Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan make approach for Poyet

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Like you knew exactly what was going to happen or not happen with Vicente last year. You were well & truly wrong then too.

Was I???...Yeah he proved really worth hanging onto didn't he. For the record Vicente is one of the best, if not the best player I have ever seen in the stripes. But it has to be said, the whole Vicente sage proved to be a complete waste of club funds. It's clear he was unhappy and didn't want to be here and then he states he has been fit since Xmas and Poyet didn't use him......Clash of ego's perhaps, the fans loved Vicente but no one was ever going to be bigger than Gus. All the time he was in charge.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was I???...Yeah he proved really worth hanging onto didn't he. For the record Vicente is one of the best, if not the best player I have ever seen in the stripes. But it has to be said, the whole Vicente sage proved to be a complete waste of club funds. It's clear he was unhappy and didn't want to be here and then he states he has been fit since Xmas and Poyet didn't use him......Clash of ego's perhaps, the fans loved Vicente but no one was ever going to be bigger than Gus. All the time he was in charge.

You were. I said last year which you have conveniently ignored. You said that Vicente wouldn't start 10 games which he did. 'My Old Man's a Dustmen dragging a grand piano nailed to your goolies, I believe?'

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
the problem is that with so much potential managerial talent around why would anyone pay Brighton compensation for Gus ?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Not many managers around for Championship teams/lower Premier League teams as good as Gus - if any at all.

£2.5m is a bargain for a manager of his ability.

if it is that much of a bargain why has no premiership club taken that risk? Gus has done well, but he still has lots to learn. He has had some decent support in terms of players.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well Reading tried - but obviously his suspension is a deterrent at the moment - He will have no trouble finding a good job when it's all over.

Why's that? The suspension will have flagged up a few doubts about his temperament and ability to behave graciously under pressure. Maybe potential employers will opt instead for one of the pepetual inner circle of serial losers who get fired and hired every six months or so and are all a bit rubbish but who at least have the good sense to keep schtum when it all goes tits up and not piss off the employer who is going to be paying the compo.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Well Reading tried - but obviously his suspension is a deterrent at the moment - He will have no trouble finding a good job when it's all over.

he had/has a good job here. Dont get me wrong he is a decent manager, just not the untouchable that some see him as. At the start of last season with the players he had I thought top 6 was realistic, I dont see it as a miracle against the odds that we made it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He has massively overachieved from the day he walked into this club, and you know he has. The bloke is clearly destined for great things at the highest level - I agree with @Tom Hark, Preston Park regarding his temperament and conduct - but he's a young, passionate & ambitious manager who speaks his mind - a bit like how Mourinho was when he first joined Chelsea, and just like Mourinho has he will mature with age and learn to control this aspect of his personality. Whoever is next club is, they are extremely lucky to have him, just as we are/were.

When it comes to Poyet you really have the rosiest tinted glasses in existence.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Why's that? The suspension will have flagged up a few doubts about his temperament and ability to behave graciously under pressure. Maybe potential employers will opt instead for one of the pepetual inner circle of serial losers who get fired and hired every six months or so and are all a bit rubbish but who at least have the good sense to keep schtum when it all goes tits up and not piss off the employer who is going to be paying the compo.

Paul Jewell back to Wigan then

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
He has massively overachieved from the day he walked into this club, and you know he has. The bloke is clearly destined for great things at the highest level - I agree with @Tom Hark, Preston Park regarding his temperament and conduct - but he's a young, passionate & ambitious manager who speaks his mind - a bit like how Mourinho was when he first joined Chelsea, and just like Mourinho has he will mature with age and learn to control this aspect of his personality. Whoever is next club is, they are extremely lucky to have him, just as we are/were.

massively overachieved, are you sure?

great job in league one no doubt.

he then took the best supported club in the division into the playoffs, where he was out done by holloway. Taking that team into the playoffs with:

polish international goalkeeper,
ex la liga stars.
ex england internation defenders
2.5 m cms
1m buckley
3m ulloa

plus lua lua, crofts hammond, bridcutt, greer etc.

honestly with that squad at his disposal do you really think playoffs and meak surrender in the semi was a massive over achievement. He did well but not as well as you seem to think.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

he then took the best supported club in the division into the playoffs, where he was out done by holloway. Taking that team into the playoffs with:

ex la liga stars.
2.5 m cms
1m buckley
3m ulloa

honestly with that squad at his disposal do you really think playoffs and meak surrender in the semi was a massive over achievement. He did well but not as well as you seem to think.

Losing at Barnsley and drawing at Bristol City with that squad is more a crime than losing to Palace

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sometimes everything just aligns at a club, Poyet may go on and never replicate what happened here anywhere else and end up managing the likes of Northampton Town a la Aidy Boothroyd in a season or two, or just end up playing golf.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sideways move then. He'll still be squealing like a bitch that he deserves better. **** it, let him go. Will be REALLY funny to see him implode again under the weight of his own head-mentalness. Next stop after Wigan is probably Mexico or something.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

ex la liga stars.
2.5 m cms
1m buckley
3m ulloa

Don't forget the role he played in attracting those players to the club - especially the likes of Ulloa, Orlandi and David.

Don't forget the transformational impact he has had on the playing style and philosophy at the club, which will outlast him and probably his most immediate successors.

He didn't get everything right. Arguably too tactically rigid. One or two misjudgements in the transfer market. But taking us from League 1 relegation candidates to our highest position in 30 years will make him one of our greatest ever managers - I think history will judge him kindly, despite the way it has ended / is ending.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No, after he's gone, you'll come to appreciate what a fantastic manager we have had since 2009 - I find it pretty shocking that you can't right now, given how where we were just four years ago when he took over and where we are now.

Considering you moan about most things, how come you're so positive about Gus?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No, after he's gone, you'll come to appreciate what a fantastic manager we have had since 2009 - I find it pretty shocking that you can't right now, given how where we were just four years ago when he took over and where we are now.

I find it quite shocking that you haven't got a bit of balance in your opinion of him.

He showed that he was a good manager in League One but has yet to achieve that in The Championship unlike Nigel Adkins for example.

Do you really not see any of his shortcomings?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I find it quite shocking that you haven't got a bit of balance in your opinion of him.

He showed that he was a good manager in League One but has yet to achieve that in The Championship unlike Nigel Adkins for example.

Do you really not see any of his shortcomings?

Any manager that takes a promoted club into the Championship and then finishes fourth in his second season there has a very strong claim to being a good manager there.

SeagullJR

May 9, 2012
Wigan have no income. Utd and Aresenal made more in a single prem game than they did all season. Don't really understand why Gus would want to go a from a packed Amex to an empty DW unless him and Tony really can't sort things out. What ever happens I just hope it happens soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here