Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do English born and bred "Indians" support India?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given that the people you talk about live in England and are part of the culture. Getting them to integrate into English society must include English people accepting and embracing their culture to a certian degree. Expecting people to completely change their culture when moving to another country is unrealistic. I think their needs to be a certian amount of compromise on both sides.

Yes...."a certain amount". The devil is in the detail.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Given that the people you talk about live in England and are part of the culture. Getting them to integrate into English society must include English people accepting and embracing their culture to a certian degree. Expecting people to completely change their culture when moving to another country is unrealistic. I think their needs to be a certian amount of compromise on both sides.

Really? If you really believe that then You go and tell that to Palestinians or Irish Republicans. Let me know how you get on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
WHY???? If someone chooses to go somewhere then its up to them to fit in and adapt, end of story, you dont hear too many people on here exhorting people from brighton to make more effort to welcome the recent arrivals from london do you ? But that actually affects them personally.

Why?

Well because that would go some way to help the integration stop the hostility and pockets of different people living next to each other rather than with each other. If you are welcoming to people they are more likely to become integrated and enjoy your society and culture.

It is basic manners and human decency. If someone comes around to your house you make an effort to make them welcome. The same principal should occur in your community.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I applaud the sentiments that we should be more welcoming. However I recently interviewed a lady who had lived in the country for 35 years but could speak no English at all. (due to my job I have to ask their arrival date in the UK if they weren't born here). How exactly do you "compromise" to help that lady fit in? I appreciate in Sussex the problems aren't the same as perhaps it wouldn't be possible to live a normal life without speaking English but in small pockets of the country English is hardly spoken and people are able to get by perfectly well without needing to learn it.
P.S. i'm sure ex-pats in Spain etc don't learn the language which is equally bad.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why do people from London support Manchester United? Why do people from Maidenhead support Brighton, why do people from Plymouth support Liverpool, why do people form Ireland support Celtic?

Freedom of choice perhaps, or a preference, or maybe a historical reason pertaining to family roots. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
WHY???? If someone chooses to go somewhere then its up to them to fit in and adapt, end of story, you dont hear too many people on here exhorting people from brighton to make more effort to welcome the recent arrivals from london do you ? But that actually affects them personally.

Your analogy is an economic one rather than cultural. There is no doubt the people moving can fit into Brighton which has a unique ability to house a wide variety of people, however the recent arrivals are seen as an economic threat to rising house prices, and in some sense overcrowding, this has nothing to do with any cultural differences.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?90993-Monty-Panesar-racially-abused

I tried to bounce an old thread but it's been moved, link above. Interesting development on this thread that Monty Panesar has been helping Tendulkar in the nets. Why would an england player do that? :facepalm:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/8663782/England-coach-Andy-Flower-to-ban-Monty-Panesar-from-giving-net-practice-to-Sachin-Tendulkar.html

Sussex are playing a match against the Indians in August to help them warm-up for the ODIs, maybe we should cancel that.

I would think it would be mutually beneficial for England's 2nd spinner to get some practice against one of the best batsmen of all time. Especially as he's unlikely to ever play him again (apart from maybe the Sussex match) and Monty doesn't bowl like Swann so it would be of limited use to Tendalker

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Your analogy is an economic one rather than cultural. There is no doubt the people moving can fit into Brighton which has a unique ability to house a wide variety of people, however the recent arrivals are seen as an economic threat to rising house prices, and in some sense overcrowding, this has nothing to do with any cultural differences.
Moving goalposts and obfuscating seems to be a speciality of yours, firstly, what is “unique” about Brighton’s ability to house a wide variety of people? Much as I love it, it’s a seaside town with housing stock similar to most other towns, seaside or otherwise, as for the perceived threat of people moving to Brighton , it makes no difference whether it’s economic or cultural, the hypocrisy of posters is astounding when it comes to something which directly affects them, you mention that the threat is seen as affecting house prices and overcrowding, lets start a thread on how many immigrants are in social housing in London , leading directly to native born British people missing out, and see how those resident in Brighton respond eh ? I can guarantee in the main it will be unsympathetic to people complaining about immigrants receiving preference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A two year old story of drug dealers on Ibiza is the best you can come up with ?

There are a lot of stories from Costa Del Crime (clue is in the name) and Spain in general. This was the first one I selected.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Moving goalposts and obfuscating seems to be a speciality of yours, firstly, what is “unique” about Brighton’s ability to house a wide variety of people? Much as I love it, it’s a seaside town with housing stock similar to most other towns, seaside or otherwise, as for the perceived threat of people moving to Brighton , it makes no difference whether it’s economic or cultural, the hypocrisy of posters is astounding when it comes to something which directly affects them, you mention that the threat is seen as affecting house prices and overcrowding, lets start a thread on how many immigrants are in social housing in London , leading directly to native born British people missing out, and see how those resident in Brighton respond eh ? I can guarantee in the main it will be unsympathetic to people complaining about immigrants receiving preference.

What is unique is that there is generally a seamless integration of various types of society, whether gay, green, religious, cultural or otherwise that happily share a city side by side. People in the city generally embrace these differences which is why so many small businesses with unique offers and services survive here whereas in other cities they would not. It is also why the city has become such an attractive place to live over the last decade. Housing and housing stock don't make a town, the people that live and use it do.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What is unique is that there is generally a seamless integration of various types of society, whether gay, green, religious, cultural or otherwise that happily share a city side by side. People in the city generally embrace these differences which is why so many small businesses with unique offers and services survive here whereas in other cities they would not. It is also why the city has become such an attractive place to live over the last decade. Housing and housing stock don't make a town, the people that live and use it do.
Bet hove born and bred would disagree !! and i've seen plenty of so called "liberal" posters on here who happily espouse the benefits of the wonderful multicultural melting pots that are the inner cities bemoaning the influx of outsiders into brighton and hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here