Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will God help Madeline McCann?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sir danny cullip said:
It's not that theyre subject to ridicule particularly, my whole family are catholics but the way I see it is this:

They have first of all as posted above been negligent in caring for their children, thats my opinion I know theres lots of different thoughts on it but at the end of the day if they had a bag full to the brim with notes totalling a million pounds they would not have left it in that room while they went for dinner FACT.

On the faith point people always use their faith for strength in times of crisis, it's not that people ridicule them but them going to see the pope will not help at all to bring madeline home apart from the fact that its a publicity stunt and gets a few more front page pictures and raises awareness. This has absolutely nothing to do with their faith.

ok then, i take your point, but Publicity stunt or not, if they believe that by seeing the Pope will get more publicity or whatever you want to call it will spread the word, then why not!

Every week or so there is some thread on here rubbishing people who have long held beliefs, that was the point I was trying , unsuccessfully, to make about faith.

I couldn't give a rats arse what people think about my or anyone elses faith, I just dont know why some people want to make it an issue.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
sir danny cullip said:
They have first of all as posted above been negligent in caring for their children, thats my opinion I know theres lots of different thoughts on it but at the end of the day if they had a bag full to the brim with notes totalling a million pounds they would not have left it in that room while they went for dinner FACT.

If that is the analogy would you ever let your children out of your sight ?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tooting Gull said:
For your devout believers (and I'm sure even priests, come to that) this kind of thing must test your faith like nothing else. If there is some all-powerful presence, how could they allow this to happen?

Not really.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dick Knights Mumm said:
what does that mean ?

I'd let it go, Mumm. Starry has been spectacularly unsympathetic towards these parents from the start.

They may have done wrong, but hey, let's just slaughter them non-stop for weeks.

And the idea that they are not devout Catholics because of what has happened is transparently absurd.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dick Knights Mumm said:
If that is the analogy would you ever let your children out of your sight ?

Well in their position unless the child was at a nursery being cared for by Mark Warner staff or in the care of either parent/another member of their holiday party, then no.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Lokki 7 said:
The parents of Madeline McCann are supposedly devout Catholics, they must then believe that god is all powerful, all seeing and that nothing can oppose his will. Given this belief, surely it must be the case that god either wanted their daughter to be abducted, or at least knew it happened and chose to do nothing about it? Is it the case that god is punishing them for leaving their children unattended? Not the sort of god I would turn to to get me through such hard times, I’d be more likely to give the pope a slap then bow down before him.
(Unless they were just tapping him for information due to his extensive experience with pedophiles, but I somehow doubt it.)

Pipe down

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Tooting Gull said:
I'd let it go, Mumm. Starry has been spectacularly unsympathetic towards these parents from the start.

They may have done wrong, but hey, let's just slaughter them non-stop for weeks.

And the idea that they are not devout Catholics because of what has happened is transparently absurd.

Wise words Rootin' Tootin'.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sir danny cullip said:
Well in their position unless the child was at a nursery being cared for by Mark Warner staff or in the care of either parent/another member of their holiday party, then no.

Ok, they made a mistake....they are being punished in the worst way imaginable........so are you suggesting their attempts to find her are not in some way warranted....

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Wookiee said:
Sorry to tell you all this but, there is no such thing as God :eek:

and you know that for a FACT do you?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dick Knights Mumm said:
I mean ever.

Of course you can, if you think that they are in safe hands or it is very unlikely to come to any harm but the fact is that leaving 3 children under the age of 4 in a holiday apartment in an unknown country, and lets face it relatively unknown surroundings for all the family not only the children, is not safe surroundings for anyone. I am definately one for often thinking how parents wrap kids up in cotton wool these days and should give them more space to breath etc but what they did is just totally wrong imo.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
Not really.

Probably depends on how much you think about your beliefs. I guarantee that vicars/priests up and down the land have reflected on this, as they do with many tragedies, and it will have made for some awkward sermons. What's the reason? What purpose does this serve in God's grand design? Most Christians I know go through a very hard time rationalising their faith after something like this, though many come through it.

Lokki 7 said:
(Unless they were just tapping him for information due to his extensive experience with pedophiles, but I somehow doubt it.)

Just one last thing on this point. Not really fair having a go at the catholics alone over this. Look at the scandal reported this week on radio 4 with the CofE covering up paedophile priests. And a few years ago there was a sikh 'priest' convicted of it and there have also been muslims convicted. It's not a religion problem, it's a position of authority - particularly spiritual authority - problem.

Re: Re: Will God help Madeline McCann?

Dick Knights Mumm said:
If I genuinely wanted the answer to that (as opposed to say, good pubs in town) - I probably would not ask NSC.

I am genuinely interested in the theological argument and know there are several believers on this forum. It is not meant as a wind up, more a discussion for a boring Friday. Surely NSC IS the place for that?

Dave the Gaffer. I can only speak for myself of course, but I am not ridiculing religion, I just cannot logically see how they can turn to god when their religon expressly states that god has the power to prevent this from happening. If it was my daughter and I held their beliefs then I would be mighty pissed off at god. I do not understand why they are not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure why but I can't help feeling that this couple seem to enjoy the publicity :(

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Out of interest why exactly is Catholicism so popular and widespread?

I can understand in 3rd world countries where people don't know any better, but in countries with a healthy GDP and intelligent populace isn't it just a bit backward?

Just doesn't seem to add up in the 21st century.

I see the Pope in the same way I see our Queen, nice idea but entirely redundant in the modern era

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dave the Gaffer said:
Ok, they made a mistake....they are being punished in the worst way imaginable........so are you suggesting their attempts to find her are not in some way warranted....

They are warranted, I would probably do the same in their position. I think the way they've handled it is great but like a lot of people im starting to ask questions about the media coverage and asking questions like "if it was a single mum on holiday with her current boyfriend who was a drug dealer and they had left the children in the apartment to meet their friends to pick up their fix for the night would the media reaction be the same?" The act of leaving the children in the apartment would still be the same...I just think as sad as it is that a lot of people feel its getting a little tiresome.

The parents seem very genuine in their faith etc so I cant really fault them in the way they've handled it and they are suffering the worst possible punishment. I guess it's just the press and the fact that there are thousands of other missing children that no one has ever heard of.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Re: Re: Will God help Madeline McCann?

readingstockport said:
It's not a religion problem, it's a position of authority - particularly spiritual authority - problem.

These people go for positions where they can get access to children - trusted access preferably. So religion, sports training, youth groups. Also vulnerable single people with children.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lokki 7 said:
The parents of Madeline McCann are supposedly devout Catholics, they must then believe that god is all powerful, all seeing and that nothing can oppose his will. Given this belief, surely it must be the case that god either wanted their daughter to be abducted, or at least knew it happened and chose to do nothing about it? Is it the case that god is punishing them for leaving their children unattended? Not the sort of god I would turn to to get me through such hard times, I’d be more likely to give the pope a slap then bow down before him.

Pipe Down

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here