history too then. :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
:lolol:

You, continue to spout nonsense. You are not 'tutoring' me, or anyone else, in the correct use of language, as you clearly don't understand how languages work.

If you read literature, which I assume you do, being such a knowledgeable linguist, you will notice that it's not just the spoken language that has evolved, but the written word too - what was considered normal in the 20s, 30s, 40s...every decade, seems quaint and dated now.

'Can I get...?' seems to especially annoy you. It is colloquial, and everyone knows what it means. Yes, it originated in the States, but that's the way things go, c'est la vie. (Oh God, you'll really be cross now...)

Calling me a moron because I don't agree with you? Well, that's moronic.

Everyone does NOT use it! And the only reason we all generally let it go is because it’s become so adopted on mass that you’ve got to translate such incorrect usage if you work behind a bar etc. But it doesn’t make it right?! Or are they teaching this on the curriculum now? FFS, in this matter, you are the epitome of a bigoted moron who gets affronted even when correctly called out, whether that’s done in a nice manner or, as I’m now doing, with brute insults, but only because I want to see if that will penetrate your thick head instead as an alternative strategy. Seemingly not. Which makes you truly :dunce: That is my final comment. No point arguing with stupid as they say. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here