Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we make ANY signings?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BensGrandad said:
Jakle Robinson looked to have been playing at his level in the friendly vs Worthing. It is early days but I feel that he is too slow of thought as he couldn't read what the other players were going to do. He was completly cut out at every move by the big coloured centre back of Worthing (not rasict but do not know his name and the best way to describe which one of the two central defenders). He was too slow, at 17 you expect them to be very quick, not enough meat on him due to his age and was knoocked off the ball too easily. His first touch was awful. Can not see him being the answer to our prayers for a striker for a long time yet ,definitely not this season in this division,but we must persevere because he is young and has potential.

He'll put weight on with age. His link up play will improve the more chances he gets to play with the first team. What I would be more interested to see is his awareness and instinct for goal, first touch etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At least we agree on his first touch etc but it is good and refreshing to have somebody on here prepared to give an opinion and discuss another persons opinions without resorting to 'slagging them off' and name calling.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It was Jake's first game of the season though. I agree that he is not the answer to our problems but he will blossom as a player the more he gets involved with the first team. Hopefully with Leon to look up to he can learn a few tricks and become a dangerous little player. I have always been wary of people building him up to be something that he is not. He's not Michael Owen, after all.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Jakle Robinson looked to have been playing at his level in the friendly vs Worthing. It is early days but I feel that he is too slow of thought as he couldn't read what the other players were going to do. He was completly cut out at every move by the big coloured centre back of Worthing (not rasict but do not know his name and the best way to describe which one of the two central defenders). He was too slow, at 17 you expect them to be very quick, not enough meat on him due to his age and was knoocked off the ball too easily. His first touch was awful. Can not see him being the answer to our prayers for a striker for a long time yet ,definitely not this season in this division,but we must persevere because he is young and has potential.
As, for some reason, you have deemed it necessary to put the same thing on 2 different threads this morning :shootself I'm going to answer it on here too.

Friendlies are about getting match fit for 7th August. It is the middle of July and the players will have done a lot of hard fitness work so far. I do not expect to see particularly good performances from anyone in the middle of July. Judging anyone on the basis of last night is ridiculous.

Some of us have seen Jake Robinson play a lot for the reserves and remember his excellent contributions in the first team against Forest Green, Grimsby (A), Stockport (A), Brentford (H) etc. Admittedly, not Championship teams, but pretty impressive stuff all the same.

One thing that Ben's Grandad failed to mention was Jake's runs, which are top rate and already better than Leon's.

The only bit of Ben's Grandad's contribution I can agree with is the final 10 words. Any other assessment in the middle of July is very premature.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His runs were good but when the ball came to him he didn't get on the end of it or was bundled off of the ball easily. I thought that he was a shadow, as would be expected , of Leon Knight. One particular incident which happened directly in front of me some 5 yrds away was in the first half when Packham went down at his feet on the edge of the box and didn't have any hands on the ball but still managed to stop JR from getting the ball by just laying on the ground in his way. A prospective goalscorer in our division should have been able to control the ball and skip- around Packham. Showed his inexperience which may or may not come through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here