Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan make approach for Poyet

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Would like this to be true. We can all move on quickly and the club would get a circa 2m boast to the playing budget. Either way would like it to be done next week sometime.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I would be genuinely interested in seeing evidence of Gus not coming across as a self promoting career whore though, to balance out my clearly uninformed bias.

all his interviews are on player go and have a look
comes across as cocky and loving the game and the Albion and the fans sometimes a little boring wears his heart on his sleeve

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I would be genuinely interested in seeing evidence of Gus not coming across as a self promoting career whore though, to balance out my clearly uninformed bias.

Are you that dull pr*ck that used to post as glen_murray and suddenly disapeared after st paddies day?

Feb 14, 2010
This would make me laugh. "I have ambitions bigger than a club who get 30,000 for a nothing 2nd tier end of season game against Wolves" Poyet

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh dear. Could have joined Reading 4 months ago and had an outside chance of staying in the Prem but be guaranteed to be in good shape to bounce back. Now Wigan are in the frame, miles from anywhere, no fans and saddled with a Europa Cup campaign and expectations fuelled by Martinez, Prem football and the FA Cup success.

I bet he's wishing he'd taken that Reading job now. Or kept his gob shut.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear. Could have joined Reading 4 months ago and had an outside chance of staying in the Prem but be guaranteed to be in good shape to bounce back. Now Wigan are in the frame, miles from anywhere, no fans and saddled with a Europa Cup campaign and expectations fuelled by Martinez, Prem football and the FA Cup success.

You haven't got the foggiest idea of what he thinks or wants. None of us have and this thread is speculation.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Hope it's true but I very much doubt it. I would imagine Whelan would look for a loyal manager who would be excited at the opportunity, not Gus.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011

But with a better chance than Brighton of getting promotion - I doubt Poyet is as obsessed with attendances as Brighton fans are.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
If I were GP on a decent contract of that sort with a few years still to run, I might be inclined to do nothing and see what happens with the club disciplinary process. If they tried to sack me, I'd see them in court with the backing of the LMA and a close friend who is a well-connected QC with lots of experience in football. Then I'd wait for the first Premier League manager to lose his job next season. Jol, maybe.

What I wouldn't do is take a "mutual consent" - which usually means a pay-off of part of your contract on condition that you keep quiet about certain things - with only jobs like Wigan available.

Reckon this is about right, sadly. Hopefully not though...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But with a better chance than Brighton of getting promotion - I doubt Poyet is as obsessed with attendances as Brighton fans are.

I think that largely depends on what happens this summer. As things stand it's true but you don't know how many players Wigan will lose and they have the distraction of Europe. If Poyet had stayed on and we had been building our squad over the last three weeks rather than sorting out managerial issues, I think we would have been in with a very good shout of promotion.

We topped the form table in 2013 and I'm pretty confident we would have kept Upson, Hammond and Lopez if Poyet had stayed. We might even have managed to persuade Bridge to take less money to stay with Poyet (although that is less likely). Even without him, we would have been very strong candidates for a top six place again.

Now, I really don't know what to think. I think Poyet may go to Wigan to get out of the current situation and I think we would let him go too. Hope it's true although I really rate Poyet as both he and the club need to move on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think that largely depends on what happens this summer. As things stand it's true but you don't know how many players Wigan will lose and they have the distraction of Europe. If Poyet had stayed on and we had been building our squad over the last three weeks rather than sorting out managerial issues, I think we would have been in with a very good shout of promotion.

We topped the form table in 2013 and I'm pretty confident we would have kept Upson, Hammond and Lopez if Poyet had stayed. We might even have managed to persuade Bridge to take less money to stay with Poyet (although that is less likely). Even without him, we would have been very strong candidates for a top six place again.

Now, I really don't know what to think. I think Poyet may go to Wigan to get out of the current situation and I think we would let him go too. Hope it's true although I really rate Poyet as both he and the club need to move on.

a very sensible post

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...great. A whole summer of threads being hijacked by smug bloody Palace fans. Roll on August when they can all concentrate on losing football matches / slagging Holloway off again.

Absolutely. This board has gone downhill massively with palace fans allowed to post at will on every subject and derail albion discussions when they want. Palace Tossers.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
I sense that some of this hostility is being aimed at me. Yet if you remove the emotion, I am merely offering opinions that though meat be against the grain for some tastes, are relevant and logical. It is when the personal attacks appear that dealing becomes imminent.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Absolutely. This board has gone downhill massively with palace fans allowed to post at will on every subject and derail albion discussions when they want. Palace Tossers.

treat them like that old auntie who sits in the corner at Christmas who knows feck all about football and when they say anything just nod politely and smile

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I sense that some of this hostility is being aimed at me. Yet if you remove the emotion, I am merely offering opinions that though meat be against the grain for some tastes, are relevant and logical. It is when the personal attacks appear that dealing becomes imminent.

Nothing personal and no emotion, just a logical post and polite request that you stick to the Palace forum so we can discuss our club with our fellow fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here