Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will God help Madeline McCann?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Re: Re: Re: Will God help Madeline McCann?

Lokki 7 said:

Dave the Gaffer. I can only speak for myself of course, but I am not ridiculing religion, I just cannot logically see how they can turn to god when their religon expressly states that god has the power to prevent this from happening. If it was my daughter and I held their beliefs then I would be mighty pissed off at god. I do not understand why they are not.

Thats always been my issue as well. Wonder what a priests response would be?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tooting Gull said:
Probably depends on how much you think about your beliefs. I guarantee that vicars/priests up and down the land have reflected on this, as they do with many tragedies, and it will have made for some awkward sermons. What's the reason? What purpose does this serve in God's grand design? Most Christians I know go through a very hard time rationalising their faith after something like this, though many come through it.

of course......

If every disaster was blamed on a so called God, then you are right we would all end up being athiests. the extermination of 6million of God's Chosen People would have served that purpose many times over

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
sir danny cullip said:
Of course you can, if you think that they are in safe hands or it is very unlikely to come to any harm but the fact is that leaving 3 children under the age of 4 in a holiday apartment in an unknown country, and lets face it relatively unknown surroundings for all the family not only the children, is not safe surroundings for anyone. I am definately one for often thinking how parents wrap kids up in cotton wool these days and should give them more space to breath etc but what they did is just totally wrong imo.

Well I am not going to judge them. I have stayed at that resort - in the blocks next to the Mark Warner ones. I don't know if I would have made the same judgement, but these are not bad people - they just made a poor judgement.

Which we all do over the years - they just did not get away with it.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dave the Gaffer said:
and you know that for a FACT do you?

Well I have never seen or heard him !

Do you know for a FACT he does exist?

People are brainwashed from an early age believing this God crap.

Its bordering on insanity that people talk to the sky thinking somebody is listening to their troubles.

If you take a step back from your own beliefs for one moment and look at it logically, dont you think its weird?

???

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
i thought it was in the find you kids hand book that kissing candles and not going out to look is always the first thing to do

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Wookiee said:
Well I have never seen or heard him !

Do you know for a FACT he does exist?

People are brainwashed from an early age believing this God crap.

Its bordering on insanity that people talk to the sky thinking somebody is listening to their troubles.

If you take a step back from your own beliefs for one moment and look at it logically, dont you think its weird?

???

No

You either believe or dont. There are far more brilliant minds than any of us who have devoted their lives to a belief in a diety of some sort.

Its a highly personal thing, but one that it very easy to have a pop at!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If you asked me of my life, parts of it would be built on lavish self-adorned eulogies, the majority of which untrue. My conquests, my disasters, my timid betrayals, my egotistical bruisings. All peppered and illicitly mis-directed, manouvreing them far from the 'truth', which seems and seemed that much emptier than how i could believe it should be painted. All our memories are deceitful and brushed for satisfaction. And our tenets their equal, daubed as excuses and apologies for our bad behaviour.

Now, i would love to argue with the religious and point out the flaws in their flying carpets, but what's the point? I can't consider myself such a huge directorial figure as to persuade people what keeps them going is f***ing stupid, and the ancient writings of it mis-spelt.
Wouldn't that just make me look like even more of a cock?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dave the Gaffer said:
No

You either believe or dont. There are far more brilliant minds than any of us who have devoted their lives to a belief in a diety of some sort.

Its a highly personal thing, but one that it very easy to have a pop at!

I was not having a pop, I just dont get it .

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Meade's_Ball said:
If you asked me of my life, parts of it would be built on lavish self-adorned eulogies, the majority of which untrue. My conquests, my disasters, my timid betrayals, my egotistical bruisings. All peppered and illicitly mis-directed, manouvreing them far from the 'truth', which seems and seemed that much emptier than how i could believe it should be painted. All our memories are deceitful and brushed for satisfaction. And our tenets their equal, daubed as excuses and apologies for our bad behaviour.

Now, i would love to argue with the religious and point out the flaws in their flying carpets, but what's the point? I can't consider myself such a huge directorial figure as to persuade people what keeps them going is f***ing stupid, and the ancient writings of it mis-spelt.
Wouldn't that just make me look like even more of a cock?

Were I to engage The Meade Man's observations in theological discourse twood stand that agreement would in all probability be found and matched but to no wider avail might this unholy bond be given the ramblacious nature of both messrs as within the wider circle of posters conflict and escalated excess of reaction would prevail to no greater gain or benefit. In essence beer might be argued over mead anyway, but that prevarocation is for another day of boredom entirely wenceforth The Captains of folly and male cow's excrement might, excrementally dictating, lead to wild strayance from the mark of truth, relevance or validity in un mundo de loco, if you catch my drift. In conclusion may it be posed that the smell of freshly sliced blades from God's(?) green baize or horizonal visual staisfaction of a deep orange disposition could be the fruits of mere chance in a sphere of incomprehension....if you relate to my underlying implication?

:ohmy: :eek: :drink:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Captain Haddock said:
Were I to engage The Meade Man's observations in theological discourse twood stand that agreement would in all probability be found and matched but to no wider avail might this unholy bond be given the ramblacious nature of both messrs as within the wider circle of posters conflict and escalated excess of reaction would prevail to no greater gain or benefit. In essence beer might be argued over mead anyway, but that prevarocation is for another day of boredom entirely wenceforth The Captains of folly and male cow's excrement might, excrementally dictating, lead to wild strayance from the mark of truth, relevance or validity in un mundo de loco, if you catch my drift. In conclusion may it be posed that the smell of freshly sliced blades from God's(?) green baize or horizonal visual staisfaction of a deep orange disposition could be the fruits of mere chance in a sphere of incomprehension....if you relate to my underlying implication?

:ohmy: :eek: :drink:

Ditto.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:

At the end of the day ( literally), we will find out if there is such a thing as God when we die.

Before then, it is a matter of faith.

I fail to see why people with faith are subject to ridicule.

No, you will not find out if there's a god when you die. You'll be dead and you'll no longer be able to find out anything.

People with faith are subject to ridicule because they deserve to be ridiculed. If you believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden you'd be ridiculed. Irrational belief in a god is no different.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
... but at the end of the day if they had a bag full to the brim with notes totalling a million pounds they would not have left it in that room while they went for dinner FACT.

Very interesting comparison!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
goldstone said:

People with faith are subject to ridicule because they deserve to be ridiculed. If you believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden you'd be ridiculed. Irrational belief in a god is no different.

*blue touchpaper lit, dives for bunker*

Have you thought of applying for a job at the UN? Diplomatic Corps, perhaps?

I can see that sort of firm leadership resolving for good the Northern Ireland situation, the Middle East...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
goldstone said:
No, you will not find out if there's a god when you die. You'll be dead and you'll no longer be able to find out anything.

very astute

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
goldstone said:
Glad you recognise astute when you see it.

obviously...I bow to your infinite knowledge of what happens, or not when we die. You should have passed this on to the millions of people from the ancient Egyptions to the present day who were not aware of this fact and lived under the bliss of ignorance.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
goldstone said:

:clap2:

Dave the Gaffer said:
obviously...I bow to your infinite knowledge of what happens, or not when we die.

Everyone is entitled to their view, and of course we can never know the answer. For what it's worth, ie not very much, I like the scientific view. Every atom that goes to make up "you" in the physical sense will end up going into something else when you die, regardless of how you are disposed of. Worms, may nibble on you and turn you into mud, nutrients that tress or flowers suck up and shed back into the world. Or perhaps one day you will be crushed into a pool of oil to fuel someones car and be farted out into a poluted atmosphere to float around for centuries. Or maybe a diamond to adorn someones engagement ring. The list of possibilities is endless. Did you know that every iron atom in your body was formed in the centre of a super nova? And from there they ended up in you, how amazing is that? It is a fact that after you die, every last atom will live on in some shape or form, an incredible re-incarnation if you will. The million dollar question is will your soul live on? Is this a physical thing or something altogether different. To be honest, I don't really care either way but quite like thinking about it on sunny boring Fridays when the mind wanders and the pub beckons.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
obviously...I bow to your infinite knowledge of what happens, or not when we die. You should have passed this on to the millions of people from the ancient Egyptions to the present day who were not aware of this fact and lived under the bliss of ignorance.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We could turn into trees when we die.
We could fly through time to another galaxy.
We could come back as someone's pet labrador.

All equally as believable as meeting a god, going to heaven, going to hell or hanging around in purgatory.

Man created god because our ignorant ancestors needed something to explain the many wonders that science has since begun to unravel. The powerful among them endorsed and encouraged this belief as a way to keep control of their people.

I personally have no idea how television works. Therefore I could believe it was a god what done it. I am however smart enough to know that there are other people who do understand the workings of television.

Just because you don't understand something there's no need to take the easy route of believing there's a god. Science will reveal everything given time. I may not understand most of it, but one thing I am sure of is that there is no almighty being hanging around somewhere expecting us to pray to it.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lokki 7 said:
Everyone is entitled to their view, and of course we can never know the answer. For what it's worth, ie not very much, I like the scientific view. Every atom that goes to make up "you" in the physical sense will end up going into something else when you die, regardless of how you are disposed of. Worms, may nibble on you and turn you into mud, nutrients that tress or flowers suck up and shed back into the world. Or perhaps one day you will be crushed into a pool of oil to fuel someones car and be farted out into a poluted atmosphere to float around for centuries. Or maybe a diamond to adorn someones engagement ring. The list of possibilities is endless. Did you know that every iron atom in your body was formed in the centre of a super nova? And from there they ended up in you, how amazing is that? It is a fact that after you die, every last atom will live on in some shape or form, an incredible re-incarnation if you will. The million dollar question is will your soul live on? Is this a physical thing or something altogether different. To be honest, I don't really care either way but quite like thinking about it on sunny boring Fridays when the mind wanders and the pub beckons.

Now that makes a bit of sense, unlike the belief that there is some bloke with a beard living in the sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here