Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins has to fine Adam El-Abd

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
ROSM said:
I took my 7 week old son to the game on Saturday. Fair to say that he probably knows more than some at the game about supporting the team.

before the game as I walked along the track I heard 'supporters' having a go at Loft and Robinson DURING THE WARM UP!

Then the game starts and within 30 seconds another group were having a go at Loft.

Now, I'm not for one minute saying that El Abd was right to swaer and gesture at fans. However, I can understand his motivation. The best analogy I can see is that it's a bit like the kid at school who sees other kids being picked on and in trying to defend them, makes matters worse. In this instance, we are talking about players like Robinson and Loft who aren't on fortunes.

From Wilkins perspective, Loft is out of contract in the summer. he has been doing well in the reserves and a decision is required on whether he should get a new contract. How else can he do that without seeing him play a reasonable period in the first team? We cant afford to just go out and buy players so we need to make sensible decisions with what we have. However maany 'fans' obviously know more about football that our coaching staff so obviously they believe it best to abuse players before a game to build their confidence.

But it is a moanfest and it is not all about performances. Booing after a poor performance is understandable, but jeering youngsters before a game is incredible.

Add this to the codswallop spoken on the phone in on saturday and the ongoing 'opinions' on here and if it wasn't for the financial aspect, I would think the whole match day experience would be improved by 'losing' some of the regular whingers next year.

I mean there were even people claiming that Bertin was playing badly on satdi. What game were THEY watching?

I suspect I'll get the usual comments about being a DK apologist etc, but is that really any worse than being someone who spends all the time being negative?

Wilkins has made mistakes - I dont think the diamond works at home and would prefer to see a 442 - but it wasn't that long ago that we were watching players scoring for fun and providing me with the biggest competitive victory I've seen.

Somes it up very well.
:clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ROSM said:

I mean there were even people claiming that Bertin was playing badly on satdi. What game were THEY watching?

as one of them on the phone in, I suggested that Bertin has gone backwards since he joined the club. I thought he played very well in the first twenty minutes and then lost his way.

He is a spoiler of a player, who breaks up attacks and needs someone next to him to deliver the ball to ( the makalele type player). hammond filled that role and Cox, however in the second half expecially, he found himself having to play long passes to positions where our players failed to be.......two long passes landing straight on the full backs head in the space of two minutes were perfect examples. He is not a playmaker and I feel with the so called "formation" we are playing and with teams coming here to sit back and hit us on the break, he is having to do a job which is not in his comfort zone.

To a certain degree, with hammond out, we have no-one to create anything presently....Robbo runs around a lot but doesnt really do anything and coxy has been off form for ages now.

What has happened to ward?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ROSM said:
I took my 7 week old son to the game on Saturday. Fair to say that he probably knows more than some at the game about supporting the team.

before the game as I walked along the track I heard 'supporters' having a go at Loft and Robinson DURING THE WARM UP!

Then the game starts and within 30 seconds another group were having a go at Loft.

Now, I'm not for one minute saying that El Abd was right to swaer and gesture at fans. However, I can understand his motivation. The best analogy I can see is that it's a bit like the kid at school who sees other kids being picked on and in trying to defend them, makes matters worse. In this instance, we are talking about players like Robinson and Loft who aren't on fortunes.

From Wilkins perspective, Loft is out of contract in the summer. he has been doing well in the reserves and a decision is required on whether he should get a new contract. How else can he do that without seeing him play a reasonable period in the first team? We cant afford to just go out and buy players so we need to make sensible decisions with what we have. However maany 'fans' obviously know more about football that our coaching staff so obviously they believe it best to abuse players before a game to build their confidence.

But it is a moanfest and it is not all about performances. Booing after a poor performance is understandable, but jeering youngsters before a game is incredible.

Add this to the codswallop spoken on the phone in on saturday and the ongoing 'opinions' on here and if it wasn't for the financial aspect, I would think the whole match day experience would be improved by 'losing' some of the regular whingers next year.

I suspect I'll get the usual comments about being a DK apologist etc, but is that really any worse than being someone who spends all the time being negative?

Wilkins has made mistakes - I dont think the diamond works at home and would prefer to see a 442 - but it wasn't that long ago that we were watching players scoring for fun and providing me with the biggest competitive victory I've seen.

Can't argue with the criticism of the brainless morons who were apparently dishing out abuse before the game, but I'm sorry, that doesn't change the facts regarding El-Abd in my opinion. he was wrong to do what he did, and he should come out and apologise, and explain his actions. If it was the abuse of his mates in the playground that caused him to react then tell us and we will understand a bit more. If it's the "passion" you feel for the clu b, and like us he was frustrated after another limp home performance, then tell us that.

But he was wrong to do what he did, largely because it wasn't aimed at those who had dished out abuse, he was aiming it at us all. It wasn't just those who dished out stick before the game, it wasn't just those who booed at the end, it was ALL of us. It wasn't a moments snap reaction, it was sustained, all the way down the side of the pitch.

Explain what provoked you Adam, but we need to hear from you, and you need to accept that wasn't the way to behave. IMHO.

Last edited:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Personally I have never and would never boo the team - if you're a fan you just don't do it. Neither would I ever shout out w***** a c*** or anything like it to any player. Sure I moan about them in the pub, on the way to the ground etc - but not shouting at them from the crowd. It shows appalling manners, it's a terrible example to youngsters in the crowd - and it's not the best way to raise the team. But for exactly the same reasons, I expect the players not to abuse the crowd. Sure we all lose our tempers from time to time: so I would suggest Adam apologises publicly and that's that. I wish our own boo boys would do likewise but I can't see that happening, which - is a great shame. Abuse solves nothing - whether it's from crowd to players or players to crowd.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Richie Morris said:
If it has been LEON Knight all HELL would have broken out.

Yeah but Leon wouldn't have because Leon wouldn't care. He would shrug his shoulders and walk off blaming everyone else.

I thought Adam had a good game. From the first minute when he made a very good brave tackle on Paynter to the end when he was still getting stuck in. You need player like that who are prepared to put a foot in - we've got enough in the side who wont.

The only thing I felt when Adam had his outburst was sadness because it was obvious straight away that he'd rightly get crucified for it and it was a shame. He battled hard for us for 90 minutes and was just as frustrated as us.

All in all everyone associated with the club with pissed off and both fans and players acted inappropriatly (havent been on NSC much since the game but dunno if Loft's gesture was picked up on). That's gotta change, thank **** there are only 3 games left because if this were a few weeks/months back I'd be very worried about where we're heading.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Turkey said:
Yeah but Leon wouldn't have because Leon wouldn't care. He would shrug his shoulders and walk off blaming everyone else.

You're right. Remember the Sheff Wed debacle?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'd really have to be a bit head-mental to abuse your own players before the game wouldn't you? And young players at that. Were people really doing that? Or is it some kind of outlandish urban myth that's sprung up? Just seems too stupid for words really.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Turkey said:
YFrom the first minute when he made a very good brave tackle on Paynter

was that the one that he nearly snapped both his legs off and was very lucky to stay on the pitch?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
. Were people really doing that? Or is it some kind of outlandish urban myth that's sprung up?

It's in the Argus and I have spoken to Jake about it since.
He didn't say very much about it (if anyone asks me what he said) I spoke to him and said how sorry I was that fans should treat him like that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
was that the one that he nearly snapped both his legs off and was very lucky to stay on the pitch?

No. He came across Paynter and won the ball. Nothing wrong with at all and the ref and linesman were both close and Paynter didnt ask for a free kick.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
big storm in a tea cup. everyone should just realise that there are more important things in life .... like 31 Uni students shot in Virginia today.

Move on, whingers

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wanderer said:
big storm in a tea cup. everyone should just realise that there are more important things in life .... like 31 Uni students shot in Virginia today.

Move on, whingers

Stop bouncing it then! DOH!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
i'm afraid i was playing football on saturday, what did El-Abd do?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Tom Hark said:
You'd really have to be a bit head-mental to abuse your own players before the game wouldn't you? And young players at that. Were people really doing that? Or is it some kind of outlandish urban myth that's sprung up? Just seems too stupid for words really.

wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.

I'm ceratinly not excusing El_abd and hope that after a swift apology we can all move on!

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Turkey said:
No. He came across Paynter and won the ball. Nothing wrong with at all and the ref and linesman were both close and Paynter didnt ask for a free kick.

So you're saying he IS a wanker, after all?

*snigger*

Sorry. :down:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
El Abd is just a frustrated young footballer seeing the other side of being a pro. The coaching staff and Wilkins must take some of the blame for Adam's frustrations - he has played in every defensive position plus midfield in the past few months.

The young players are being pushed from one position to another and are not being given time to master a specific position.

Every week Fraser, Robinson, El Abd, Lynch, Revell and Cox must wonder where they will be playing.

Rents and Lynch are now being given a run in their rightful and familiar positions and are two of our better players.

I'm afraid Wilkins' tactics baffle me.

Last edited:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
the first game of this season that i was able to watch was when we drew 2-2 with brentford, and it was El-Abd that missed a header in the 94th minute which cost us the game, all the fans blammed Hendo for some reason, is this really getting behind your team.
I wasn't there on saturday but had i been i probably would have booed the team of the pitch had i felt they deserved it. But the amount of people that booed Hendo, and slagged him off on this board then say that we shouldn't be booing the team. The amount of people that are so hypocritical on this board is unbelievable.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
logan89 said:
the first game of this season that i was able to watch was when we drew 2-2 with brentford, and it was El-Abd that missed a header in the 94th minute which cost us the game, all the fans blammed Hendo for some reason, is this really getting behind your team.
I wasn't there on saturday but had i been i probably would have booed the team of the pitch had i felt they deserved it. But the amount of people that booed Hendo, and slagged him off on this board then say that we shouldn't be booing the team. The amount of people that are so hypocritical on this board is unbelievable.

You have to be hypocritical on here to be accepted!

One minuite everyone is moaning that the players dont look like they want to win anymore, and dont give 100% in the games, and then as soon as someone shows a bit of heart they slag him off and say that hes just a thug!

And to be honest, if someone was shouting abuse at you for 2 hours you would be pretty pissed off, and i would probably tell them to f*** off aswell!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
timbha said:
Every week Fraser, Robinson, El Abd, Lynch, Revell and Cox must wonder where they will be playing.

Lynch is a CB, and has played CB all year so i don't know why he is in the list.

And besides Revell and Lynch the others will be lucky to get in the side, let alone in there favourite position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here