Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the 1980s Waterhall stadium proposal?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Could I trouble you to go up into your loft, dig around, find it, come back down, scan it, save it to your PC, imageshack it, and then post it on here please ?

Ta :)

xxx

Sorry, mean to say my parents loft. I'll dig them out next time I'm down in Sussex as the old man's harking on about sorting it all out and it'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Coming soon in that respect..... :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What worries me about Falmer, which I think shows up in the £66m costs now estimated to build it, is all the work necessary to flatten the site.

Let's face it the obvious place to build a stadium quickly and cheaply is on flat land. That would have been easier when the whole field at Falmer was planned to be used for the stadium, but not when they had to squeeze it into the Brighton half , to avoid building any of the stadium structure in the part controlled by LDC.

£93m is a massive price to pay for a 21,000 seater.:(

Someone better tell the club this quickly. They've already started digging :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where do you think the spoil is going to go to?

The Orchestra plays Falmer, but where is the Picture Book?

With private capital the politicians follow the Orchestra. The Politicians just put shackles on you to prevent you doing exactly as the private capital pleases.

What on EARTH are you wittering on about ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's face it, that would be a pretty weird form of psychological disturbance to try and explain away.

"Doctor I'm haunted by visions...visions of fictional Brighton and Hove Albion publications containing images of proposed stadium development work"...you'd be locked up.

:lolol:

What worries me about Falmer, which I think shows up in the £66m costs now estimated to build it, is all the work necessary to flatten the site.

Let's face it the obvious place to build a stadium quickly and cheaply is on flat land. That would have been easier when the whole field at Falmer was planned to be used for the stadium, but not when they had to squeeze it into the Brighton half , to avoid building any of the stadium structure in the part controlled by LDC.

£93m is a massive price to pay for a 21,000 seater.:(

i must admit i was bit befuddled by the stadium construction costs having gone up to £66m and the rest (I presume £25m) going on "associated legal, refurbishment and acquisition fees".

Do we have any idea what "associated legal, refurbishment and acquisition fees" might entail?

We've been given the site by the counmcil so it can't be that - and what might we be refurbishing (new buildings for the university???)

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Beeding Cement works could have been AWESOME - a stadium built into the pre-excavated side of the hill.
To be honest, that would have been my preferred choice over Falmer, but that's all history now. Same way as I'm not shouting for Wilkins or McGee back either.
Who on earth is shouting for them back ??

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was always the best place for a stadium, there'd have been room for a cricket ground too.

beeding cement wworks failed for the same eason as shoreham harbour and toad hole valley - too much initial preperation work and infrastructure costs of clearing up the site (and a bit of decontamintaion work to boot)

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
beeding cement wworks failed for the same eason as shoreham harbour and toad hole valley - too much initial preperation work and infrastructure costs of clearing up the site (and a bit of decontamintaion work to boot)

And a nightmare to get to. No train line, and one of the most dangerous roads in Sussex running past it. Oh, and its miles from anywhere in terms of walking to it. Always going to be a non starter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't have a station within X metres of a tunnel.

that buggers Horley, Tunbridge Wells and many more especially the underground:p

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway...back on track...I'm still wanting to see some pictures of the Waterhall design, if anyone has some :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here