Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't mean this in a patronising way, but I genuinely feel sorry for those people who are more excited by the prospect of an Albion friendly than what's happening with our national team right now. If this apathy from so many on here is the effect of being a bottom-half Premier League team striving for 40 points each year, then I must say that I feel disconnected from many Albion fans at this point in time.

Fair enough, we are all different but however bad things are with the Albion I feel a real connection with the current set up. I don’t feel the same about England. No need to feel sorry for me, you go ahead and enjoy yourself. I have noticed that there are quite a few NSCers who love following England but spend most of an unspectacular season moaning about the Albion. I find that odd :shrug: I say again we are all different and there is no right or wrong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't mean this in a patronising way, but I genuinely feel sorry for those people who are more excited by the prospect of an Albion friendly than what's happening with our national team right now. If this apathy from so many on here is the effect of being a bottom-half Premier League team striving for 40 points each year, then I must say that I feel disconnected from many Albion fans at this point in time.

Great post. How people can be ambivalent about their national side doing so well in an absolutely world class tournament and still get excited about us finishing 16th on 40 points is baffling.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It’s because everyone down on England . That’s the fashionable thing to do and most been peddling the anti England / Southgate etc campaign for weeks . Heads get routed in this constant negative thinking .

Much like a negative person it takes work and time .

Shame as what a ride this is .

Maybe a life lesson for negative thinking in future

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't understand why you feel the need to post this opinion? You're so not fussed that you have to tell us you're so not fussed?

All the inane, trivial, vacuous, insipid, juvenile shite Stat Brother pollutes this board with and you pick on a genuine football debate thread....Seriously?

:lolol::thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great post. How people can be ambivalent about their national side doing so well in an absolutely world class tournament and still get excited about us finishing 16th on 40 points is baffling.

Yeah but you are all about the winning so I accept you don’t get it. You are not alone but it doesn’t make your opinion any more valid for anyone except you and like minded people.

We are all different and I hope I don’t talk down people who think differently.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course want England to win but no comparison to watching or supporting Brighton. Even on Saturday once we were 2 up and looking comfortable lost a bit of interest and took dog for a walk. If an Albion game I wouldnt take my eyes off and would be up and down in my seat throughout. After a win would be replaying all goals for a few days but have no interest in looking back on Saturdays game

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of course want England to win but no comparison to watching or supporting Brighton. Even on Saturday once we were 2 up and looking comfortable lost a bit of interest and took dog for a walk. If an Albion game I wouldnt take my eyes off and would be up and down in my seat throughout. After a win would be replaying all goals for a few days but have no interest in looking back on Saturdays game

That’s me too

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

If we get to the final will you take the dog out in the middle of that?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I watched the Scotland (GB) Curling Team at some ungodly hour a few years ago when they won it. I haven’t watched a game since :lolol:

Everyone loves a Final don’t they?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me probably a combination of getting older, the disappointment of the so called ‘golden generation’ and the fact the players now earn far x3 or more the average annual wage in a week.

I think the days of the players and fans relating to each other, has passed unfortunately.

Which squad would you rather go for a drink with 1990, 1996 or 2021? In fairness 2021 would be much better than anything between 2008-2018, but the point remains.

Football has become far to money orientated and the lack of honour amongst the players with the theatricals, leaves a nasty stain on the game.

FIFA & UEFA could easily stamp out serious cheating/gamesmanship but do nothing.

0_E3xEgfSXwAAqmYd.jpg

What about if Jesse brings his parrot ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Having watched all the England games it feels a little bit like the start of a League Cup run where you get a decent draw and get matches against league 1 or 2 teams with a fading giant like Forest added to the mix and knowing that you will draw a top PL team at some point and that will probably be that

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That was one reason, the other was the distraught looking Ukrainian Mrs next to me, who genuinely believed they would win..... we've watched and supported both teams, but obvs last night we were rivals...... Every England fans knows how gutting it feels when you hope so much and you fall short....... when 3rd and 4th went in I just smiled to myself and not a noise..... Could see she was totally gutted..... Weirdly I was hoping we didn't score anymore as it was already humiliating enough.

View attachment 138265

I think Ref added to the humiliation by not playing any added time, it said "no point, it can only get worse"

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
If there was a Fulham player in the side then yes I'd be excited. The oafish booing of opposition national anthems and jeering of the German girl sickens me and does not make me proud to be English. I'm pleased for Southgate and the players but can't get emotionally invested.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I more excited than I would normally be, but still not at the level of seeing Brighton play a pre-season friendly. I think it’s a case of being so invested in my club, that my country comes a very distant second!

So lets get this straight.

You would rather see BHA win a meaningless pre-season friendly against *whoever*, than see England beat Denmark to make our (OUR) first major Final for 55 years.

Thats what you're saying.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Yes I could well take dog out if we are strolling game and not exciting, Have been watching Albion for years and with very few exceptions the pleasure of a win and disappointment of a loss is huge and not something I experience with international football.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You would rather see BHA win a meaningless pre-season friendly against *whoever*, than see England beat Denmark to make our (OUR) first major Final for 55 years.

I didn’t read it that way. Isn’t he talking about excitement/anticipation levels ? I think the comparison with a friendly is probably a little extreme but I understand the point about comparative levels of emotional investment. We are in the process of moving house so have been quite busy. We missed the beginning of the Ukraine match and I did remark to my wife that had it been the Albion I would have been rushing around with a bit more urgency to see the whole game. Having said that I have enjoyed every England game at this tournament but without being massively bothered about the result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes I could well take dog out if we are strolling game and not exciting, Have been watching Albion for years and with very few exceptions the pleasure of a win and disappointment of a loss is huge and not something I experience with international football.

Fantastic. The entire country will be watching its national team try and win a first tournament since most of us were born and you'll be taking Fido for a shit. And you call yourself a football fan :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

It's absolutely astonishing, isn't it?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Fantastic. The entire country will be watching its national team try and win a first tournament since most of us were born and you'll be taking Fido for a shit. And you call yourself a football fan :rolleyes:
A dog's got to do what a dog's got to do.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What a load of utter bollocks, if you go back before the Germany game England had no chance according to the experts on here, now after a super England win Germany aren’t a top side and we are yet to face a top side :facepalm: Funnily enough Ukraine were a good side until we schooled them Ukraine were obviously tired from a couple of short flights around Europe though :lolol:

The same pattern is now repeating with Denmark, if we beat Denmark then it will repeat with Italy or Spain. The favourites Belgium, France, Portugal haven’t played to anywhere near the levels of England this tournament and that is a fact like it or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here