Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the 1980s Waterhall stadium proposal?

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
I've got the copies of the Argus with all the detail somewhere, I seem to remember it made the front pages, although that might have been the Goldstone redevelopment plans. I'll try and find them when I'm home tonight.

I've found some cuttings from the Argus from 1977, detailing plans to improve the Goldsone, with drawings of the West Stand and East Terrace. I'll scan them and try and post them on here tomorrow,......if anyone's interested!!!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've found some cuttings from the Argus from 1977, detailing plans to improve the Goldsone, with drawings of the West Stand and East Terrace. I'll scan them and try and post them on here tomorrow,......if anyone's interested!!!!

Yes please. i seem to remember plans for exec boxes hung under the roof of the north Stand.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Go on, please do! Make us laugh, only 32 years later.

*feeling old*

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Okay, this thread has got me thinking about Albion proposed stadia and redevlopments. Here's a little quiz and lets see who gets the answers:

1) In the early 1990s, which property development company did the Albion join together with 'to launch the process of delivering our new home'?

2) Which Albion Director was placed in charge of that project?

3) Where was that new home proposed for at the launch?

4) Which Albion Director did the then Albion Managing Director allegedly grab by the lapels when a potential move to Beeding Cement works got blocked by him?

5) Which team did Mike Bamber suggest the Albion could groundshare with at a new stadium near Gatwick?

6) In which year did the Football Trust approve a grant towards the redevelopment of the East Terrace at the Goldstone?

7) Who was the Albion chairman when the club submitted a planning application for a new stadium at Waterhall?

8) What was the name of the campaign led by Supporters to increase the retail value of the Goldstone by granting planning permission for it?

9) Name the 3 venues 'explored' by David Bellotti for the 'temporary' Albion groundshare to follow the sale of the Goldstone?

10) Which ground did Dick Knight attempt to move the Albion ground share from Gillingham to?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
1) In the early 1990s, which property development company did the Albion join together with 'to launch the process of delivering our new home'? Chartwell ?

2) Which Albion Director was placed in charge of that project? Barry Lloyd

3) Where was that new home proposed for at the launch? Toads Hole

4) Which Albion Director did the then Albion Managing Director allegedly grab by the lapels when a potential move to Beeding Cement works got blocked by him? Wanker... Bellendi... Belotti

5) Which team did Mike Bamber suggest the Albion could groundshare with at a new stadium near Gatwick? Palarse

6) In which year did the Football Trust approve a grant towards the redevelopment of the East Terrace at the Goldstone? 1985? the South end of the terrace was repaired

7) Who was the Albion chairman when the club submitted a planning application for a new stadium at Waterhall?

8) What was the name of the campaign led by Supporters to increase the retail value of the Goldstone by granting planning permission for it?

9) Name the 3 venues 'explored' by David Bellotti for the 'temporary' Albion groundshare to follow the sale of the Goldstone? Millwall, Portsmouth, Gillingham

10) Which ground did Dick Knight attempt to move the Albion ground share from Gillingham to? Corals

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
1) In the early 1990s, which property development company did the Albion join together with 'to launch the process of delivering our new home'? Chartwell ? x

2) Which Albion Director was placed in charge of that project? Barry Lloyd x

3) Where was that new home proposed for at the launch? Toads Hole x

4) Which Albion Director did the then Albion Managing Director allegedly grab by the lapels when a potential move to Beeding Cement works got blocked by him? Wanker... Bellendi... Belotti x

5) Which team did Mike Bamber suggest the Albion could groundshare with at a new stadium near Gatwick? Palarse y

6) In which year did the Football Trust approve a grant towards the redevelopment of the East Terrace at the Goldstone? 1985? the South end of the terrace was repaired x

9) Name the 3 venues 'explored' by David Bellotti for the 'temporary' Albion groundshare to follow the sale of the Goldstone?

10) Which ground did Dick Knight attempt to move the Albion ground share from Gillingham to? Corals x

sorry 1 correct :blush:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
4) Which Albion Director did the then Albion Managing Director allegedly grab by the lapels when a potential move to Beeding Cement works got blocked by him? Barry Lloyd

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
As you didn't see my edit:

9) Name the 3 venues 'explored' by David Bellotti for the 'temporary' Albion groundshare to follow the sale of the Goldstone? Millwall, Portsmouth, Gillingham

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
... and:

10) Which ground did Dick Knight attempt to move the Albion ground share from Gillingham to? Crawley (though I'm sure the dog track was at least investgated as a possibility)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
The grant for the East Terrace was awarded during the 1994/95 season.

correct

Dick Knight tried to have us ground share at Milwall and Woking at various points to try and get us out of Kent.

correct although the only formal request to the football league was for Millwall and it was rejected on police advice as the Met didn't want another club.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
... and:

10) Which ground did Dick Knight attempt to move the Albion ground share from Gillingham to? Crawley (though I'm sure the dog track was at least investgated as a possibility)

dog track was one of the suggested venues for the temporary home at the time that withdean came through

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here