Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone keep bang on about how shit the atmosphere is?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You've been there once mate when you outplayed us, I've been 6 times now so I think I'm in a better position to judge it.
Leeds f***ing owned you lot for away support, you fuckers were sat with your tails between ya legs for most of the game

Bored shitless with this outplayed nonsense - if they had outplayed us they certainly wouldn't have been so quiet for most of the match.

The reason they only livened up in the last ten is that it was dross up to that point.

Sounded good when they could be bothered but that was only right at the start and again in the last ten.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Every set of visiting fans that has come to the Amex has said the atmosphere in the ground is brilliant. Even a Palarse fan i work with said through gritted teeth that the accoustics are some of the best he's ever heard. Personally i think that after years of near silence at the Withdean what we have now is amazing & anyone saying the atmosphere is crap is talking garbage.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It was very load at the start of the game and any Palace fan who says it wasn't is talking crap.I think the performance from the players and the nerves got to the crowd as well.

croydonian

Sep 28, 2011
I watched your game against Leeds on the box and must admit I thought the atmosphere you generated was cracking. Very loud at times. Could only listen to the Palace game on the radio but thought it was a lot quieter.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
I must admit, there isn't a lot of singing in the West Stand lower but it doesn't stop me giving my all. The North & West Upper sound fantastic from down there!! If you don't think the atmosphere is good then go back to the Withdean (isn't that where all the "REAL" fans live?) Keep it up North & West Upper, I will try & encourage the West Lower :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really don't understand what the OP's going on about; WHO keeps 'banging on' about the atmosphere being shit? Every single comment on here about the atmosphere says how fantastic it is. The comments have only been about the degree of support: the North Stand being a bit quiet and everybody being too tense to cheer when things started to get a bit iffy on Tuesday. Even then on the radio it still sounded good until the Palace equaliser, and then the Palace fans showed the NSK how the St Pauli song should really be sung.

The times when I've gone it's been brilliant. For the Leeds game it was brilliant on the TV, so I must have missed the ones with the shit atmosphere - unless perhaps you count the Senior Cup final where it was only about five times noisier than Withdean as opposed to about fifty.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm bewildered. I sit in the Upper West near the North Stand and the atmosphere is always fantastic. I often come away from games with ringing in my ears. Last night was f***ing loud at points, and virtually everyone around me was singing - women, kids, elderly.

Granted, the North has been quieter than I was expecting, but the West has been f***ing rocking every match I have been to.

What are you dullards all moaning about?

Baffled.

Its because of where you sit it sounds great, your in the best place for the noise.

As you go around the ground (as i do) the noise level differ greatly. For the Palace game i was sat the south end of the east stand, consequently heard the great noise they made, occasionally the West stand , but virtually nothing from the north stand. the only time they could be heard was during the west/north interchange, but that was only because once the west stand sang their bit you were waiting for the response.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
This goes back to the old withdean argument. When the team gives the crowd something to sing about, like the majority of the last two years, the stadium will rock.

After twenty minutes EVERYBODY, players and crowd became tense and this nervousness was communicated across 'the fourth wall'. It's the aim of any away team to silence the crowd. That's all that happened. And it will happen again. 'Tha's foo'ball' (to coin a phrase).

Although it helps, I'd be very worried if singing was the sole motivation for a team playing well.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Really don't understand what the OP's going on about; WHO keeps 'banging on' about the atmosphere being shit? Every single comment on here about the atmosphere says how fantastic it is. The comments have only been about the degree of support: the North Stand being a bit quiet and everybody being too tense to cheer when things started to get a bit iffy on Tuesday. Even then on the radio it still sounded good until the Palace equaliser, and then the Palace fans showed the NSK how the St Pauli song should really be sung.

The times when I've gone it's been brilliant. For the Leeds game it was brilliant on the TV, so I must have missed the ones with the shit atmosphere - unless perhaps you count the Senior Cup final where it was only about five times noisier than Withdean as opposed to about fifty.

If I could be bothered to, I would go through each and every thread on this site and pick out the individual quotes where people have complained about the "shit atmosphere", especially for the Palace game. There's trillions. But sorry mate I can't be bothered right now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with the OP. The atmosphere is brilliant and I'd say it is better than most grounds that I have been too. I sit in the WSU and at times during the Leeds game the noise was ear splitting.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If I could be bothered to, I would go through each and every thread on this site and pick out the individual quotes where people have complained about the "shit atmosphere", especially for the Palace game. There's trillions. But sorry mate I can't be bothered right now.

Its the constant digs by WSU's about certain sections of the north stand which has led me to start comparing them to a library. Of course the atmosphere is brilliant - when the west stand sing on there own its really really really loud, its difficult to know what the noise is like when the whole ground is singing as you can only hear noise, the only way to judge it would be in a section of the ground that is not singing.

I don't know why the west stand cannot just accept that the north have a song of there own.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Sitting in the east stand it seems the perspective of where is loud depends where you sit. I guess because the WSU is so much higher than the east stand some of the noise is lost as i rarely hear the WSU whereas the Northstand I can always hear.

Thats said the noise generated from the whole ground is immense when it is all in full swing and a mate who lives in Stanmer village has commented a number of times as to how he can't believe how loud it is some of the time.

croydonian

Sep 28, 2011
I think its good to be critical to a degree. You have easily one of the best atmospheres in the championship as it stands, so stick together and it'll only get louder. It's a massive part of the match day experience and will go along way in keeping your new fans coming back. Why glory hunt when you have a club with a passionate fan base on your doorstep?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We're talking about North, West and sometimes East singing!!! That's all 3sides of home support. Not many clubs have that, maybe Stoke, Pompey. Certainly not Palace.
I wonder if some of these twats that have been saying the atmos is shit, ever even went to Withdean? Christ, I was a STH in H block for years and you couldn't even get G block singing next to you, let alone anyone else.
Amazing noise at the Amex, most new Stadiums are dead quiet but not ours.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think the whole 'the noise doesn't travel' argument is nonsense. I've sat in every stand now and you can hear (and usually see) where the noise is coming from. The wsu when in unison is incredibly loud, its best demonstrated when you are in the wsl, because it sounds incredibly loud behind you. In the wsu it is deafening at times, in the north you can't really hear much because the stand usually sings for 90 mins. In the east, well its like a library at times but you can DEFINITELY hear the other stands and the sound certainly does travel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here