Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone actually call Falmer 'the Amex'?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll mostly be calling the stadium "the Amex". I can't help feeling that calling it "Falmer" will eventually mark you out as a pretentious tit.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I did say todays equivelent, I don't suppose the Albion players were on five grand a week then.

Yes and how much do you think they earn now ? The plain fact is that the money from sponsorship is vital to clubs now. I don't understand the resentment towards Amex, probably the largest employer in Brighton for a start, they must be bad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The AMEX. All the way.

Signature suitably amended, to annoy xenophon.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Malongo (was that his name?) earned around 100k in one season, I don't think he made a start, and this was also around the same time the Forty Note Fund was started, funny ole world

Football is big business now, would like to see us go back the the maximum wage ? Juat what have you got against American Express ? Did they turn you down for a job or something ?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
#blows into hands, rubs them together, streches, says to one's self "Here we go again" and puts on tin hat to deflect from barrage of abuse I usually get for having a strong opinion of this from some on here who think football was invented by Sky in 1992#

I personally will NEVER refer to Falmer as The A***, or indeed any other corporate name, why should I? They are in it for themselves and no other reason, I owe them nothing. and before anyone starts refering to it as a 'cool' name (yes, that has been used on here) remember it is only for 10 years. I remember at school people thinking it was 'cool' to have British Caledonian' splashed across the shirts, seven years later NOBO wasn't so 'cool'

Quite right.

Cheers for the money Amex but thankfully the stadium already had a name before you came along and it will continue to have one long after you are gone.

Where it needs to be called "the Amex" in press reports and on TV so be it, but I'm not sponsored by Amex to go shouting their name out all over the place

Juat what have you got against American Express ? Did they turn you down for a job or something ?

:lolol:wondered how long that'd take. No I've never applied to Amex, in fact I have a Lloyds/Amex credit card. I haven't anything against amex, I just think our stadium should have a proper name, just like we as supporters are called Dave or Fred or Charlie and so on rather than Pepsi, wagon wheel or dream topping....am i so bad?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
thankfully the stadium already had a name before you came along and it will continue to have one long after you are gone.

But Falmer (I assume thats what you are referring to) is not a name for the stadium. Its just a small village next to where the stadium has been built. Its a site, nothing more and nothing less. It was only ever referred to as a location (ie when nothing else was there).

Would you call the stadium "Upper Beeding" if we'd ended up building it there ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Well we call our current ground 'Withean', 'cos that's where it is ....

On the other hand we didn't call our original ground 'Hove'.

Maybe we could go back to calling it 'Viillage Way', or even 'Woodingean Road'. Or how about my compromise of 'Falmex'?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
But Falmer (I assume thats what you are referring to) is not a name for the stadium. Its just a small village next to where the stadium has been built. Its a site, nothing more and nothing less. It was only ever referred to as a location (ie when nothing else was there).

Well actually I think I would, yes. The best name for a ground is to use the most prominent road name on which it sits, however in the case of our shiny new stadium it doesn't sit upon any particularly interesting old named roads and so the next best thing is to use its general location as a name, which in this case is Falmer, technically a village outside the city but in my mind just a neighbourhood. Much like Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk and Kemp Town are neighbourhoods.

Ask a West Ham fan what he calls their stadium because most will tell you they refer to the ground as Upton Park, which is just the general location in which the Boleyn Ground is situated, not the stadium's name.

I appreciate Falmer is not the best name in the world BUT it is a name that's relevant and historical, as opposed to Amex which is simply the name of a large American financial firm.

In fact do you know what I'd like to call it? I'd love it if it were called Old Shoreham Road, irrespective of the fact that it's nowhere near the ACTUAL Old Shoreham Road because this would confuse other people whilst also referencing the location of our much loved and sadly missed old home.

I don't care that Amex have put money into it and if people want to call it by the Amex name then let them, that's not my beef. I just don't fully understand the readiness a lot of fans have to buy into the corporate culture and refer to the stadium by a bland, irrelevant brand name.

Amex get what they want in having the stadium referred to as the Amex in the press but we fans don't need to be so easily swayed

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well actually I think I would, yes. The best name for a ground is to use the most prominent road name on which it sits, however in the case of our shiny new stadium it doesn't sit upon any particularly interesting old named roads and so the next best thing is to use its general location as a name, which in this case is Falmer, technically a village outside the city but in my mind just a neighbourhood. Much like Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk and Kemp Town are neighbourhoods.

Ask a West Ham fan what he calls their stadium because most will tell you they refer to the ground as Upton Park, which is just the general location in which the Boleyn Ground is situated, not the stadium's name.

I appreciate Falmer is not the best name in the world BUT it is a name that's relevant and historical, as opposed to Amex which is simply the name of a large American financial firm.

In fact do you know what I'd like to call it? I'd love it if it were called Old Shoreham Road, irrespective of the fact that it's nowhere near the ACTUAL Old Shoreham Road because this would confuse other people whilst also referencing the location of our much loved and sadly missed old home.

I don't care that Amex have put money into it and if people want to call it by the Amex name then let them, that's not my beef. I just don't fully understand the readiness a lot of fans have to buy into the corporate culture and refer to the stadium by a bland, irrelevant brand name.

Amex get what they want in having the stadium referred to as the Amex in the press but we fans don't need to be so easily swayed

Im still lookig forward to you singing Palace songs in your pants in the walk up to the stadium at the first game.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
i'm familiar with these words individually (except lookig, have you got a cold?) but this has confused me.

Colossal Squid went on here and said NO WAY. NO WAY AT ALL would Amex be sponsoring the new stadium.

He even went on to say if they did he would sing pro Palace songs in his underwear at the first game Falmer.

About 8 months later Amex were announced as sponsors.

Now we dont want him to welch on a bet like that other welcher Atilla do we?

Oh and I do have a cold!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here