• Yes

Votes: 92 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 219 70.4%

• Total voters

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You're clutching at straws now. The police are duty bound to investigate IF an offence has been alleged, that doesn't make it an offence just because the police were involved however much you want it to be. The police decided that no offence had occurred, that's good enough for me rather than the baying masses on here. If that changes and he ends up being prosecuted I will admit I am wrong and apologise.

Laws, and offences against them, shouldn’t guide moral and ethical views. In parts of the world it is legal to kill homosexuals. That doesn’t make it morally justifiable though does it? In short, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s the morally right thing to do.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've never commented on his childcare considerations. I've read some accounts (not being mentioned by the gutter press and media) that a close family member of the Cummings died that weekend (of Covid19) and was close to DC. Perhaps this is why he travelled along with his own impending diagnosis, wife's Covid19 and worries over childcare. May not have been in line with any guidance, may have been perfectly legit but I would have done the same under those circumstances. Abuse me, call me a prick all you want, water off a ducks back.

I don’t think I’ve insulted you at all, and I certainly haven’t called you a prick.

It was his uncle who died on the 5th April, the first day Cummings was seen in Durham.

He died in the Westminster Hospital, in Chelsea.
Nowhere near Durham.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I've never commented on his childcare considerations. I've read some accounts (not being mentioned by the gutter press and media) that a close family member of the Cummings died that weekend (of Covid19) and was close to DC. Perhaps this is why he travelled along with his own impending diagnosis, wife's Covid19 and worries over childcare. May not have been in line with any guidance, may have been perfectly legit but I would have done the same under those circumstances. Abuse me, call me a prick all you want, water off a ducks back.

it's been widely reported that his uncle in london died, same as thousands of others, what's your point?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well known lefty agitator, Conservative MP for Shoreham and East Worthing,and Government critic Tim Loughton‘s statement on this affair.

������ �� �������� ���������������������� �������� ���� ������ �������������������� �������� �������������� ����������������' ���������������� ���� ������ �������������� ������ ���� ���������� ���� ����:

Not surprisingly the subject that has dominated my email inbox most this weekend has been the actions of the Prime Minister chief special adviser Dominic Cummings. Initially most of the emails came from constituents who have previously deluged me with their disdain for Brexit and the way the Conservative Government has pushed forward with honouring the result of the Referendum.

Many have been keen to attack Dominic Cummings for some time as the former leader of the Vote Leave campaign, and their calls for his resignation could not wait for the facts to catch up with the political axes they were keen to grind. In contrast, I have resisted such a knee-jerk rush to judgement and waited to find out more about what rules Dominic Cummings is actually accused of breaking.

Based on similar experiences of issues that have provoked instant outrage demanding instant condemnations over many years in Parliament I always believe it is better to do my own research first before coming to an informed and measured conclusion.

It is a matter of public record that I am not a fan of Dominic Cummings, having worked with him whilst a Minister in the Department for Education and before whilst in Opposition. ‘Working with’ is probably not the most appropriate phrase and I was concerned when he was appointed to this position in Number Ten. However, he is entitled to be scrutinised on the basis of his actions in this case and not on the basis of previous ‘scores’ or political prejudices.

I therefore waited for further justification for his actions in the media today and hopefully at the Downing Street briefing given by the Prime Minister this afternoon or even from Dominic Cummings himself. Alas I have seen no justification that has convinced me and more importantly I have seen little evidence that it has convinced my constituents or the public at large. Instead I have been concerned at the considerable damage that this story is doing to the Government and most crucially to its authority to carry on the important work it needs to continue to do to keep us all safe.

Since the Downing Street press conference, along with most other parliamentary colleagues, I have been deluged by many more emails from constituents calling for Dominic Cummings to stand down. Notably, many of them are from people who are writing to me for the first time as their MP, some citing considerable sacrifices that they and their families have had to make during the lockdown.

They cannot understand or approve therefore of what looks like ‘double-standards’ applied to one Government official. As with all correspondence from constituents I read it carefully and take note.

It may be that there is further information still to come out about Dominic Cummings’ movements and I am sure that many people will empathise with the personal pressure that he and his family were under. However, many others in similar or worse positions have made the choice not to ‘reinterpret’ the lockdown rules laid down by the Government. It is even more important that they are followed even more relentlessly by those responsible for making and enforcing them.

It is with regret therefore that I have come to the conclusion that the position of Dominic Cummings is untenable as the chief adviser to the Government and he must resign or be removed. That is a great pity for someone who has contributed so much to Government in various forms and whose intellect and strategic thinking are truly impressive. But his continuing in the role any longer can only undermine the authority of the Prime Minister and the Government at a time when both need to be completely focussed on getting the nation through the next stage of the Coronavirus crisis. I am also worried that a number of scientists providing expert advice to the Government have also expressed the concern that their work is at threat of being undermined.

I have been very impressed with the way that Boris Johnson, despite his own near-death experience, has managed the crisis and led the nation through a time of unprecedented challenge. It is essential that he is free to carry on this vital work without the distraction that Dominic Cummings remaining headline news would inevitably bring. It is essential that the Government continues to carry the trust of the people to continue to make the difficult judgements that we need ministers to make.

I have notified the Whips and the Chairman of the 1922 Committee of Conservative MPs of my views.

Not surprisingly the subject that has dominated my email inbox most this weekend has been the actions of the Prime Minister chief special adviser Dominic Cummings. Initially most of the emails came from constituents who have previously deluged me with their disdain for Brexit and the way the Conservative Government has pushed forward with honouring the result of the Referendum.

Many have been keen to attack Dominic Cummings for some time as the former leader of the Vote Leave campaign, and their calls for his resignation could not wait for the facts to catch up with the political axes they were keen to grind. In contrast, I have resisted such a knee-jerk rush to judgement and waited to find out more about what rules Dominic Cummings is actually accused of breaking.

Based on similar experiences of issues that have provoked instant outrage demanding instant condemnations over many years in Parliament I always believe it is better to do my own research first before coming to an informed and measured conclusion.

It is a matter of public record that I am not a fan of Dominic Cummings, having worked with him whilst a Minister in the Department for Education and before whilst in Opposition. ‘Working with’ is probably not the most appropriate phrase and I was concerned when he was appointed to this position in Number Ten. However, he is entitled to be scrutinised on the basis of his actions in this case and not on the basis of previous ‘scores’ or political prejudices.

I therefore waited for further justification for his actions in the media today and hopefully at the Downing Street briefing given by the Prime Minister this afternoon or even from Dominic Cummings himself. Alas I have seen no justification that has convinced me and more importantly I have seen little evidence that it has convinced my constituents or the public at large. Instead I have been concerned at the considerable damage that this story is doing to the Government and most crucially to its authority to carry on the important work it needs to continue to do to keep us all safe.

Since the Downing Street press conference, along with most other parliamentary colleagues, I have been deluged by many more emails from constituents calling for Dominic Cummings to stand down. Notably, many of them are from people who are writing to me for the first time as their MP, some citing considerable sacrifices that they and their families have had to make during the lockdown.

They cannot understand or approve therefore of what looks like ‘double-standards’ applied to one Government official. As with all correspondence from constituents I read it carefully and take note.

It may be that there is further information still to come out about Dominic Cummings’ movements and I am sure that many people will empathise with the personal pressure that he and his family were under. However, many others in similar or worse positions have made the choice not to ‘reinterpret’ the lockdown rules laid down by the Government. It is even more important that they are followed even more relentlessly by those responsible for making and enforcing them.

It is with regret therefore that I have come to the conclusion that the position of Dominic Cummings is untenable as the chief adviser to the Government and he must resign or be removed. That is a great pity for someone who has contributed so much to Government in various forms and whose intellect and strategic thinking are truly impressive. But his continuing in the role any longer can only undermine the authority of the Prime Minister and the Government at a time when both need to be completely focussed on getting the nation through the next stage of the Coronavirus crisis. I am also worried that a number of scientists providing expert advice to the Government have also expressed the concern that their work is at threat of being undermined.

I have been very impressed with the way that Boris Johnson, despite his own near-death experience, has managed the crisis and led the nation through a time of unprecedented challenge. It is essential that he is free to carry on this vital work without the distraction that Dominic Cummings remaining headline news would inevitably bring. It is essential that the Government continues to carry the trust of the people to continue to make the difficult judgements that we need ministers to make.

I have notified the Whips and the Chairman of the 1922 Committee of Conservative MPs of my views.

Bloody Communist.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As someone who voted both to Leave and for Boris at the general election, I would respectfully point out that this is NOT about political points, nor is it a media-driven storm-in-a-tea-cup.

The government have, quite rightly, tried to generate a "we're in it together" agenda over the past couple of months in order that the general public will swallow some pretty harsh restrictions that for some are a huge inconvenience and for others are absolutely tragic... I have a key worker partner, a furloughed daughter, a son who's A-level study has been disrupted, a sister-in-law who couldn't go to her grandfather's funeral, numerous relatives under shielding, etc etc and, actually, I feel lucky and that this hasn't been as bad as some people make out.

And then, we see government advisors trotting off to holiday homes and having their mistress over, footballers partying with prostitutes and 'glamour models' and even respected authors travelling half way round the world to isolate on a Scottish Isle and we start to resent the restrictions.

And this weekend, when those of use who live in Brighton are dreading an influx of infected tourists, bringing crowding, litter and the virus to somewhere that has managed to avoid being hit too badly, but what we actually get is news that the man who wrote all the rules demonstrating his belief that he is above those rules.

At the end of March, his wife is infected... he thinks he is infected and he fears for his child if neither of them are in a fit state to parent.
Does he contact their local support network? Family and friends in the immediate area that could help? Nope.
Does he follow his own rules and contact the local government services for assistance? Nope.
Does he even get the healthy relatives he wants help from to travel (and thus not risk the health of anyone else) to collect the child? Of course not!

What he does is pack up his Chelsea Tractor and drive to the other end of the country where his parents have an "estate" and he can baton-down in some annex or outbuilding.

Does he care about undermining the lockdown message? Nope.
Does he apologise and plead his case to the British Public hoping they will understand? Nope.

The man is beyond redemption. He may be an unparalleled political strategist but I'm not sure how because he really does not understand the British psyche at all.

Is this a storm-in-a-teacup for the majority? No! The majority of people are rightly outraged at being treated like mugs!

And this is before you even start to pile on the circumstantial evidence that makes it look worse... He happens to have travelled so he is at his parent's estate at the time of his mother's birthday... Statistically possible but an unlikely coincidence. It also appears that his eye-witnessed day trip coincides with his wife's birthday... Further coincidence or just fake news? Doesn't really matter at this point!

He's a weasel, doing weaselly things and all the time, you, me and almost everyone else, is paying a price for the greater good that he is undermining.

Media-storm? F**k no! This is a full on middle-class, middle-England rebellion in full swing.

Good post.

Evidence if any is needed that many intelligent and reasonable people voted both leave and for this current Government but are judging this incident on the position of office/power Mr Cummings holds and what he did, political point scoring is irrelevant.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Laws, and offences against them, shouldn’t guide moral and ethical views. In parts of the world it is legal to kill homosexuals. That doesn’t make it morally justifiable though does it? In short, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s the morally right thing to do.

I agree with that.

I don’t think I’ve insulted you at all, and I certainly haven’t called you a prick.

It was his uncle who died on the 5th April, the first day Cummings was seen in Durham.

He died in the Westminster Hospital, in Chelsea.
Nowhere near Durham.

Apologies, that wasn't aimed at you but another poster. I'm not sure of the relevance of where his uncle died is, his family and mother live in Durham and I am surmising that he may have wanted to be with his closer family to offer support. Not within the guidelines of course but are we really going to castigate and go after people that are grieving? In claiming his visit was primarily for childcare reasons who am I to dispute that? Maybe a combination of all those factors prompted his visit and 14 day isolation which he completed to my knowledge. I am not a supporter of his nor am I Tory voter but the point I have been trying to make is that I don't believe anyone deserves the level of media induced vitriol this guy has received. I respectfully disagree with some of the opinions from other posters and just ask the same back.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I suspect it's going to yet more bluster and excuses.

I'd like to hope he'll do the decent thing, if for no other reason than to deflect some of the anger aimed the government he claims to serve, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I agree with that.

Apologies, that wasn't aimed at you but another poster. I'm not sure of the relevance of where his uncle died is, his family and mother live in Durham and I am surmising that he may have wanted to be with his closer family to offer support. Not within the guidelines of course but are we really going to castigate and go after people that are grieving? In claiming his visit was primarily for childcare reasons who am I to dispute that? Maybe a combination of all those factors prompted his visit and 14 day isolation which he completed to my knowledge. I am not a supporter of his nor am I Tory voter but the point I have been trying to make is that I don't believe anyone deserves the level of media induced vitriol this guy has received. I respectfully disagree with some of the opinions from other posters and just ask the same back.

Maybe he had a mother's and wife's birthday to celebrate?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You're clutching at straws now. The police are duty bound to investigate IF an offence has been alleged, that doesn't make it an offence just because the police were involved however much you want it to be. The police decided that no offence had occurred, that's good enough for me rather than the baying masses on here. If that changes and he ends up being prosecuted I will admit I am wrong and apologise.

Me clutching at straws?

You said "there never has been a specific offence of just being outside and travelling."

I pointed out that there was an offence of 'just being outside and travelling' - unless you had one of the reasonable excuses (which you didn't include in your comment, which was only about 'just').

You then tried to argue something different.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Way to spend a bank holiday Monday [emoji106]
You'd never know you were between lewes and bear road! 20200525_130748.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here