Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you sign the Leeds Utd petition?

Will you sign the Leeds Utd petition?

• Total voters

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I would, but I'm worming the cat. Actually, I wouldn't.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Are you off your trolley?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who on EARTH voted YES?

crodonilson, REDLAND and seagullss

We can explain the second one if we find out that Steve Jobs or Richard Branson is a Leeds fan, anyway...

crodonilson ALWAYS takes the contrary viewpoint for a laugh.

"plastic fans should be respected"
"the FA and Brian Barwick are highly competent and do a fine job"
"Steve McLaren WAS the right man for the job"
"The 39th game is a good idea, the Premier League should be giving something back to other countries"
"Leeds deserve their 15 points back"

:rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think what annoys me about this more than anything else is the fact that the blurb on their site is suggesting they're doing it for the good of football and lower league football fans in particular, when nothing could be further from the truth.

The fact is that they overspent, then went into administration and took the 10 point deduction only once relegation was all but confirmed - which blatently goes against the spirit of why that rule was put in place. So the 15 point deduction was merely natural justice as far as I'm concerned (I'm not sure whether they broke any rules or merely showed their usual contempt for the spirit of the rules) and I'm praying they're still in this league next season. The fact that they've got a massive squad but absolutely shit management is simply icing on the cake.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the appeal against this points deduction fails (as its clearly spurious), can the Football League then DOUBLE the penalty and deduct another 15 points ?

That would be funny, wouldn't it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If the appeal against this points deduction fails (as its clearly spurious), can the Football League then DOUBLE the penalty and deduct another 15 points ?

f***ing hilarious:laugh::laugh::laugh:

G'wan FA. You know it makes sense

char_del.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
crodonilson, REDLAND and seagullss

We can explain the second one if we find out that Steve Jobs or Richard Branson is a Leeds fan, anyway...

I think I should explain, I don't know enough about it to know whether they should ahve their 15 points back. Why have they been deducted 10 points and then a further 15 when other clubs have only been given 10 points??

Also lets be honest if it wasn't Leeds would anyone really care??

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
crodonilson ALWAYS takes the contrary viewpoint for a laugh.

"plastic fans should be respected"
"the FA and Brian Barwick are highly competent and do a fine job"
"Steve McLaren WAS the right man for the job"
"The 39th game is a good idea, the Premier League should be giving something back to other countries"
"Leeds deserve their 15 points back"

:rolleyes:

I haven't said Leeds deserve their 15 points back, I just think they should be dealt with the same as anyone else that goes into administration, I feel they have been made an example of because of who they are which is not fair.

I also never said the 39th game was a good idea, just that it should be explored and that Barwick had never said it was as you quoted "a fantastic idea".

Steve McLaren as I have said again and again was the comittee's choice and not just Barwick s and at the time when nobody wanted a foreigner after Ericsson he was the best English man for the job, he's still a decent coach and I think will prove so in the future at which time you're welcome to apologise to me.

Dandyman

In London village.

Fantastic idea. I think someone should start a petition...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I haven't said Leeds deserve their 15 points back, I just think they should be dealt with the same as anyone else that goes into administration, I feel they have been made an example of because of who they are which is not fair.
After their initial 10 point deduction, Leeds managed to commit a whole new offence by coming out of adminstration without an agreed CVA in place, so they were hit with a whole new punishment. They were fortunate to get their Golden Share back to enable them to play this season in the first place, so in that context, this additional 15 point deduction was a relative slap on the wrist and perfectly justifiable.

I also never said the 39th game was a good idea, just that it should be explored and that Barwick had never said it was as you quoted "a fantastic idea".
It was Scudamore who quoted Barwick as saying it was a "fantastic idea", not me. At that stage though, the FA were still hiding behind the curtains waiting to see what FIFA would make of it all before coming out with their "own" views on the plan.
Steve McLaren as I have said again and again was the comittee's choice and not just Barwick s and at the time when nobody wanted a foreigner after Ericsson he was the best English man for the job, he's still a decent coach and I think will prove so in the future at which time you're welcome to apologise to me.
And as I've proved again and again, McLaren was, in Barwicks words, always his "first choice".
Primarily because of Barwick and McLaren, England are sitting out a major tournament this year. I don't care if McLaren wins the 2010 World Cup with Canada, you'll get no apology from me.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see what happens with the next club that comes out of administration; whether the Revenue will persue them in the same manner, and whether that forces another club to follow Leeds path through a private sale.

However, saying that, I think that Leeds were punished for a plethora of reasons. It's just that 'not coming out of administration via a CVA' was the easiest one to affix a formal punishment to.

The club took the piss (or 'played the rules' depending upon your point of view) by taking the 10 point deduction after confirming relegation. Not only did they do this, but they did it in the most brazen of terms. If memory serves, did they not effectively warn the FA/FL that they were going to do it if they lost a certain game?

The club (primarily Ken himself actually) fiddled a dodgy re-sale to Uncle Ken by having creditors (who Bates of course didn't know, honest Guv) who would only accept Ken's offer for the club. This offer, or at least the initial offer, took the piss out of the creditors, chief amongst which was the Revenue. The general populace realise that conning money out of the Revenue is effectively conning money out of you and me (as we pay taxes), so wasn't going to be popular with football fans in general.

Given that (and probably several other things I've forgotten), then quite frankly Leeds can go get stuffed.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think I should explain, I don't know enough about it to know whether they should ahve their 15 points back. Why have they been deducted 10 points and then a further 15 when other clubs have only been given 10 points??

Also lets be honest if it wasn't Leeds would anyone really care??

Yes, but only because of where they are in the league. I want us to get in the play-offs. Giving Leeds (or anyone else in there position) 15 points would make it much more difficult for us.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Sorry no the management knew the rules of the league and its through mismanagement that they got in the mess they were in what a waste of millions its very sad but I think they will eventually get back to the premiership.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's the fans who are ultimately punished though and it's them who I feel sorry for. Wouldn't there be a better way of punishing those who took them into administration??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here