Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why every last person on here must make a consious effort .......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Laughing Bluebird said:
WW: In another thread you suggested that Cardiff City FC and its fans didn't care about any other club, and that we were the Man Utd of South Wales.

Interesting piece of history for you: Way back in December 1976, 13,000 fans (myself included) turned out at Ninian Park on a wet Wednesday evening to watch a South Wales XI play a benefit match in aid of Newport County, who were on the verge of bankruptcy at the time. The opposition were Manchester United.
Couldn't you have just sent the money ? You could have passed your ticket on to someone else then, and Newport would have made even MORE money.

Tch, so selfish. :rolleyes:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
WW: In another thread you suggested that Cardiff City FC and its fans didn't care about any other club, and that we were the Man Utd of South Wales.

Interesting piece of history for you: Way back in December 1976, 13,000 fans (myself included) turned out at Ninian Park on a wet Wednesday evening to watch a South Wales XI play a benefit match in aid of Newport County, who were on the verge of bankruptcy at the time. The opposition were Manchester United.

Now I'm beginning to understand.

You said, "South Wales". I didn't. I said, "Wales".

You are revealing a North/South divide in Wales which obviously you subscribe to. So if Swansea were the club in crisis we wouldn't get these ignorant ramblings. It is all down to Wrexham being in North Wales.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Easy 10 said:
Couldn't you have just sent the money ? You could have passed your ticket on to someone else then, and Newport would have made even MORE money. Tch, so selfish.

Couldn't do that, I'm afraid. You see, the thing is there were a number of Cardiff City players in the South Wales XI team, so as the game was being played at Ninian Park I though it would be appropriate for a Cardiff City fan to attend. And we won. Can't remember the score though. 2-1 I think.

County used to make plenty of money out of me. I regularly went to Somerton Park to watch them when I wasn't going away with the City. Even though they were rubbish.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Waterhall Wizard said:
So if Swansea were the club in crisis we wouldn't get these ignorant ramblings. It is all down to Wrexham being in North Wales.

Interesting you should mention Swansea. They were in dire straights a couple of years ago. Desperate trouble. They were days away from extinction on a couple of occasions. The Cardiff City supporters clubs donated plenty of money to their fighting fund, even though they are supposed to be our arch enemies. Can't remember any Brighton involvement in that particular crisis though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't do that, I'm afraid. You see, the thing is there were a number of Cardiff City players in the South Wales XI team, so as the game was being played at Ninian Park I though it would be appropriate for a Cardiff City fan to attend. And we won. Can't remember the score though. 2-1 I think.

County used to make plenty of money out of me. I regularly went to Somerton Park to watch them when I wasn't going away with the City. Even though they were rubbish.
Thats nice.
As much as an evening of nitpicking with you has its undoubted appeal, I shall sacrifice this enthralling debate for now and go down the pub instead. Perhaps this will all seem more worthwhile when I am bored out of my skull at work tomorrow, but for now, lifes too short.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Easy 10 said:
Couldn't you have just sent the money ? You could have passed your ticket on to someone else then, and Newport would have made even MORE money.

Tch, so selfish. :rolleyes:

:) his reply about there being Cardiff players doesn't wash, his point was that he was supporting the Newport charity, not watching his players.

Can you imagine Cardiff fans shelling out to help an English club? "same old English,always cheating"
clear off and play in your own league then

Top man!

One of the really depressing things about following the Albion is the experience of reading snippets of history in match day programmes that tell me that the Albion's biggest ever league victory was 9-1 against Newport County in April 1951.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that there are loads of other teams who played their best ever game against the County.

The only consolation I can find is that my early years of watching football at Somerton Park were a good preparation for the Priestfield year when, if it hadn't have been for Donny, we'd have slipped into oblivion in front of crowds of less than three thousand.

It's the proudest boast of a true football fan that I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE RUBBISH.

:)

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Lord Bracknell said:
I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE RUBBISH.

I will agree with that as I spoke to him on saturday :lolol: :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Brixtaan said:
Can you imagine Cardiff fans shelling out to help an English club? "same old English,always cheating"clear off and play in your own league then

In 1992, Aldershot played their last Football League game. That game was at Ninian Park, where Cardiff City fans raised several thousand pounds for the Aldershot players, who were mostly apprentices and hadn't been paid for weeks.

A couple of years later, a combination of Cardiff fans (via bucket collections) and the club's then-chairman Rick Wright helped to pay the expenses and wages of the visiting Barnet team who, like Aldershot before them, hadn't been paid for weeks due to financial difficulties.

As far as I'm aware, neither Aldershot nor Barnet are based in Wales.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
hove born&bred said:
..........to ensure every game at Withdean is sold out from now on
because if Falmer PC or others suggest redevlopment of Withdean then how can we argue against if we can't sell it out every week.

Disagree. Strongly. f*** that 'Its your Duty' bolleaux. We already know how many people in the catchment area care about the Albion. Approximately 6,100. That's the bog standard attendance nowadays. That's the number of people prepared to sit in a puddle of icy water while being scowled at by stewards. like these 6,100 brave souls were fuckin' criminals or something. No wonder the Burnley fans refused to sit down on Saturday. Pay £20+ for THAT shit. They've got every bloody right not to sit down. Sure, the albion can get 30,000 to Cardiff on a nice sunny day where every paying customer feels like they're a valued customer. Have never felt that, not ONCE, at Withdean. The valiant 6,100 are the captive cash cow who are disgracefully asked to stump up two point five million quid FFS. Meanwhile the 23,900 who ain't been seen since Cardiff are thinking: dip in me pocket? To help that lot? f*** That For a Game Of Soldiers.

Plenty of monied ponces in this town now. They ain't NEVER going to go to Withdean - tho a quarter of a million of them and their poncey chums will turn up on Brighton Beach if FBS is doing a freebie gig. Far too much competition for the leisure pound in this town - and the Albion just can't compete for a huge lot of people, through no fault of the club's. Even if we don't get stitched up over Falmer - which frankly is looking less and less likely by the day - some of these creeps I don't reckon you'll even get to Falmer unless they're guaranteed sushi bars, wireless web access and a common oik shoeshine boy to make them feel good about their worthless selves.

So maybe we should just enjoy it while it lasts. And maybe attila could bring out a comb'n'paper version of The Specials 'Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than you think'...

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lord Bracknell said:
The only consolation I can find is that my early years of watching football at Somerton Park were a good preparation for the Priestfield year when, if it hadn't have been for Donny, we'd have slipped into oblivion in front of crowds of less than three thousand.

I was reading the County history 'Amber in the Blood' a few weeks ago, and it revealed than in 1976 the supporters of Bradford City and Southend United made significant cash collections which helped keep Newport alive. Gordon Milne also brought his Coventry City side to Somerton Park for a benefit match. County were stuffed 1-7.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The reason Withdean is not always selling out is that after 6 years, people are basically sick and tired of paying top whack for SHIT facilities.

You forgot to mention very indifferent/dull/dire/shit * football (*delete as applicable) as a factor

The prices that the club charge are not justified by the standard of football on offer

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
You've had a bad day, I take it, THPP.

Let's just say that Komedia night can't come round soon enough m'lud...

Mind you, in the olden days, all punk fanzine writers were angry young men. They just didn't realise that one day they would wake up and just be more grumpy old men.. :angry:

;)

D

Deleted User X18H

Re: Re: Why every last person on here must make a consious effort .......

Tom Hark said:
Disagree. Strongly. f*** that 'Its your Duty' bolleaux. We already know how many people in the catchment area care about the Albion. Approximately 6,100. That's the bog standard attendance nowadays. That's the number of people prepared to sit in a puddle of icy water while being scowled at by stewards. like these 6,100 brave souls were fuckin' criminals or something. No wonder the Burnley fans refused to sit down on Saturday. Pay £20+ for THAT shit. They've got every bloody right not to sit down. Sure, the albion can get 30,000 to Cardiff on a nice sunny day where every paying customer feels like they're a valued customer. Have never felt that, not ONCE, at Withdean. The valiant 6,100 are the captive cash cow who are disgracefully asked to stump up two point five million quid FFS. Meanwhile the 23,900 who ain't been seen since Cardiff are thinking: dip in me pocket? To help that lot? f*** That For a Game Of Soldiers.

Plenty of monied ponces in this town now. They ain't NEVER going to go to Withdean - tho a quarter of a million of them and their poncey chums will turn up on Brighton Beach if FBS is doing a freebie gig. Far too much competition for the leisure pound in this town - and the Albion just can't compete for a huge lot of people, through no fault of the club's. Even if we don't get stitched up over Falmer - which frankly is looking less and less likely by the day - some of these creeps I don't reckon you'll even get to Falmer unless they're guaranteed sushi bars, wireless web access and a common oik shoeshine boy to make them feel good about their worthless selves.

So maybe we should just enjoy it while it lasts. And maybe attila could bring out a comb'n'paper version of The Specials 'Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than you think'...
Erm ........ erm.......Iam not keen on the cockney influx myself I saw two of them talking at the station not long ago 'oh hi great to see you when did you move down oh I have been here a few months now its sooooooo cosmo' I nearly punched them both.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we should have a bucket collection, and buy up all the spare tickets.:jester:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Perhaps the club should get things organised in such a way that you grade the games, grade A for the games you'll all try and get tickets for, like QPR ;) and grade B for all the games unlikely to sell out.

Want a ticket for a grade A game? You've got to buy one for a grade B game at the same time.

Not selling out the Withdean should not affect the Falmer decision cos it's not just Brighton fans that don't want to go there. I know there are fans from other clubs who've been and said it's such an appalling place to watch a game of football they'll never go again.

The one thing they MUST recognise is the potential for your club. 30,000 at Cardiff and think back to the Goldstone days ... some excellent crowds, even in the lower divisions. The only professional football club in the county, stuck in an athletics stadium ... that is a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here