Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did you build your ground so small.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Whether you believe me or not is immaterial, you're probably riled by the fact it means there will be 2 less tickets available to the home fans for your cup final.

Our cup final?

If you are complaining about number of tickets, this can only mean two things:

1. This is your cup final.
2. We have a ridiculous big home support compared to you.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway...

why did we build our ground so small:
1) Planning issues - we obviously have to show we can deal with 22k before extending to 30. Had we wanted to build a stadium capable of holding 35/40 would we have failed to get permission?
2) Demand - did the directors simply think that there wouldn't be the demand for over 30k in Brighton?

I think that's fair comment. The whole planning procedure would have been masively more difficult for you wwith a 30k capacity stadium. Even the one you have now is substantially more obtrusive obn the landscape than the green-roofed "eco-friendly" visualisations which were the subject of the artistic impressions back in the dark days of 2005.
Like the Newhaven incinerator (and another huge slab shortly to be built in the middle of Seaford for McCarthy and Stone for the "Frail and elderly") the artists' drawning sem to somehow not convey the sheer bulk of their intended structure. And the Inspectors always seem to fall for it..

And as for the demand, that too is fair. What did you get at the Goldstone towards the end, admittedly with much of the ground closed off? Harking back to glory days of the early 1980's isn't fair comparison. Most clubs now get nothing like the crowds of those days. Blame Sky.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think that's fair comment. The whole planning procedure would have been masively more difficult for you wwith a 30k capacity stadium. Even the one you have now is substantially more obtrusive obn the landscape than the green-roofed "eco-friendly" visualisations which were the subject of the artistic impressions back in the dark days of 2005.
Like the Newhaven incinerator (and another huge slab shortly to be built in the middle of Seaford for McCarthy and Stone for the "Frail and elderly") the artists' drawning sem to somehow not convey the sheer bulk of their intended structure. And the Inspectors always seem to fall for it..

And as for the demand, that too is fair. What did you get at the Goldstone towards the end, admittedly with much of the ground closed off? Harking back to glory days of the early 1980's isn't fair comparison. Most clubs now get nothing like the crowds of those days. Blame Sky.

Come on DB, if you're gonna offer an opinion, please get some accuracy to your posts.

the only difference between the 2004 images and the 2007 ones are that the roofs over the rear portion of the end stands isnt covered in turf. This was allowed to be changed as the revised roofs are MORE environmentally friendly than the original ones as they require less materials and retain energy better.

As for the bulk - the planning inspectors asked for a crane to be raised at the site to the maximum height that was applied for and they viewed this from all parts of the area including hollingbury. They noted it's size and found discrepancies between their view and the images the club provided but considered these not material to their final decision. They didn't 'fall' for anything!

new stadia usually see an increase of 50 to 70% on previous average home crowds so given our last 3 years it was reasonable to assume that crowds would be between 12 and 14k with extremes nearer 17k for key games and maybe the odd sellout.

We've just been lucky perhaps that the style of play and on pitch success have got people interested. What a great position to be in?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Harking back to glory days of the early 1980's isn't fair comparison. Most clubs now get nothing like the crowds of those days. Blame Sky.

Damned with faint praise and lashings of bullshit. Most clubs in the early 80s suffered huge drops in attendances and if anything a combination of Sky and World Cup 1990/Euro Finals 96 helped increase interest in football again. Have a look at Palace attendances during the "glory" days:

1988-89 10,655
1987-88 9,745
1986-87 7,583
1985-86 6,787
1984-85 6,440
1983-84 8,119
1982-83 10,034
1981-82 10,030
1980-81 18,678

Average attendances - Crystal Palace FC Supporters' Website - The Holmesdale Online

Brighton easily matched those figures for most of those years and only dropped significantly in the late 80s/ early 90s onwards - a period when we were in near terminal decline (and you know the rest).

What does this show? That Brighton are historically about the same size as Palace in terms of support and that (probably) if we had stayed at the Goldstone and if we'd lived beyond our means as consistently as Palace then our attendances would have matched yours.

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
Hhhm.. This thread prompted me to have a look at the Palace website, something I haven’t done for ages. They seem to be obsessed with everything Brighton. Large amounts of threads and pages dedicated to our Stadium, chairman, players, supporters etc. although it is noted that the vast majority of these are posted by the same small band of morons - no doubt also masquerading on here under different names. One can only imagine that life as a Palace supporter is so boring that you have to turn your attention to other clubs to get your kicks.

It is quite apparent that lingering behind the childlike abuse is a clear case of envy and worry. No doubt that after opting out of picking on your nearest rivals, Millwall, for fear of a good shoeing , then having your chosen rivals Brighton finding success, life appears more desperate than normal in Croydon.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why yes, a likely story young Nigel. I'll just phone up HSBC and get them to give me a ticket for AS Monaco.

The Amex-being-able-to-get-you-tickets (for close to anything) bit is generally true for a Platinum Charge or Centurion card.

The chance of a Palace fan having either of these... isn't.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It is quite clear to me that that the majority of Palace fans are very jealous, not that I blame them.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I have a platinum AMEX card and they won't give me shit!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Hmmm man Utd average gate before 1992 - around 38,000.
After 1992 - extended the stadium to hold over 75,000

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Yeah - this is SO obstrusive!

attachment.php

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Well this has esculated some what! First of all, I never said the tickets were free. AMEX are entitled to tickets as they're your sponsor and my Dad asked for 2 tickets, they said yes for 25/30 quid each. They're also definitely not in the 1901 seats. I've no idea why most of you find this so hard to believe but that's not my problem.

Oh and no need to worry about his safety, we both sat in the South Stand for our 0-0 back in 2002. It was ironically a good move considering the clashes between fans after the game and we didn't witness any goals thanks to the heroics of Alex Kolinko.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Hhhm.. This thread prompted me to have a look at the Palace website, something I haven’t done for ages. They seem to be obsessed with everything Brighton. Large amounts of threads and pages dedicated to our Stadium, chairman, players, supporters etc. although it is noted that the vast majority of these are posted by the same small band of morons - no doubt also masquerading on here under different names. One can only imagine that life as a Palace supporter is so boring that you have to turn your attention to other clubs to get your kicks.

It is quite apparent that lingering behind the childlike abuse is a clear case of envy and worry. No doubt that after opting out of picking on your nearest rivals, Millwall, for fear of a good shoeing , then having your chosen rivals Brighton finding success, life appears more desperate than normal in Croydon.

Where are these supposed threads? I see one about Brighton Away in Ticket Talk and the rest are in Away Fans, which is full of Brighton fans who were nowhere to be seen a couple of years ago.

Life in Croydon probably is pretty desperate but you're just as obsessed and have been itching to play us regularly for 20 + years.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well this has esculated some what! First of all, I never said the tickets were free. AMEX are entitled to tickets as they're your sponsor and my Dad asked for 2 tickets, they said yes for 25/30 quid each. They're also definitely not in the 1901 seats. I've no idea why most of you find this so hard to believe but that's not my problem.

Oh and no need to worry about his safety, we both sat in the South Stand for our 0-0 back in 2002. It was ironically a good move considering the clashes between fans after the game and we didn't witness any goals thanks to the heroics of Alex Kolinko.

My understanding is that there are 1000 tickets held back for the club and title sponsor to use for comps, hospitality, director's box, competitions, promotions and charity. I suspect that you and your father fall into the last category. :lolol:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
This thread is hilarious. The number of tickets given to Palace will be more than enough considering they couldn't even sell more than a few hundred tickets at Withdean. Even with the new ground making it more appealing for them the fact its now an evening game and the likelyhood of them being a sitting duck waiting for transport away form the stadium will put a few of them off. Every Brighton idiot from the last 30 years will show for this one. I can't see them selling more than 2000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here