Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone keep bang on about how shit the atmosphere is?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm in the north and leave every game HOARSE, usually confused only at times at which song to sing, so many being fired from all angles. The more frustrated we got on Tuesday with a slightly limp performance then obviously we quietened as the glory the opening moments so surely promised subsided. But in general it's been a non-stop party atmosphere with a rippled air of primal screams. It's amazing and long may it continue.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I could be bothered to, I would go through each and every thread on this site and pick out the individual quotes where people have complained about the "shit atmosphere", especially for the Palace game. There's trillions. But sorry mate I can't be bothered right now.
I haven't seen any, but I'll take your word that there may be a 'few' posted by idiots or trolls on a wind-up. (I'll accept your 'trillions' is an exaggeration!). It was the 'everyone' complaining comment that drew me to respond.

As I said I accept that there have been people moaning about the lack of support (rather than atmosphere) towards the end of the Palace game, but I do think that's a different argument entirely.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Anyone saying the atmosphere is shit is talking out of their arse, either that or sitting in the wrong stand. I presume they are referring to the 'atmosphere' at away matches where you hear your own singing and little else so you think you are loud - just what are you comparing it to when you say it's shit? Old Trafford/The Emirates!!!
Gus and the players will tell you otherwise, stop whining and sing louder if you want it louder, you get the atmosphere you create.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm in the north and leave every game HOARSE, usually confused only at times at which song to sing, so many being fired from all angles. The more frustrated we got on Tuesday with a slightly limp performance then obviously we quietened as the glory the opening moments so surely promised subsided. But in general it's been a non-stop party atmosphere with a rippled air of primal screams. It's amazing and long may it continue.

This.

As Meado says, the only issue (in the North) is that there seem to be 2 or 3 pockets of singing, usually with different songs. The reason the away fans (Leeds and Palace only, I genuinely didn't hear Liverpool much and the others just didn't bring enough fans) make so much noise is that the WHOLE end was singing in unison. Don't get me wrong, it is f***ing LOUD at times, but I do feel that it's diluted a bit by the different pockets of songs.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I haven't seen any, but I'll take your word that there may be a 'few' posted by idiots or trolls on a wind-up. (I'll accept your 'trillions' is an exaggeration!). It was the 'everyone' complaining comment that drew me to respond.

As I said I accept that there have been people moaning about the lack of support (rather than atmosphere) towards the end of the Palace game, but I do think that's a different argument entirely.

where do you sit ?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's quite apparent that the north and south stands can't hear each other very well. I'd like an acoustics engineer to explain this but I'd imagine it was down to two factors: (a) the relatively long distance between those stands and (b) the fact that the sound waves will be disrupted by the noise coming off the West, where there are many thousands of people, and to an extent the east. It may even have something to do with the fact that our ears are on the side of our head and we hear sounds from the left and right more accurately than the ones coming from in front, especially in a place where there's noise coming from all directions.

I'm in the family stand and heard Palace all through the game, give or take the odd five minute pause, but it's striking how many north standers say they thought Palace were quiet (they certainly weren't). Equally, I can hear the north stand very clearly whenever it gets going. Tuesday was certainly the quietest I've ever heard the north from my vantage point.

This phenomenon seems common at all grounds, by the way - I read something recently about the Holte stand at Villa not being audible in the stand opposite. Good PhD material for someone at Sussex Uni, I reckon.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I was really happy with the North on tuesday. Managed to get a fair few chants going. My only problem is that everyone seems to be at different times! It's not a race! Slow it dddoooowwwwnnn. West sounded great when it go going. We have a pretty good home support, our fans just LOVE something to moan about.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm bewildered. I sit in the Upper West near the North Stand and the atmosphere is always fantastic. I often come away from games with ringing in my ears. Last night was f***ing loud at points, and virtually everyone around me was singing - women, kids, elderly.

Granted, the North has been quieter than I was expecting, but the West has been f***ing rocking every match I have been to.

What are you dullards all moaning about?

Baffled.

The West Blocks H & I are the best and noisiest areas in the ground!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I'm bewildered. I sit in the Upper West near the North Stand and the atmosphere is always fantastic. I often come away from games with ringing in my ears. Last night was f***ing loud at points, and virtually everyone around me was singing - women, kids, elderly.

Granted, the North has been quieter than I was expecting, but the West has been f***ing rocking every match I have been to.

What are you dullards all moaning about?

Baffled.

you in block I then? I love the atmosphere. I also love when it all goes quiet and theres a few blokes in the row behing and me and a few right in the corner, and that guy 4 rows in front with glasses who shouts a lot, hes a riot. :D

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's quite apparent that the north and south stands can't hear each other very well. I'd like an acoustics engineer to explain this but I'd imagine it was down to two factors: (a) the relatively long distance between those stands and (b) the fact that the sound waves will be disrupted by the noise coming off the West, where there are many thousands of people, and to an extent the east. It may even have something to do with the fact that our ears are on the side of our head and we hear sounds from the left and right more accurately than the ones coming from in front, especially in a place where there's noise coming from all directions.

I'm in the family stand and heard Palace all through the game, give or take the odd five minute pause, but it's striking how many north standers say they thought Palace were quiet (they certainly weren't). Equally, I can hear the north stand very clearly whenever it gets going. Tuesday was certainly the quietest I've ever heard the north from my vantage point.

This phenomenon seems common at all grounds, by the way - I read something recently about the Holte stand at Villa not being audible in the stand opposite. Good PhD material for someone at Sussex Uni, I reckon.

I was in block I west stand lower for Leeds and you could hear the south very well, the reason the north cant, is because when you are standing in the north the singing around you drowns out the distant south.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
you in block I then? I love the atmosphere. I also love when it all goes quiet and theres a few blokes in the row behing and me and a few right in the corner, and that guy 4 rows in front with glasses who shouts a lot, hes a riot. :D

H Block.

Right near the group of about 12 young lads (late teens) who start quite a few of the chants and one of them looks like Tommy Elphick.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
We're talking about North, West and sometimes East singing!!! That's all 3sides of home support. Not many clubs have that, maybe Stoke, Pompey. Certainly not Palace.
I wonder if some of these twats that have been saying the atmos is shit, ever even went to Withdean? Christ, I was a STH in H block for years and you couldn't even get G block singing next to you, let alone anyone else.
Amazing noise at the Amex, most new Stadiums are dead quiet but not ours.

To the OP, it's nonsence to suggest it is a poor atmosphere at the Amex. It is only a Crapstal wind up.

The North and the West are very loud. If you went to the away games at Bristol and Leicester the home support there was pathetic in comparision, just a few hundred fans singing next to the away supporters, complemented by a fcuking drum. You did not hear anything from any other parts of those grounds.

I went to and recorded the Leeds game and the next day watched Watford v Forest (also another bl00dy drum). The difference in atmosphere was to put it mildly, highly significant.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The West Blocks H & I are the best and noisiest areas in the ground!

Include G and I'll agree with you!

I can't be bothered with all this "our stand is louder than your stand" bollox. As far as I am concerned, the atmosphere has been phenomenal at every single home game so far. I absolutely love it up in the WSU, and love hearing the North in full voice as well. Hope it carries on as it has been so far for the rest of the season.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Until we learn to slow down when we are singing GOSBTS, we will never be able to create a real (singing) identity.

Even when the club play the song as the teams come out, we still go far too quick. It's f***ing ridiculous.

I've given up joining with GOSBTS now because it sounds so fuckingshitwhenwetryandrushthewordsoutsoquickly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Until we learn to slow down when we are singing GOSBTS, we will never be able to create a real (singing) identity.
THIS!
Even when the club play the song as the teams come out, we still go far too quick.
I actually think it's just about ok when the club play it, much of the crowd goes at the right pace.
I've given up joining with GOSBTS now because it sounds so fuckingshitwhenwetryandrushthewordsoutsoquickly.
THIS! It's just a race to the finish, a complete waste. I don't know where this speed has come from, I've never heard it so fast before. Although it's our best song, I can't be bothered with it at that speed.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Even when the club play the song as the teams come out, we still go far too quick. It's f***ing ridiculous.

Thissentry.
I blame it on the smokers who all think they're running out of breath and looking to get to the ALL TOGETHER NOW the quickest for a lifesaving inhalation.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Took a Chelsea season ticket holder to the game with me on Tuesday. He told me he was jealous of our atmosphere, passion and range of chants and he wished the atmosphere was as good at Chelsea.

I've been to Arsenal and Chelsea games the last two seasons when mates have a spare ticket and I found the atmosphere in both grounds not a patch on the Amex. Lack of chants, lack of passion, lack of atmosphere.

We are very lucky.

Let's be honest the Palace fans weren't a patch on the Leeds fans. They didn't make much noise until the last ten minutes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here