Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone keep bang on about how shit the atmosphere is?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
From a friend who went, he said the atmosphere was pretty bad in general. Although the palace game was much better. However he has been to saints v pompey and said it didn't even come close to that, which isn't a suprise tbh. Our rivalry is pure hatred for another city, it's not even a football rivalry, it's more.

Our ???, are you not Brighton ?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I'm in H Block WSU as well and I think the atmosphere up there is rocking.

I do agree about singing too fast though. I was watching the Spurs/Shamrock match last night and it was noticeable that when the Spurs fans sang "When the Spurs go marching in..." it was taken really slowly and sounded much more effective that way.

I can remember years ago, singing "when the stripes go marching in" at away games. I haven't heard that for ages at away games.

Maybe time to nab Spurs slow song and insert stripes??? Just a thought like

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can remember years ago, singing "when the stripes go marching in" at away games. I haven't heard that for ages at away games.

Maybe time to nab Spurs slow song and insert stripes??? Just a thought like

It is sung at away games , you probably missed it because it was sung too fast.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
I'm bewildered. I sit in the Upper West near the North Stand and the atmosphere is always fantastic. I often come away from games with ringing in my ears. Last night was f***ing loud at points, and virtually everyone around me was singing - women, kids, elderly.

Granted, the North has been quieter than I was expecting, but the West has been f***ing rocking every match I have been to.

What are you dullards all moaning about?

Baffled.

I think you'll find that Brighton fans have exaggerated the level of atmosphere (understandable after the Withdean) and therefore people expect to get blown away by it when they go, the fact is it is nothing special and therefore people will be critical, occassional loud bursts of AL-BI-ON, AL-BI-ON do not represent an amazing atmosphere.

It's good, but not that good.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think you'll find that Brighton fans have exaggerated the level of atmosphere (understandable after the Withdean) and therefore people expect to get blown away by it when they go, the fact is it is nothing special and therefore people will be critical, occassional loud bursts of AL-BI-ON, AL-BI-ON do not represent an amazing atmosphere.

Please stop perpetuating this bollocks. Compared to 90% of league football grounds the atmospheres so far at The AMEX have been very, very, very good. This is corroborated by pretty much anyone who has been there - home fans, TV pundits and those watching TV games, press reporters and honest away fans. There have been blips in the atmosphere when we have been worryingly outplayed on the pitch for extended periods - this is normal - but overall it has been superb.

Long may it continue.

These things have a self-fulfilling element to them. It is important that the more positive view of The AMEX atmosphere prevails and we get on with keeping it magic.

Maybe I'm lucky to be in WSU at the North end as this seems to give the best of both worlds - hear the North Stand loud and clear and be blown away by the wall of noise when the West gets going - but I'm sure most of the above holds true wherever you sit. If you sit towards the southern end of the ground then obviously you will hear less of the North Stand and be subject to listening to the away fans when they crank up the atmosphere.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Don't forget we did go to other grounds as well, so our entire experience isn't just from Withdean. Plus I've been to quite a few premiership matches (as a plastic Newcastle fan) so I've experienced a wide cross-section over the last fifteen years or so.

I'm not sure what club you support or how many times you've been to the Amex, but I can assure you the atmosphere is definitely up there in the top 5%. The trick will be if we can sustain it once the novelty wears off, or are we going to end up like Middlesborough? (Which also had a great atmosphere in the early days of the Riverside). Not sure if the collapse of support during the Palace game is a one-off or a sign of things to come.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4421227 said:
The glasses bloke is quality

I and everyone else around me sings constantly, I really do think it's just the weird acoustics in the ground. For example during the Leeds game just prior to halftime, I could see them all arm waving but there was no sound coming from their end, as I walked down to the councourse to get a beer this huge roar of "Marching on together" hit me just as I reached ground level.

oh? what black are you in :)?

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
The atmosphere at the Amex is excellent...my ears were ringing on Tuesday (Let us never mention it again) One small point, Im in WSU and I can see the east stand joining in with the ' We're the East/West/North stand thing, but I cant hear them. Can we get the Guiness Book of Records to confirm that this is indeed the biggest mass mime in history?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
From a friend who went, he said the atmosphere was pretty bad in general. Although the palace game was much better. However he has been to saints v pompey and said it didn't even come close to that, which isn't a suprise tbh. Our rivalry is pure hatred for another city, it's not even a football rivalry, it's more.
Oh look, a Southampton fan loudly proclaiming that his rivalry is better than Albion v Palace on an Albion board. Who'd have thought that? Yours has always been a big rivalry whereas that isn't the case with us. The main problem with Brighton/Palace is that we've hardly played in 20 years although I think you'd have been hard pushed to find a bigger rivalry in the 70s .

I am actually thankful that my team has a proper requited rivalry at all. Less than half of the league actually does, and even reasonable sized clubs like Leicester and Charlton don't have one, let alone noddy outfits like Bournemouth and Gillingham.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I agree with Moshe, this is absolute rubbish.

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
Some bloke on Soccer AM just said how electric it was at the Amex, admittedly he was referring to the south stand (at the liverpool game) but it goes for the whole stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here