• No

Votes: 219 70.4%

• Total voters

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm reading this at the moment:

It's mostly focused on Trump in America, but has some excellent parallels to here as well. The chapter I'm currently on talks about when tolerance for the opposition and willingness to follow unwritten conventions decrease, and forbearance disappears. It's usually a symptom of when a society has become particular polarised. I'm seeing a lot of it here. There's no logical link between supporting Brexit and defending Dominic Cummings' position
True.

.........and yet it's the same people vociferously doing both.
No it really isn't. You seem to have suddenly jumped into this thread without taking much notice of previous posts.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would have more sympathy for the views of [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION],@Fifth Column etc, etc if they had voiced their concern over the treatment of Jeremy Corbyn by the media and other right wing commentators over the last 5 years.

I rarely indulge in whataboutery, but, feel it needed saying.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
An absolute bellend the press and media will have you believe the rules don't apply to him. The fact he is involved in politics IS the story not his actions so of course its about politics. And cut the crap about what I may care or not care about, you don't know me and I don't know you so don't assume you know what makes me tick.

You said that you didn’t care, I didn’t. So maybe you should cut the crap. You are right, we don’t know each other which looks like being a blessing.

It his actions which ate at fault not his political beliefs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The level of faux outrage and hypocrisy on this thread is stunning. Most of you have breached the lockdown rules at some stage in your own way, be it large or small you know you've done it. Maybe he did take the piss a bit, maybe he didn't because his kid has special needs, I don't really care to be honest. The media driven witch hunt has its current victim and will continue to thrash it to death and not out of any public spirited endeavour but because they create and supply the demand for this crap. It isn't an issue most people give a crap about to be force fed it at every news bulletin and frankly there are more important things to worry about. This is a political story being promoted for political means, end of.

As someone who voted both to Leave and for Boris at the general election, I would respectfully point out that this is NOT about political points, nor is it a media-driven storm-in-a-tea-cup.

The government have, quite rightly, tried to generate a "we're in it together" agenda over the past couple of months in order that the general public will swallow some pretty harsh restrictions that for some are a huge inconvenience and for others are absolutely tragic... I have a key worker partner, a furloughed daughter, a son who's A-level study has been disrupted, a sister-in-law who couldn't go to her grandfather's funeral, numerous relatives under shielding, etc etc and, actually, I feel lucky and that this hasn't been as bad as some people make out.

And then, we see government advisors trotting off to holiday homes and having their mistress over, footballers partying with prostitutes and 'glamour models' and even respected authors travelling half way round the world to isolate on a Scottish Isle and we start to resent the restrictions.

And this weekend, when those of use who live in Brighton are dreading an influx of infected tourists, bringing crowding, litter and the virus to somewhere that has managed to avoid being hit too badly, but what we actually get is news that the man who wrote all the rules demonstrating his belief that he is above those rules.

At the end of March, his wife is infected... he thinks he is infected and he fears for his child if neither of them are in a fit state to parent.
Does he contact their local support network? Family and friends in the immediate area that could help? Nope.
Does he follow his own rules and contact the local government services for assistance? Nope.
Does he even get the healthy relatives he wants help from to travel (and thus not risk the health of anyone else) to collect the child? Of course not!

What he does is pack up his Chelsea Tractor and drive to the other end of the country where his parents have an "estate" and he can baton-down in some annex or outbuilding.

Does he care about undermining the lockdown message? Nope.
Does he apologise and plead his case to the British Public hoping they will understand? Nope.

The man is beyond redemption. He may be an unparalleled political strategist but I'm not sure how because he really does not understand the British psyche at all.

Is this a storm-in-a-teacup for the majority? No! The majority of people are rightly outraged at being treated like mugs!

And this is before you even start to pile on the circumstantial evidence that makes it look worse... He happens to have travelled so he is at his parent's estate at the time of his mother's birthday... Statistically possible but an unlikely coincidence. It also appears that his eye-witnessed day trip coincides with his wife's birthday... Further coincidence or just fake news? Doesn't really matter at this point!

He's a weasel, doing weaselly things and all the time, you, me and almost everyone else, is paying a price for the greater good that he is undermining.

Media-storm? F**k no! This is a full on middle-class, middle-England rebellion in full swing.

D

Deleted member 2719

He will clearly have to resign BUT

I am very uncomfortable with the way the media are controlling our country.

Yesterday was dominated by questions about DC when it should have been about the number of people of dying, the economical problems, the care home disaster, the 35,000 deaths.

This is massively disproportionate over one man's actions when there are so many more important things to discuss.

But if he does resign, it will not help with the difficult times ahead, arguably it will make thing worse, and some seem to want the government to fail at the costs of human lives and increased depression.
They appear to be able to see no further than the end of their noses.

So disappointed with the lack of coming together, and all driven by extremists and media salespeople.
Until these negative stories stop, we will never progress, but to do that you need to stop feeding the trolls, I will only watch the factually COVID news from now on I will not be viewed in there bloodthirsty stats.

They are subhuman.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I would have more sympathy for the views of [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION],@Fifth Column etc, etc if they had voiced their concern over the treatment of Jeremy Corbyn by the media and other right wing commentators over the last 5 years.

They want it both ways. Personally I wouldn’t give him the steam of my own shit but if he can take it then so can this shower of shit.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
To unite the Church, Police, Guardian, Spectator, Times, Mail, and Public after the last few years could be seen as a work of genius. If you hadn't actually united them against yourself :shootself
Credit where it's due to him, he certainly has united the country across the political and social spectrum.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I am very uncomfortable with the way the media are controlling our country.

Yet you presumably have no issue with the unelected, seemingly unaccountable Cummings controlling the government, as yesterday clearly shows that he is.

D

Deleted member 2719

Corbyn was never attacked by savage beasts like this though, this is a different level of hatred that is breeding within our country and if it isn't stopped and we don't pull as one, where will it end?
Why Starmer's stepping in really does no favours to the country or himself, I thought he was intelligent?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But if he does resign, it will not help with the difficult times ahead, arguably it will make thing worse, and some seem to want the government to fail at the costs of human lives and increased depression.

So disappointed with the lack of coming together, and all driven by extremists and media salespeople.
Until these negative stories stop, we will never progress, but to do that you need to stop feeding the trolls, I will only watch the factually COVID news from now on I will not be viewed in there bloodthirsty stats.

They are subhuman.

Why will the government fail if he resigns?
Is he really the only hope to get us out of this crisis?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Corbyn was never attacked by savage beasts like this though, this is a different level of hatred that is breeding within our country and if it isn't stopped and we don't pull as one, where will it end?
Why Starmer's stepping in really does no favours to the country or himself, I thought he was intelligent?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top quality! well played sir! well played!!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Point 1 he breached the rules as soon as he got into the car. There is no if.
Stay Home was the clue there, unless you missed it.

Treat him like every body else?
OK ..
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/06/wednesday-morning-news-briefing-top-scientific-adviser-quits/

Presumably from one house to another?
With a sick wife and a 4 year old (potentially autistic) in the car? How many stops would he have made along the way?

Again, the politically motivated argument is only coming from one angle, on this one..

Good points however 'Stay at Home' was only ever guidance not against the law as there were exemptions along the lines of reasonable excuses. If he had a reasonable excuse then he was not committing any offence and even if he did not have a reasonable excuse then he would have to be stopped by police and then refuse to comply with their directions to commit an offence - this clearly did not happen, just being outside and travelling was not in itself an offence. Providing care to a vulnerable person was one of the reasonable excuses. He may have been been stretching the guidelines but frankly millions of people were and continue to do so daily.

I'm by no means defending him I'm simply concerned at the level of hysteria and politically motivated/media vitriol aimed at this man and indirectly his innocent family, no one deserves that, its nasty and unnecessary.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yet you presumably have no issue with the unelected, seemingly unaccountable Cummings controlling the government, as yesterday clearly shows that he is.
But does it show that? Just maybe they are sticking by him because they believe his motivates.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

There's been a lot of coming together from across society lately, driven by Cummings being a hypocritical **** and the Prime Minister being socially distanced from anything resembling a ****ing backbone.

Oh, and before you or anyone else derides that statement as "faux anger" let me assure you that, based on my personal circumstances, it is very real anger.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But does it show that? Just maybe they are sticking by him because they believe his motivates.
Any leader, of any party, with an iota of strength or sense of decency would have binned Cummings by now.

Either Johnson doesn't, or Cummings has his strings so tightly held that he feels he can't.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
True.

No it really isn't. You seem to have suddenly jumped into this thread without taking much notice of previous posts.

I don't think he is saying all leave voters are supporting Cummings because that is very, very clearly not the case. However when you look at the most ardent supporters of Cummings on here over the last few days

Baker lite, Mouldy Boots, cunning fergus, bashlsdir, pastafarian, JC Footy Genius, Fifth Column.

They were all vociferous Brexit supporters. And I'll leave it there as this is a Cummings thread.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I had to read this twice, I couldn’t believe someone could seriously write this the first time.
Corbyn has been accused of racism, being a foreign spy, a terrorist sympathiser, senile, a Russian stooge, an apologist for paedophiles, and a Marxist, none of which have a scintilla if truth about them.

Starmer was recently accused of refusing to prosecute Muslim rape gangs, not pressing charges against Saville when it would have been impossible . Oh, and he bought his Mum a donkey paddock, the hypocrite.

I don’t want to derail this thread, so I will add no further comment on this matter.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
100% agree, some of the hatred of people people concerns me, they are baying for someone's blood all the time.
It all appears to smack of sourgrapes from anti brexit or anti tory, in the meantime they are trying to rip our country apart at a time when we need to be joined as humanly possible.

It's a sad place to be in the uk with these extremists.

Are they insane?

Do you mean like the anti Brexit, anti Tory Daily Mail who are criticising Johnson for standing by Cummings. Your post sums up the arrogance of the right wing perfectly. We conned the public into voting for Brexit so any time anyone questions us must be bitterness about that

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

They are subhuman.

You must be a troll. Have you seen how the right wing press treat people? And in terms of coming together, that is what the country was doing until an unelected official who has far too much power decided he was above the law and the Prime Minister decided to agree with him

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
You said that you didn’t care, I didn’t. So maybe you should cut the crap. You are right, we don’t know each other which looks like being a blessing.

It his actions which ate at fault not his political beliefs.

You posted: Why post if you don't care & You care.... you care very much. You were clearly using the word 'care' to somehow further your argument and provoke a response it had nothing to do with whether I care or not. I will clarify for you as you seem to have a hard time understanding. I said I didn't particularly care about his actions, that doesn't automatically then preclude me from contributing to a post about the issues, that's such a poor and weak argument to ignore the context of the word 'care', "Urgh You said you didn't care so can't join this debate". I see it all the time in forums whenever someone hasn't got anything constructive to say or counter they just attack the poster instead, well done I guess you smashed that debate eh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here