Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why shouldn't I vote for the Tories?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well the reason I'll be voting against the Tories is that Cameron is way, way too Eurosceptic for me.

His ridiculous manufactured spats with Europe make me want to hurl to be honest.

Indeed perhaps we should have lived the dream and 50% youth unemployment like Spain

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
My adult life began i guess in 1995 when I left school. Things seemed to be good at the time, I remember my parents seemed fairly well off, not rich but not poor. Then Labour won the election in '97 and led us to an illigal war in Iraq and a few years later the financial crisis hit, it basically ruined my life. Now, things seem better? Wages going up (not mine) unemployment low, the economy growing? I'm not pretending to know too much about politics but can't see how voting against the Tories will solve anything?[/QUOTE

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk

Try this, you select the policy you most agree with in each topic. You are then shown which party's policy you have selected. Its a way of seeing which party policies you agree with most.You may surprise yourself, I was. Feel free to share your results with everyone after, I am intrigued.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
Milliband has as much of a backbone & substance as a jelly. The SNP have said that they will prop up a Labour minority government. Great more of our taxes heading north!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Who is this down to?
Scandal of Britain's £2.1billion wasted on European Court of Human Rights cases.
THE rampant wastefulness of the European Court of Human Rights has been exposed by figures showing that 99 per cent of claims against the Government are thrown out.
Dr Lee Rotherham, an EU expert, said: “The UK is the home of the Magna Carta and human rights. These shocking figures show how seriously tied into Strasbourg British courts are.”
His research shows that complying with the court costs Britain £2.1billion a year.
He added: “I calculate we have spent £25.7billion since 1998 when Tony Blair brought in his Human Rights Bill. It is not worth it.”
Only 13 out of nearly 2,000 cases brought against Whitehall departments last year were upheld by the Strasbourg judges.

But preparing for, and complying with, the actions still costs British taxpayers an estimated £2.1billion a year.

The cases only end up in Europe after our Court of Appeal kicks them out.

The waste of taxpayers’ cash lays bare the shambles created by the European Convention on Human Rights, which claims precedent over British justice. Critics voiced their outrage at the shocking drain on public resources.
Tory MP and former human rights lawyer Dominic Raab said: “It’s ludicrous that hard-pressed taxpayers’ money is being squandered on defending thousands of spurious human rights claims.”
Ukip MEP Diane James said: “What a waste of time, money and effort and just because the European Court of Human Rights has jurisdiction over the UK.
“If nothing else, this demonstrates why the UK judicial system should not be subservient to Europe.”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because a huge amount of people have no idea of the Party's manifesto but will vote based on who they think they should vote for, who they've historically voted for, who their family tell them they should vote for or even which candidate they find most attractive. There's not a lot of thought goes into who they should vote for.

i agree, much voting is tribal and habitual. but its doesnt really address the question: if a party only represents the interests of a tiny minority, then how have so many chosen to support it. either at least 29% of the electorate are stupid, and given the demographic that vote Tory that seems unlikely, or the notion they only support such a tiny minority is false.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Milliband has as much of a backbone & substance as a jelly. The SNP have said that they will prop up a Labour minority government. Great more of our taxes heading north!

Yep.
The former First Minister, who is standing for Parliament in May, said he would work with other parties except the Tories to 'see more progressive politics introduced across these islands'.

Mr Salmond also refused to rule out becoming Deputy Prime Minister in a Labour-SNP Coalition – but said it was more likely that his party would prop up Ed Miliband in return for more powers for Scotland, a hike in the minimum wage and scrapping Britain's nuclear deterrent.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It doesn't matter who is in charge. The British are obsessed with the next upgrade. Whether it be a TV or a house.

You either start buying TVs and find out your house is too small for it, so you look for a bigger house or see a house as being a break to make some decent money on it.

We're obsessed with making a profit on what should be a home.

Who is this down to?
Scandal of Britain's £2.1billion wasted on European Court of Human Rights cases.
THE rampant wastefulness of the European Court of Human Rights has been exposed by figures showing that 99 per cent of claims against the Government are thrown out.
Dr Lee Rotherham, an EU expert, said: “The UK is the home of the Magna Carta and human rights. These shocking figures show how seriously tied into Strasbourg British courts are.”
His research shows that complying with the court costs Britain £2.1billion a year.
He added: “I calculate we have spent £25.7billion since 1998 when Tony Blair brought in his Human Rights Bill. It is not worth it.”
Only 13 out of nearly 2,000 cases brought against Whitehall departments last year were upheld by the Strasbourg judges.

But preparing for, and complying with, the actions still costs British taxpayers an estimated £2.1billion a year.

The cases only end up in Europe after our Court of Appeal kicks them out.

The waste of taxpayers’ cash lays bare the shambles created by the European Convention on Human Rights, which claims precedent over British justice. Critics voiced their outrage at the shocking drain on public resources.
Tory MP and former human rights lawyer Dominic Raab said: “It’s ludicrous that hard-pressed taxpayers’ money is being squandered on defending thousands of spurious human rights claims.”
Ukip MEP Diane James said: “What a waste of time, money and effort and just because the European Court of Human Rights has jurisdiction over the UK.
“If nothing else, this demonstrates why the UK judicial system should not be subservient to Europe.”

I'm not in anyway questioning any of that, and agree that EU bureaucracy often self serving, but would like to add that Dr Lee Rotherham stood as a prospective Tory Party MP on a Eurosceptic tip. So baring in mind the 2.1 Billion was his estimation the truth is probably somewhat lower.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My adult life began i guess in 1995 when I left school. Things seemed to be good at the time, I remember my parents seemed fairly well off, not rich but not poor. Then Labour won the election in '97 and led us to an illigal war in Iraq and a few years later the financial crisis hit, it basically ruined my life. Now, things seem better? Wages going up (not mine) unemployment low, the economy growing? I'm not pretending to know too much about politics but can't see how voting against the Tories will solve anything?[/QUOTE

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk

Try this, you select the policy you most agree with in each topic. You are then shown which party's policy you have selected. Its a way of seeing which party policies you agree with most.You may surprise yourself, I was. Feel free to share your results with everyone after, I am intrigued.

50% conservative, 25% Green, 25% ukip

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm not in anyway questioning any of that, and agree that EU bureaucracy often self serving, but would like to add that Dr Lee Rotherham stood as a prospective Tory Party MP on a Eurosceptic tip. So baring in mind the 2.1 Billion was his estimation the truth is probably somewhat lower.

You could be right. Here are a few examples from an article a couple of years ago, this since Blair and 1998. Still his missus did well out of her husbands sign up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...in-Europe-have-cost-Britain-more-than-4m.html

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The truth is the majority of voters do not know the full policies of the party they vote for. It seems some of the parties don't know themselves as they have not fully disclosed key aspects of their manifesto.

In recent times Labour have made a total mess of the economy each time they have been in power so you really can't vote for them. The only people who will are mainly those not well off as they know Labour will give them more in taxes and benefits by increasing the deficit. I think a Coalition government as it is now is the best option for the prudent!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Also.
At least 20 foreign terrorists have used the Human Rights Act to remain in the UK, The Telegraph can disclose.
An analysis of legal cases over the past decade shows up to 28 convicted terrorists and suspects have escaped deportation and were allowed to stay in this country.
In the court cases, lawyers – typically funded through legal aid – used the Human Rights Act to prevent clients being sent overseas.
The scale of the problem represents a huge headache for the security services.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...t-has-helped-28-terrorists-to-stay-in-UK.html

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They majority of both of them are private schoolboys who are in it to keep themselves in power and rich. Tell me how can they represent the people in Britain if they are from a very select section of British society? They may go about the details differently but the outcome will be the same: the rich get richer, the rest get poorer and the next set of public schoolboys will take over the baton to oppress, sorry govern, the next generation.
What we need is a party which consists of people from all areas of British society so that it can actually speak for the people they represent!

For what it's worth, Milliband went to a state comprehensive school.
I agree with you though that we ideally want a government which contains more people from non 'elite' backgrounds. While there are plenty of private school educated people in the Labour party, they still have a significantly broader social base than the Tory party, and are more committed to principles of social mobility than the Tories. So, I still think that, even from your perspective, the Labour party is the better of the two evils, and as I noted in my previous post, their policies are much more likely to be of benefit to ordinary working people and people on low incomes than is the case with the Tories.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We, surely, as a nation (or globally) have enough money to ensure that people have access to basic human needs, but apparently not...

I'm never going to command a 7 or an 8 figure salary, but then I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.

I'm sure the top 500 richeet in the UK alone could fix a few things.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
For what it's worth, Milliband went to a state comprehensive school.
I agree with you though that we ideally want a government which contains more people from non 'elite' backgrounds. While there are plenty of private school educated people in the Labour party, they still have a significantly broader social base than the Tory party, and are more committed to principles of social mobility than the Tories. So, I still think that, even from your perspective, the Labour party is the better of the two evils, and as I noted in my previous post, their policies are much more likely to be of benefit to ordinary working people and people on low incomes than is the case with the Tories.

Do you think it is sensible to vote for what only benefits you or the country as a whole?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
up to 28 suspects have escaped deportation
Is how I read that. So less than 28 people were not sent to countries where they would definitely face torture and or death. Whatever they are suspected of I'm happy with that. Look at our history of deporting Libyan dissidents and if the European courts can prevent even a fraction of such despicable and amoral behaviour by the government it's a good thing.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Is how I read that. So less than 28 people were not sent to countries where they would definitely face torture and or death. Whatever they are suspected of I'm happy with that. Look at our history of deporting Libyan dissidents and if the European courts can prevent even a fraction of such despicable and amoral behaviour by the government it's a good thing.

more than 20 convicted terrorists it stated. the other 8 presumably suspects.
And.
In January, The Telegraph revealed how a terrorist fundraiser with links to the al-Qaeda gang that murdered 17 innocent people in Paris over a three day killing spree has continued to stay in Britain despite being convicted more than a decade ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I get that the big parties are losing support, so how the hell did AV not get the go ahead? The electorate talks the talk but is not prepared to accept willingly a coalition government.

Both the Tories and particularly the Lib Dems have been heavily criticised having done a good job in difficult circumstances. That said, I think it will be difficult for both parties to work together for another 5 years because you start to lose your distinctiveness and identity as a party when in coalition.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Do you think it is sensible to vote for what only benefits you or the country as a whole?

No party will or can satisfy the interests of everyone, because some interests are inherently opposed to each other so, on balance, I'd vote for the party that does the most for the least well-off members of society (which group, incidentally, doesn't include me - in a fair society, I would be paying a lot more in income tax than I currently do)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm absurdly wealthy and will be voting Consevatives

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here