Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do young single mums have kids?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I did my dissertation at uni on teenage pregnancy, I compared health stuff, income and loads of other measures of deprivation. And basically, my conclusion was this:

If the place is a shithole, there will be more pregnant teenagers.

My personal opinion is that GENERALLY, the better off you are, the more intelligent you are, therefore you have more in your life to look forward to than just having a baby. Many of these young girls feel like they have nothing to look forward to except leaving school and getting a shit job... so having a baby is the next logical step.

I think it's extremely sad.

I concur with your thoughts. If you have a shit/lonely life then you are more likely to want to bring someone else into the World almost as a fix to your own problems.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Child benefit is paid for up to 19 years as it covers further education after the kid has left school , even the reets can go to college to get a C grade in GCSE English and Maths over a 2 year course.

True, but my point was that they will probably leave school at the age of 15, and end up becoming a teenage mum on benefits themselves.
If they went into further education and/or employment, there wouldn't be such a stigma to being a single parent.

Last edited:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Without having a Kid, they are not " Priority Need" for the council to qualify for social Housing. Also as long as it is easier to sit on their fat arses milking the benefits system then this won't change. Nothing to do with maternal urges etc. Have a sprog or two and your set for life. No work, rent/C-Tax paid.

Oh whats that? all the kids have mobiles, latest "designer" chavtastic Gear, and F -Off Plasmas in their Shitty living room. Welcome to the something for nothing culture.

Used to work in social Housing, and have experienced the " I wanna Council House" demands.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I did my dissertation at uni on teenage pregnancy, I compared health stuff, income and loads of other measures of deprivation. And basically, my conclusion was this:

If the place is a shithole, there will be more pregnant teenagers.

My personal opinion is that GENERALLY, the better off you are, the more intelligent you are, therefore you have more in your life to look forward to than just having a baby. Many of these young girls feel like they have nothing to look forward to except leaving school and getting a shit job... so having a baby is the next logical step.

I think it's extremely sad.
Having had a baby at 17 (did not miss a home game!) I went on to fail miserably in my quest for a council house - went to university (with child) twice to do BA hons and MSc and now run my own business. Not sure that the above isn't a little simplistic!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are some girls who are very unhappy at home, who have been abused by their own relatives, who see having a child as a way to getting out of the situation, and setting up home on their own.
The alternative is the streets.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
1. single young girl gets pregnant with the chav she has been dating for 3 minutes because they are too stupid to take precautions. Their idea of safe sex is to probably turn the light off and shut the curtains.

2. single young girl who already has a child does not learn from the above mistake and the second young chav pops out. Doubling the benefits and getting a bigger house/flat.

3. They are very lazy and would rather sponge off the system while popping three kids out with three different dads.

4. Young couple in a loving relationship have a cjild, and the relationship breaks down.

5. Yes I am bitter at the amount of bloody benefits that go to people with kids. If you want kids then only have them if you can self support them. why should I and the rest of the working population have to pay for someone else's kids/lifestyle/house etc. I personally believe that child benefit and child tax credits should be scrapped completely. If you cannot afford to look after a child, then do not have one. IMHO.

There, rant over, possible controversial but that is my strong opinion. :rant:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So they can call their kids Mercedes or Portia, or the name of any other car that their kids were conceived on the back seats of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i didnt realise there were quite so many Daily Mail readers on this forum.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some, as 1/3 through working life in an office etc, don't fancy the thought of another 30 years doing the same, and start a family.
Have worked with some career professional women who swore blind that they couldn't stand kids, and wanted to become bosses/practice partners. Got to about 28 / 30, and no longer fancied the commuting 9 til 5 life.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A lot of you on here talk about a single mum living in a council house getting benefits as if it is some sort of golden ticket! Hardly a fuckin glorious life is it!

Oct 25, 2003
my mum was a single mum from when i was 2 (still saw my dad, he paid child support etc.)

she's not a "chav"....i don't THINK she's a "slut", we didn't live in a council house and she worked a 9-5

it's amazing how quick people are to judge isn't it?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Must be the desire of a lot of young girls to end up in the shire (whitehawk) sitting in a bedsit when they could,these days go and see the world.

nice flat, not have to work ,as much free help as possible, discount vouchers. fecking freeloaders and yes i'm talking about my 2 idiot daughters !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here