Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do English born and bred "Indians" support India?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Given that the people you talk about live in England and are part of the culture. Getting them to integrate into English society must include English people accepting and embracing their culture to a certian degree. Expecting people to completely change their culture when moving to another country is unrealistic. I think their needs to be a certian amount of compromise on both sides.

Thanks - that what i was trying to say but you did it more eloquently (and with less sarcasm)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How many "Australians" support England?

Millions, probably.

But they're still Australian. And proud of it too.

I really worry about some of our fans!
Australians that were born and bred there ? Probably count it on the fingers of one hand, same goes for the ones that lived there from a young age.I really worry about the naivete of some people.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Australians that were born and bred there ? Probably count it on the fingers of one hand, same goes for the ones that lived there from a young age.I really worry about the naivete of some people.

I think you are both wrong. Somewhere between 6 and 2 million.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think you are both wrong. Somewhere between 6 and 2 million.
You're trying to tell me that between 6 and 2 million native born aussies support england ?? sorry mate but thats rubbish, Anyway isnt it time that our resident aussie came along and told us that nobody in australia likes cricket !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You're trying to tell me that between 6 and 2 million native born aussies support england ?? sorry mate but thats rubbish, Anyway isnt it time that our resident aussie came along and told us that nobody in australia likes cricket !

Population of 20 million(ish). You are really suggesting that under 6 do?
I know one who did in the last Ashes because he hated the arrogance of the Aussie cricket team. so yes more than 6 less than s million I think is a fairly realistic bracket.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Isn't the argument about Australians quite irrelevant anyway? I'd say Indians and Australians have quite different opinions on England and English people in general.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Population of 20 million(ish). You are really suggesting that under 6 do?
I know one who did in the last Ashes because he hated the arrogance of the Aussie cricket team. so yes more than 6 less than s million I think is a fairly realistic bracket.

6 million and 2 million, you posted it originally as between 6 and 2 million

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Do you know, I think this country would have been far better off if all of the people who arrived here left their own cultures behind and adopted what we do. If those Romans hadn't brought viniculture and roads and aquaducts, or those nasty norsemen hadn't brought a democratic electoral system who knows where we would be today.

It's their fault that we lost the empire you know - apart from the fact that we'd probably not have evolved to the point of a strong ocean going nation to start the empire without them.

It is precisely because of their cultures and how we have intergrated OVER GENERATIONS that we achieved much of what we did.

I for one cannot understand why people cannot see that 1st or even 2nd generation asians who will undoubtedly have lived in a close knit family unit (after all these foreigners seem to do that, all lumped together in one house which smells funny) will have picked up a large degree of social norming and fondness for the heritage of their ancestors over that time. I mean we're talking about cricket here - not a war.

Although some are talking about a war and have made that quantum leap by refrencing people supporting the Taliban. I'm afraid conscientious 'traitors' have existed in all spheres of history. That's nothing to do with recent policies on multi culturalism. Although as in all times, some peoples lack of tolerance and willingness to integrate may have reinforced some peoples traitorous ideals.

Depends on your outlook, these islands were far from being a land of milk and honey in the aftermath of invasion by the Romans or the Vikings (whether from Scandanavia or Normandy). As I am sure you are aware the peoples in these islands were largely enslaved and subject to acts of genocide (e.g. the harrying of the north in 1069).

In fact the effects of the black death had more to do with knitting the remaining population together than anything else.

Your attitude makes you sound like a quisling, the kind of person who would have been on the south downs in 1588 berating those patriots preparing the defence of Protestant England from the Spanish Catholics because we would be missing out on the opportunity of Tapas bars, Roija and bullfighting.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I would imagine, that many Indian 'born and bred' have experienced racism from racists in England, and this will reflect in their 'patriotism' towards England. Im sure some support England however and what is England anyway....is the English cricket team specifically 'English'?..

A lot of football fans support whoever their father supports....maybe its the same issue...

Have to say, the atmosphere at the England v India matches would be shit if not for these Indian born and breds supporting India..

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Your attitude makes you sound like a quisling, the kind of person who would have been on the south downs in 1588 berating those patriots preparing the defence of Protestant England from the Spanish Catholics because we would be missing out on the opportunity of Tapas bars, Roija and bullfighting.

You see here you go making analogies to some kind of hostile 'invasion' taking place at the moment. There isn't. The people that Bushy was talking about were very willingly let in to the country - in some case sthey were invited.

But you may have a point about the spanish - it would have prevented so many brits who go abroad each year and then complain about the foreign muck they have to eat and the lack of Strongbow available in the Costa Del Sol.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
In answer to the question on the thread - mostly because of culture and heritage. Cricket is a religion to Indians and it's passed generation to generation. I know many born and raised Indians that will support England when they're not playing India and those who are born to Indian parents but rasied here are more likely to do this.

It would suit a lot of people's views to have this be about race, identity and integration, but it's not, it has more to do with family and heritage.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But you may have a point about the spanish - it would have prevented so many brits who go abroad each year and then complain about the foreign muck they have to eat and the lack of Strongbow available in the Costa Del Sol.

I'll save this and remind you of it the next time a post of yours complains about someone making generalisations about immigrants.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All this about England born people supporting India is kind of ironic when the England team itself currently features at least 4 players born in South Africa, and one from Ireland!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here