Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you see another tory government in your lifetime?

Will we see another Tory government in our lifetime?

• No. Gordon is taking us to a better place and it isnt the local Conservative club.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Yes. I am 94 years of age.

Votes: 45 67.2%

• Total voters

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I certainly hope and expect so!

- the economy in recesssion
- national debt soaring to unprecedented levels
- inflation at 5.2% - it's highest since 1992
- unemployment at 1.8 million - it's highest since 1999 and rising faster than any time since 1992
- billions wasted in schools and hospitals on politically motivated targets
- The disgraced Prince of Darkness back in the cabinet
- Scottish Nationalist running rampant

and all this while Gordon 'prudence' and 'no more boom and bust' Brown is a asleep at the wheel.

Surely, not even Dave Cameron's Tories can do worse than this?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire

- unemployment at 1.8 million - it's highest since 1999 and rising faster than any time since 1992

and all this while Gordon 'prudence' and 'no more boom and bust' Brown is a asleep at the wheel.

Granted the Country is in recession, but lets see how it compares with the last two in Thatchers and Major Govt

National Debt is not at unprecedented levels. Its still below most EU countries inc Germany and is lower than that in the 1980s (when we wasted oil and debt servicing 4 million unemployed)

Inflation is high, but not comparitively so. You have chosen 1992, which of course was during the Tory Govt

Yep, unemployment is increasing, but it was 4 million under the Torys

Billions wasted on Schools/NHS. Well it is if you dont feel that they are important enough. Any measure of education and NHS shows things are improving.

Peter Mandelson........ok I'll let you have that one

SNP. I think their independence bubble has been broken by the financial crisis. They would have been another Iceland if independent. Anyway, if they want independence let them, they are a drain on Englands purse anyway.

David Camerons lot will do a lot worse. Believe me as I'm old enough to have seen a number of Tory Govts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/politics97/budget97/live/housing.shtml

Mr Brown said: "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." He said he was determined that the UK should not return to the "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980s and 1990s.

:dunce:

edit: I have just found this great blog...

Iain Dale's Diary: Gordon Brown Quotes of the Day

I think this is my favourite...

"In future regulatory systems there will be both greater attention to issues of solvency and liquidity and probably a pro-cyclical attitude where in a period of growth you have got to lay aside more for the possibility that there will be contractions."

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Granted the Country is in recession, but lets see how it compares with the last two in Thatchers and Major Govt

National Debt is not at unprecedented levels. Its still below most EU countries inc Germany and is lower than that in the 1980s (when we wasted oil and debt servicing 4 million unemployed)

Inflation is high, but not comparitively so. You have chosen 1992, which of course was during the Tory Govt

Yep, unemployment is increasing, but it was 4 million under the Torys

Billions wasted on Schools/NHS. Well it is if you dont feel that they are important enough. Any measure of education and NHS shows things are improving.

Peter Mandelson........ok I'll let you have that one

SNP. I think their independence bubble has been broken by the financial crisis. They would have been another Iceland if independent. Anyway, if they want independence let them, they are a drain on Englands purse anyway.

David Camerons lot will do a lot worse. Believe me as I'm old enough to have seen a number of Tory Govts.
i'd be interested in the criteria you use to state that education is improving, the nhs may or may not have improved but certainly not enough to justify the billions that have been spunked on it,more power to the snp , the sooner they f*** off and stop being a millstone around english necks the better( and please can nobody quote oil revenue, the proportion extra they get from central govt dwarfs oil revenue, and a vast proportion of it would be in english waters anyway under international boundary law), inflation is cerainly rising but i'll grant that is due to factors largely outside govt control, and unemployment certainly wasnt 4 mio when the tories left office.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
One thing is for certain - like him or not, this crisis is to Brown what the Falklands War was to Thatcher. And to take the analogy further - the rich scum in the City who didn't give a shit about anyone but themselves are Galtieri's generals......hopefully the entire capitalist system will be the Belgrano, BUT without any loss of life!!!!

kinda lingers

Dec 25, 2006
Uckfield
Given Gordon is now being widely hailed as the saviour of the world

'Has the PM saved the world? the British government went to the heart of the problem and moved to address it with stunning speed' - Paul Krugman Nobel prize winner for economics.

, a supreme politician and European statesman. With this will come a level of Dick Knight style untouchability. Do you think you will ever see another tory government in your lifetime?

Bollocks !!

I know somebody who works at the Bank of England & if we'd done what the government were planning, the UK would be bust ! That was what that meeting was all about the weekend before last.

The Bank of England devised the current plans so they should be congratulated, not the fooking politicians who haven't got a clue.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
One thing is for certain - like him or not, this crisis is to Brown what the Falklands War was to Thatcher. And to take the analogy further - the rich scum in the City who didn't give a shit about anyone but themselves are Galtieri's generals......hopefully the entire capitalist system will be the Belgrano, BUT without any loss of life!!!!
to be honest i think the best analogy for brown and darling is john nott and lord carrington, only brown and darling wouldnt have the gumption to resign after making such a balls up of things , this crisis cant be laid at the feet of the labour government, but there are plenty that can , and that will be enough to ensure a tory government at the next election.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i'd be interested in the criteria you use to state that education is improving, the nhs may or may not have improved but certainly not enough to justify the billions that have been spunked on it,more power to the snp , the sooner they f*** off and stop being a millstone around english necks the better( and please can nobody quote oil revenue, the proportion extra they get from central govt dwarfs oil revenue, and a vast proportion of it would be in english waters anyway under international boundary law), inflation is cerainly rising but i'll grant that is due to factors largely outside govt control, and unemployment certainly wasnt 4 mio when the tories left office.

Education clearly has not improved. There are still some people who believe a tory government would have done better. It would appear we still need to educate some people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
to be honest i think the best analogy for brown and darling is john nott and lord carrington, only brown and darling wouldnt have the gumption to resign after making such a balls up of things , this crisis cant be laid at the feet of the labour government, but there are plenty that can , and that will be enough to ensure a tory government at the next election.

Have you done any work today? No wonder the financial services are in meltdown. :laugh:

larus

So, the 'establishment' devised a plan, that may or may not have originated from Brown/Darling - no-one apart from those on the inside can say where the plan originated from, however GB has a track record of taking the plaudits when things appear to be going well, and the disappearing faster then a snowman in a heatwave when things are getting tricky.

However, just because things have 'stabilised' at the moment, it's a huge assumption to make that this has resolved the crisis in the financial markets. I fear there is a lot more shit to come our way, and the economy is going to go through a rough time over the next few years.

When the election comes, the country will be in recession and unemployment rising.

I am fairly certain that the next government will be Tory.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in approximately 2 years , stop dreaming mate , you know and i know they will be out on their sorry sleaze ridden , corrupt, snouts in the trough arses .

That was Gordon Brown the Prime Minister leader of the Labour party he was talking about .......not the tories who you seem to have described in your post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here