Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
To be fair in my Grandads time around the war they were the best side as explained by the Wikipedia entry, because people had connections to the military they got a lot of neutral support.

1948–49 and 1949–50: Champions of England

League football resumed for the 1946–47 campaign after five years and Portsmouth continued in the First Division. Portsmouth had a large advantage during the war where a lot of footballers had to move to Portsmouth to serve at the docks. Because of this they decided to play for the closest professional team and Portsmouth had the pick of the best. In their "Golden Jubilee" season of 1948–49, the club were tipped to be the first team of the 20th century to win the Football League and FA Cup double, but crashed out of the FA Cup in the semi-final against Leicester City. They still made up for it by claiming the league title in spectacular fashion. That season also saw them record a (then) massive attendance of 51,385, a club record which still stands to this day. The club powered their way to the title the following year, beating Aston Villa 5–1 on the last day of the season, and are thus one of only five English teams to have won back to back titles since World War II.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I was down in Gosport on business earlier this week so popped along to Fratton Park with a couple of Portsmouth supporting mates to 'enjoy' the football. First thing I noticed was the £20 asking price for a ticket, for a midweek game in the First Division! £3.70 for a beer (I asked for bitter and got some awful bottled IPA) at half time also seemed a bit steep; certainly won't encourage more supporters at those prices. This was the day before Appleton decided he had had enough and headed north; not that I blame him, he was sold a complete pup when he took the job. To be fair, the fans that were there in the main stand (is it the West stand behind the goal?) were making a fair amount of noise but the very small Brentford contingent were matching them. The West and East stands seemed to be very quiet. I really don't see a way out for Pompey, and if they don't get out of admin soon they will have another 10 point deduction that will see them well into the drop zone, and on the pitch they don't seem to have the quality. I sense that Div 2 beckons that makes them even less attractive to potential bidders. I sense it's the supporters or nothing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the 10 point deduction is a formality anyway: that was for still being in admin at the start of the season, wasn't it? Pompey whinged to the League to have it temporarily held off so they could pretend to potential investors that they were a more attractive proposition.

I was under the impression that it was inevitable, it would just be applied when they finally get their arses in gear and out of administration. Admittedly, that could well be some time around 2019, but we live in hope.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I just don't get some people on here.

You obviously aren't football fans...any fan worth anything could see past a little rivalry to realise that real fans care about Pompey, just as real fans care about the albion.

Pathetic.
i agree a lot of teams surpoted us when we where fighting for survival lets not get arrogant who would we slag off if Palace went bust.?:wink:

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Surely the 10 point deduction is a formality anyway: that was for still being in admin at the start of the season, wasn't it? Pompey whinged to the League to have it temporarily held off so they could pretend to potential investors that they were a more attractive proposition.

I was under the impression that it was inevitable, it would just be applied when they finally get their arses in gear and out of administration. Admittedly, that could well be some time around 2019, but we live in hope.
You may well be right, I can't say I'm that well read on the subject.

I thought that the FL had said that Chanrai wasn't acceptable under the fit and proper persons guidlines hence the Supporters Trust becoming the favored bidders.

Is this the first time anyone has ever failed the "fit and proper..." test? I thought it was just tick boxes yes or no to the question "are you a fit and proper person to own a football club".

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
At what point,it can`t come soon enough for me.How many small businesses have gone bust because the scum will not pay there creditors, while they pay out thousands a week in wages to there players:angry:

Either when they come out of administration, or 12 months after they entered it. Which ever is sooner. But that will come this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Their owner is just the same as Archer, except he's not from Britain, so really doesn't care what people think. He's robbing the club of everything it owns, and there's really nothing the supporters can do about it. Sure we went on more marches etc, but in reality a few marches and the support of the local community wouldn't make any difference.

The FA rules on fit and proper person are beyond a joke, and as the owner he was able to build up debts against the club at will (lending the club money at ridiculous rates etc) which makes him a major (the main?) creditor, so buying the club means paying off his own made up debts.

Were Pompey fans smug when they won the FA cup - yes, but so would we have been. The fact is their club has been screwed over, just the same as ours was (except they did have some money spunked on success before the robbers came in), so they have my empathy.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Just in case anyone missed it!

McLeod on the verge of rejoining Dons - MK DONS - Milton Keynes Citizen

Published on Tuesday 1 January 2013 20:15

IZALE McLeod looks set to become an MK Dons player again this week after his release from Portsmouth.

Karl Robinson was pleased to reveal that talks were in an advanced stage on Tuesday night, with the 28-year-old taking a pay cut to make the move.

McLeod, who left the club for Charlton in 2007, has lived in Milton Keynes for a while now and is desperate to make a return to the club where he made his name.

And with the club’s all-time leading scorer returning, Robinson is excited to see him perform.

“I’ve met him, spoken to him again, and we’re not too far away,” he said. “He’s scored a lot of goals in League 2 and for Portsmouth too.

“He’s someone I’m looking forward to working with. I was part of the staff when we sold him, and I came in a week or so after he left. I knew he has lived inteh area and has always wanted to come back, but for whatever circumstances, it hasn’t come about.

“People need to realise that Izale McLeod massively wants to be here and financially, he’s taken a hit to be here. When people do that for a football club, I will always be willing to have them here.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
large

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here