Will Cummings go ?

• Yes

Votes: 92 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 219 70.4%

• Total voters

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You're assuming there's some master plan behind this government's actions with some hidden rationale for the handling of the Cummings affair?

My simpler assumption is that Johnson is a weak, arrogant, superficial leader with poor political antennae and a cabinet that reflects his lack of ability.

We've already seen a number of issues surrounding its poor handling of this pandemic and decisions, such as imposing charges on immigrant NHS workers only to reverse it hours later when challenged by Starmer, rather supports this view!?

Occam's razor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also possible

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ok it looks terrible but I don't know the full story. Maybe he had to do what he did as a last resort. I hope that is the case.

I am sorry to dash your hopes but Last resort is defined in Johnson’s rules as ‘threat to life’. There was no threat to life in Cummings’ case.
The government has made a case for Cummings being in a difficult predicament, but that’s been the same for thousands of families over the past two months. Families that unlike Cummings, abided by the rules.
FOr Johnson to talk about Cummings going where his parental instinct led him is a disgrace. Don’t you feel cheated by this sentiment? I’m guessing you made your sacrifices In lockdown off the back of Johnson’s no-shades-of-grey explanation of lockdown, in March.
Cummings was wrong in all kinds of ways but essentially he drove his Corona-infected wife to another part of the country.
Ask yourself - Would you have done that?
The answer, I suspect, is no.
In which case he does not deserve the support you have offered in the form of far-fetched conspiracy theories.
Crikey, even the DAILY MAIL, for whom he was a poster boy, have held him to account today.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It’s all over Twitter, but that doesn’t make it true, of course.
What I have been reading is angry responses from parents with autistic children who are even more angry now.
Most of them saying the disruption of moving home, etc would be more unsettling for the child.

If it is right, why didn’t the sister who is acceptable, as opposed to two other family members who live a lot nearer, move down to London to help out?

None of this was mentioned in the Spectator article by Mary.

Doesn't explain the birthday trip out, nor the second trip back up north.

And, as we know from past events, it's almost always the cover-up that gets them rather than the actual initial offence.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I read he allegedly drove 25 miles to Barnard Castle from Durham to exercise with his family.Is this an acceptable distance or are the media right that this is too far?

Under current guidelines it's fine. Under the guidelines in place at the time - not so great, especially with plenty of nearer places to exercise.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm guessing the posters who keep referring to remainers and Brexit on these threads, have had their various social medias filled with memes from Cumming's friend's various Bots over the past 48 hrs.

The agenda needs to be changed and they know how to do it.

#Classic Dom

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If autism is a factor, I’d certainly be willing to hear the man out. But in order to hear him out, he’d have to tell the whole truth. Something unlikely to be forthcoming.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
The level of faux outrage and hypocrisy on this thread is stunning. Most of you have breached the lockdown rules at some stage in your own way, be it large or small you know you've done it. Maybe he did take the piss a bit, maybe he didn't because his kid has special needs, I don't really care to be honest. The media driven witch hunt has its current victim and will continue to thrash it to death and not out of any public spirited endeavour but because they create and supply the demand for this crap. It isn't an issue most people give a crap about to be force fed it at every news bulletin and frankly there are more important things to worry about. This is a political story being promoted for political means, end of.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Every autistic child is different. It isn't always the case that a change from normal surroundings would in itself be a problem for a particular child.

If this is the case (and that's a big if) then fairly irrational behaviour, from parents of a recently diagnosed child, would be forgivable.
I made several myself in less difficult times.

Both parents work, and so what do they normally do when they are both unavailable to look after their son, and why could they not have activated these arrangements.

Also, only his wife had symptoms at the time - so it wasn't the case that this 'had' to be done, it was a 'just-in-case'. And in any event, that didn't happen either as they have stated that the only external assistance they had was that his sister dropped off the shopping for them. So, despite Mary Wakefield describing how badly they were affected, they still didn't need to use any external childcare.

However, there were mother's and wife's birthdays to think about.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The level of faux outrage and hypocrisy on this thread is stunning. Most of you have breached the lockdown rules at some stage in your own way, be it large or small you know you've done it. Maybe he did take the piss a bit, maybe he didn't because his kid has special needs, I don't really care to be honest. The media driven witch hunt has its current victim and will continue to thrash it to death and not out of any public spirited endeavour but because they create and supply the demand for this crap. It isn't an issue most people give a crap about to be force fed it at every news bulletin and frankly there are more important things to worry about. This is a political story being promoted for political means, end of.

I suppose when you treat the public with utter contempt, the public will kick back when they get the opportunity. The Tory’s have done this to themselves.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Now I'm normally a measured reasonable man, who listens to what someone has to say and gives a measured response, however on this occasion all my brain is shouting at me is...

Oh **** off...!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:facepalm:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Both parents work, and so what do they normally do when they are both unavailable to look after their son, and why could they not have activated these arrangements.

Also, only his wife had symptoms at the time - so it wasn't the case that this 'had' to be done, it was a 'just-in-case'. And in any event, that didn't happen either as they have stated that the only external assistance they had was that his sister dropped off the shopping for them. So, despite Mary Wakefield describing how badly they were affected, they still didn't need to use any external childcare.

However, there were mother's and wife's birthdays to think about.

This is one of the key problems with the whole charade. All this cr*p about needing childcare, when other close relatives lived nearby in London. Plus, when they actually got to Durham they didn't even use the childcare they had apparently travelled so far to seek. These people are just very happy to lie, lie, lie. Their strategy is to keep peddling lies, hope we'll get tired of it all, and move on to something else. They treat us like absolute sh1t, and couldn't give a monkeys for anyone else, as long as they are in power.

If irrefutable evidence appears of the other "jaunts" both will be toast, warm, wholemeal, butter and with BlackBerry jelly. Rather a statement of the bleedin' obvious I know.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Who cares what that cheating c*** thinks?

“In 2018, Grimes was fined £20,000 by the Electoral Commission after they determined that there was evidence that BeLeave had spent more than £675,000 with the Canadian political consultancy firm AggregateIQ in coordination with the official Brexit campaign organisation Vote Leave to distribute targeted social media advertisements.”

Bit of quote mining going on there, Hugo. The Wikipedia article goes onto say...

“In July, Grimes won an appeal against his fine. He had raised over £90,000 through crowdfunding for his legal costs. The court ordered the Electoral Commission to pay for his legal costs.”

Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Grimes

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

You are deliberately missing the point.
Yes lots of people have tweaked the rules on occasion. undoubtedly.
But very, very few people would have tweaked the rules, when they knew, or even suspected, that they had the virus!!

He travelled 260 miles in a car when he and his wife were contagious!!
With a (potentially) autistic 4 year old and a sick wife in the car with him?
How many stops along the way would he have made?

Nothing politically motivated about the outrage.
I would guess that the only politically motivated comments on this subject are people trying to defend him.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe there is an exonerating reason he has made all these trips. I sincerely doubt it it but just maybe. Okay, if we accept that as a possibility, however unlikely, for a moment, surely we deserve more of an explanation than “I understand why you’re confused” and “he did everything correctly”.

No. Not good enough.

The fact that Johnson has been so dismissive of the concerns of the public is reason enough to question the legitimacy of Cummmings’ various road trips.

If I, or most of us went against the published policy of our workplace we would be expected to give more of an explanation than “my instincts told me this was the right thing to do”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here