Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we make ANY signings?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
Not a lot of constructive chat here then. I guess I should just hand over my cash, close my eyes and KEEP THE FAITH?

At last, I do believe Lammy's got it :clap: Welcome, and would you like to buy some rather unusually coloured spectacles :)

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
What's really frustrating about the lack of transfer activity is seeing nearly every other team in the entire league making new signings. All we seem to be doing at the moment is either losing players or simply re-signing existing players. It's not very inspiring.
It just feels like we are reliving the last time we were in this division. No signings until after the season starts, giving the young players a go and watching them fail miserably.
We've still got a few weeks to go until the season starts, but if we don't have the 4 new players that McGhee told us he wanted then we could be in for a real struggle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree with Lammy but would say that in his defence I believe that MM has to be EXTRA cautious when making signings that they are the right ones as we cannot afford another DAVID CAMERON/DIRK LEHMAN situation of paying the wages of players bought in who aren't good enough. We have enough players who could be classed as squad players but we need some brought in who will be first choice first teamers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I keep telling you lot that it doesn't matter!

Falmer is the be and end all of everything concerning the club.

If we lose every game next year, it doesn't matter.

until Falmer is built in 4 years time, we will be treading water.

Stop getting excited!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm not getting excited. That's the issue! This has got to be the most boring close season EVER! If it wasn't for Euro 2004 it would have been a nightmare!

Whilst I agree Falmer is effectively the be all and end all in the long term. In the mean time I still support Brighton and would rather they didn't get whipped week in week out. If we get Falmer we'll need to put bums on seats laddy and we ain't going to do that if we don't win a few games.

I'm not asking for big name signings. I'm not even asking for lots of signing. What I would like is a bit more interest in the rest of the squad other than strikers! We desperately need midfield players. Roger and Carpenter are not going to be fully fit at the start of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hopefully the bones of Simon Rodger won't creak too much and he will be an asset to us again. He has proved he can play at this level the question is can he STILL perform at this level. I hope so. I would rather MM take his time and find the right man/men than follow last season and pay wages to players like Denis- Wilson (whatever his name was) who only showed anything against Arundel. What division are they in?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BensGrandad said:
Hopefully the bones of Simon Rodger won't creak too much and he will be an asset to us again. He has proved he can play at this level the question is can he STILL perform at this level. I hope so. I would rather MM take his time and find the right man/men than follow last season and pay wages to players like Denis- Wilson (whatever his name was) who only showed anything against Arundel. What division are they in?

That's the point though isn't it. Shouldn't he be looking at more than just three strikers NOW rather than after the start of the season when he will be FORCED to panic buy?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
McGhee will get it right. There are not many British strikers left to bring on trial and foreign ones will not always want to come on trial as there will be expenses.There are not many players worth pursuing at the moment and we may need to loan a striker.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:

Please don't tarnish me with the same brush as FG et al just because I have dared to question the clubs handling of pre season again!

Errr I wasn't

My post was poking fun at myself and the dreadful weekend on Nsc when only Ernest Bens Grandad and Berkshire were posting.

Hence me laughing at Titanic's gentle teasing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lammy...you are concerning yorself about nothing....it doesn't matter....we are losing money hand over fist, we cant afford first division wages and cant afford to buy anyone,....why worry yourself?

Just be thankful we can see some decent teams down here next year, who knows we may win some games.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I can sympathise with your view Lammy. However I've come to accept that Brighton only seem to sign players when they really have to. Was quite pleasing to see we didn't waste money on agents fees like Barnsley, Shef Weds et al. We seem to get better value for money out of our signings, and give them a chance over a coupleof seasons and not chop and change. Point in case is Guy Butters who a lot of clubs would have shipped out after hois first season. We stuck with him and got a great season out of him. Hopefully the same will happen with Piercy next year.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Stoaty Ferret said:
I can sympathise with your view Lammy. However I've come to accept that Brighton only seem to sign players when they really have to. Was quite pleasing to see we didn't waste money on agents fees like Barnsley, Shef Weds et al. We seem to get better value for money out of our signings, and give them a chance over a coupleof seasons and not chop and change. Point in case is Guy Butters who a lot of clubs would have shipped out after hois first season. We stuck with him and got a great season out of him. Hopefully the same will happen with Piercy next year.

I'm not expecting us to set the world on fire here. Until we get Falmer we are always going to be a small fish in a big pond. But apart from these three strikers which not even the Argus can find out who they are. There has not even been any speculation about new signing, loans or trials. It's got so bad that even rumours about Kitson rejoining us become believable!

Let's start tapping up a few players, get a few youg hopefuls inon trial that's what pre-season is for!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
Errr I wasn't

My post was poking fun at myself and the dreadful weekend on Nsc when only Ernest Bens Grandad and Berkshire were posting.

Hence me laughing at Titanic's gentle teasing.

Why are you so smug as if EVERYBODY else is talking b......s except you.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Stoaty Ferret said:
Yeah its value alright 100 quid a week wages:p

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I would rather MM take his time and find the right man/men than follow last season and pay wages to players like Denis- Wilson (whatever his name was)
Or David Lee :angry:

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Leon will only be missing for 3 games. We should be able to cover that OK, with a new target man alongside Robinson.

However, I have no doubt that we will finish bottom of the division unless we sign 2 or 3 midfielders who are capable of keeping the ball, so relieving the pressure on our defence by teams who can keep the ball reasonably well.

Oatway, Hart, Jones etc will be found out again next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here