Wigan make approach for Poyet

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I don't disagree. It may be foolish to hang out for the compensation if it means any resolution is stalled. It would stick in my throat a little though if we let him walk for nought when at least some of whatever compensation we receive could've been invested in the squad.

that assumes that it is the club that is hanging out for compensation......

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Would you walk away from a job with a guaranteed income of 2 million plus before having secured a new one offering a similar income?
it really depends on what happen to make me think about doing it
plus I really don't think Gus is as mercenary as some people think he is

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
According to the independent Wigan are unwilling to pay the compo (1.7 mill?) so will be looking elsewhere. Independent were convinced he was joining reading so make of that what you will. It goes on to say the league managers association are trying to negotiate an exit for Poyet

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
According to the independent Wigan are unwilling to pay the compo (1.7 mill?) so will be looking elsewhere. Independent were convinced he was joining reading so make of that what you will. It goes on to say the league managers association are trying to negotiate an exit for Poyet

thats more info than we have had for 3 weeks

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Would you walk away from a job with a guaranteed income of 2 million plus before having secured a new one offering a similar income?

If I were GP on a decent contract of that sort with a few years still to run, I might be inclined to do nothing and see what happens with the club disciplinary process. If they tried to sack me, I'd see them in court with the backing of the LMA and a close friend who is a well-connected QC with lots of experience in football. Then I'd wait for the first Premier League manager to lose his job next season. Jol, maybe.

What I wouldn't do is take a "mutual consent" - which usually means a pay-off of part of your contract on condition that you keep quiet about certain things - with only jobs like Wigan available.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Given the current situation it could be that we call it quits and let him go free of charge

He is under contract, that works both ways. He won't just walk free of charge. We have to either 1. Come to a settlement. 2. Someone buy his contract out, so he can move on or 3. Find he has breached his contract of employment and sack him.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
When it was announced that Martinez was going to Everton (Tuesday I think) Whelan said that he had 4 days planned in Jersey and then he would be making a decision on the new manager within the week. So whoever he goes for it won't take too long. Funny thinking that Whelan insisted that Everton pay compensation for Martinez and that Wigan wouldn't do the same to attract someone in if what's reported is true.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Their Premier League wage bill was £37 million.

................and only 14 million in parachute money. So if Poyet were to join he's not going to have much of a budget is he. Probably be told to sell quite a bit before he can buy, unless existing sponsorship deals etc are still running at Premier league levels they might still be making some good money.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
1. Squad of prem players
2. Charity shield
3. Europa league
4. £15m a year parachute payments equivalent to about 37k season ticket holders

I would question whether anyone cares about the Charity Shield and, if you are trying to take a club up to the Premier League, I would say the Europa League is a hindrance rather than help. I agree about parachute payments and that obviously helps but if you get through to the group stages of the Europa League, that is a lot of extra games. As for the squad, they will probably lose a few especially if Man U offer serious money for Baines or Fellaini as I can see Martinez using the income to buy a few of his old players.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Based on.......?

how many of the pre and post match interviews have you seen
and anyway why am I having to justify myself to a palace man

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
how many of the pre and post match interviews have you seen
and anyway why am I having to justify myself to a palace man

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I would be genuinely interested in seeing evidence of Gus not coming across as a self promoting career whore though, to balance out my clearly uninformed bias.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here