Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The comments about "it's only Ukraine/Czech Republic/Colombia/Sweden recently, we should be beating these teams anyway" - that's the point. In previous years we would've lost or drawn those games. Russia, Slovakia, Iceland, Algeria, USA in recent years. We're now winning the games we're expected to, that's a big step forwards.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I was there when we did the business in 1966 so I’m not quite a newbie at seeing England triumph. So a bit of reserved inner contentment is my bag at the moment. If we do the improbable and win the tournament I will no doubt celebrate with a glass of Port and some crumbly Stilton. :cool:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.
Yes, it's happened to me too. I used to be so into engerland and the bi-annual **** up up. It used to plunge me into a deep dark mood whenever it happened, i.e. always. Now I watch with mild amusement.

It's either decades of abject failure at their hands or its Albion being successful and hence having that competitor view of the England players. Or a combination of both I guess. Anyway, it's certainly gone for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I was there when we did the business in 1966 so I’m not quite a newbie at seeing England triumph. So a bit of reserved inner contentment is my bag at the moment. If we do the improbable and win the tournament I will no doubt celebrate with a glass of Port and some crumbly Stilton. :cool:

Good post; I had a similar experience.
I was very excited then and I am sure it inspired me to watch football regularly and go to the Goldstone the following season. My Albion history began the following November and has been going strong ever since, wherever in the world I have been....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me too.

If we beat the Danes my belief will go right up, but they are not going to back off us as the ukraines did.

England usually go out to the first top 10 ranked team they meet…which will be Denmark this time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For me probably a combination of getting older, the disappointment of the so called ‘golden generation’ and the fact the players now earn far x3 or more the average annual wage in a week.

I think the days of the players and fans relating to each other, has passed unfortunately.

Which squad would you rather go for a drink with 1990, 1996 or 2021? In fairness 2021 would be much better than anything between 2008-2018, but the point remains.

Football has become far to money orientated and the lack of honour amongst the players with the theatricals, leaves a nasty stain on the game.

FIFA & UEFA could easily stamp out serious cheating/gamesmanship but do nothing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Being completely honest I didn’t go mad for any of them and I’m the same as the OP, I’m still angry about the 1990 WC semi final, took me many weeks to get over that, I even kept thinking days after it was either a bad dream or FIFA would reverse the result due to the West Germans cheating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ouch, reopens an old wound that does. I was at one of our shared houses in Jersey, 15 or so of us watching whilst getting pissed. At the end of the game, Geoff Skoda (named for obvious reasons, and a typical dour-sounding Brummie with zero interest in football) walks into the room and says ‘what’s the matter with you lot, it’s only football’.

***t

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because, deep down, loads of us are expecting it to end in abject disappointment - most have known nothing different with England in our lifetimes. Hence we aren’t getting too excited…….
This, born in 1960, too young to appreciate 1966, gutted in 1970 and subsequently disappointed / let down every two years since then apart from Italia '90... I'm optimistic but still realistic!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I was obsessed with football in my teens and twenties but as i get older my interest is slowly going, especially for internationals. Don't get me wrong i am still passionate about the national team but not as much as i use to be.

Absolutely this, I’d also like to think that if this was the World Cup I’d be more excited than I am about the Euros.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If we beat the Danes and meet Italy, I fear the worst, the Italians will roll around, on the floor, time waste and fluke a penalty and a night of carnage will follow…..

If we face Spain however, things could well go our way…..

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
to answer the op, because we haven't beaten anyone good yet and yes, I include the Germans in that ?
Also we've only had to play one game away against a knackered Ukraine side from all the travelling they had to do !

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
For me probably a combination of getting older, the disappointment of the so called ‘golden generation’ and the fact the players now earn far x3 or more the average annual wage in a week.

I think the days of the players and fans relating to each other, has passed unfortunately.

Which squad would you rather go for a drink with 1990, 1996 or 2021? In fairness 2021 would be much better than anything between 2008-2018, but the point remains.

Football has become far to money orientated and the lack of honour amongst the players with the theatricals, leaves a nasty stain on the game.

FIFA & UEFA could easily stamp out serious cheating/gamesmanship but do nothing.

This, this and this sadly 👍

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am walking alongside the Band Wagon but I have yet to get on board…

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I am walking alongside the Band Wagon but I have yet to get on board…

Good description, That describes me too. I want to watch, but don't feel I've got anything invested in the game.
Albion Games are different.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think for a minute we'll win it but I'm enjoying it immensely, have warmed to both Southgate and Pickford and cannot think of a better way to spend the early summer.

The tournament as a whole has been superb. Great football, decent refereeing and minimal use of VAR. Please, please, please that this mix of styles, refereeing that lets the play go as much as possible and proper use of VAR and the monitor continues in the Premier League and it's not another dull season of whistle happy playing out from the back with every touch reviewed.

Say what you like about UEFA, this tournament is showing us how it should be done and England now have a genuine one in four chance of winning it :thumbsup:

And fans are back :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good description, That describes me too. I want to watch, but don't feel I've got anything invested in the game.
Albion Games are different.

I have enjoyed the wins, it’s fantastic for those who have never seen us go all the way, I totally get that. I just can’t get enthusiastic like I do about the Albion. It’s weird I accept

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I don't mean this in a patronising way, but I genuinely feel sorry for those people who are more excited by the prospect of an Albion friendly than what's happening with our national team right now. If this apathy from so many on here is the effect of being a bottom-half Premier League team striving for 40 points each year, then I must say that I feel disconnected from many Albion fans at this point in time.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

I don't understand why you feel the need to post this opinion? You're so not fussed that you have to tell us you're so not fussed?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have enjoyed the wins, it’s fantastic for those who have never seen us go all the way, I totally get that. I just can’t get enthusiastic like I do about the Albion. It’s weird I accept

Not weird at all, you can love club football and not care that much, or at all, about the national team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here