Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan make approach for Poyet

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You haven't got the foggiest idea of what he thinks or wants. None of us have and this thread is speculation.

Wrong,,we all know what Poyet thinks, or should I say what he thought..He told us often enough. What he thinks now however is a different kettle of fish. I think the saying, be careful what you wish for, springs to mind. Because you might not get it and end up having to make do with something far worse than you already had.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wrong,,we all know what Poyet thinks, or should I say what he thought..He told us often enough. What he thinks now however is a different kettle of fish. I think the saying, be careful what you wish for, springs to mind. Because you might not get it and end up having to make do with something far worse than you already had.

Wise words, kev, wise words.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

my God are you some sort of mind reader then
crass comments on someone you don't even know

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You haven't got the foggiest idea of what he thinks or wants. None of us have and this thread is speculation.

I think I've got a pretty good idea he thinks he should be operating with a bigger budget. Just based on what he's actually said on a number of occasions.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We know Gus doesn't want to be here. We know he constantly banged on about only leaving for a 'special' club. We know Gus has an enormous ego and even bigger mouth. We also know that Wigan are NOT a special club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But with a better chance than Brighton of getting promotion - I doubt Poyet is as obsessed with attendances as Brighton fans are.

No. We don't know if Wigan have a better chance of promotion. We'll all know more come August.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can see this happening. Did Wigan get any compensation for Martinez?
Yes.

After all his talking the last couple of years about only being tempted by a BIG club. I would laugh my cock off if Poyet ended up at Wigan. Yes they may have a few quid from the Prem payments, but WIGAN pmsl.....Hardly Chelsea/Spurs or the other jobs Poyet thinks he is good enough for. Maybe poor old Gus's stock isn't quite as high as he liked everyone to believe......But then we must remember he is not leaving us, all in all it amounts to the same as a sacking!!!
If he goes to Wigan, there's a fair chance it's because of problems at Brighton. That doesn't mean he was wrong to say he'd only go to a bigger club, if there weren't any issues in his current job, that would still be the case.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just read a piece in today's i, 'Wigan will not pay the £1.7m compensation required to free Gus Poyet..... will look elsewhere for a successor to Martinez'

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That was my first reaction. I doubt Whelan rates Poyet so highly he would pay the compensation Bloom requires.
He will have to.... if he wants him to be released from his contract that runs currently until 2016.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If Wigan take Poyet they won't be paying compensation, or if they do it will be notional to save face. The club don't have a leg to stand on with regards the Poyet situation, they have two choices let him go to another club for next to nothing, or keep him. I'd chose the latter but I think it is inevitable that the former will be the case.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
That was my first reaction. I doubt Whelan rates Poyet so highly he would pay the compensation Bloom requires.

A serious question here - is Gus worth the compensation figure set by the club in anyone's eyes, or was said figure and the contract he was offered a result of TB et al being taken in by Gus hype?

Gus's ambition may have talked himself out of his current job, and the measures Brighton took to protect themselves from that ambition may have talked him out of a new one, and denied the club recompense.

Superficially, it seems a disappointing outcome for Tony Bloom, who has backed his manager admirably to this point. I'm sure he expected greater loyalty and respect in return, but I guess he himself is still on a learning curve and will ultimately come away from this experience wiser.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yes.

If he goes to Wigan, there's a fair chance it's because of problems at Brighton. That doesn't mean he was wrong to say he'd only go to a bigger club, if there weren't any issues in his current job, that would still be the case.

You mean the problems that he has created??? Any problems there are at Brighton will soon be over.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
my God are you some sort of mind reader then
crass comments on someone you don't even know

How are they crass comments???. You don't need to know someone, to hear what they have been saying for as long as we can remember. Unless of course you are saying Poyet talks a load of crap, in which case you may well have a point.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I would have thought any compensation needed to be paid for Poyet would now be considerably reduced following his suspension.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
A serious question here - is Gus worth the compensation figure set by the club in anyone's eyes, or was said figure and the contract he was offered a result of TB et al being taken in by Gus hype?

Gus's ambition may have talked himself out of his current job, and the measures Brighton took to protect themselves from that ambition may have talked him out of a new one, and denied the club recompense.

Superficially, it seems a disappointing outcome for Tony Bloom, who has backed his manager admirably to this point. I'm sure he expected greater loyalty and respect in return, but I guess he himself is still on a learning curve and will ultimately come away from this experience wiser.

Why are you joining conversations nothing to do with you or your club?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here