Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the 1980s Waterhall stadium proposal?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From The Argus - 7 July 1995: The Albion are moving to Portsmouth next summer.

HHmmmmm, I can smell bullshit :lolol:

They might as well have introduced an Olympic stadium, hypermarket, all weather ski-slope, international watersports arena and convention centre...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not wanting to go back over old ground either, but whatever might have been a difficulty with Beeding, transport wouldn't have been one of them; widen the road from the A27, and re-lay rails on the track bed of the old branch to Steyning (still intact) and Brighton could have been the only club in England (apart from Arsenal) with its own station. (Derby used to have one when they were at the Baseball Ground, but not any more).

However, the arguments are long since dead and gone, so long live Falmer.

Strictly speaking wasn't the tube station operational (and called Gillespie Road) prior to be renamed Arsenal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Years before that around 1980 Bamber released plans for a ground at Waterhall. He based it on a American Dome, can not remember which one but it was going to have a covered pitch!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I remember them well and have copies of drawings in Seagulls News; the monthly paper you could buy around Sussex in the very early 1990's, somewhere in the loft.

Could I trouble you to go up into your loft, dig around, find it, come back down, scan it, save it to your PC, imageshack it, and then post it on here please ?

Ta :)

xxx

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Does anyone else remember when an American bloke was putting together a plan to buy the club, think he was called something like Kramer, went to one game to be greeted by cheerleaders in the street handing out leaflets about the whole thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think not Easy, someone will come along and bale me out sooner or later...it was in the early to mid-80's.

Come on Gully, we've all had dreams about cheerleaders.
OK, mine didn't stretch to cheerleaders actively fronting a US consortium to buy out the Albion, but perhaps my nocturnal cheerleader fantasies run a slightly different course to yours.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Does anyone else remember when an American bloke was putting together a plan to buy the club, think he was called something like Kramer, went to one game to be greeted by cheerleaders in the street handing out leaflets about the whole thing.

Yes he was filmed walking down Old Shoreham Rd with girls around him. One of Bambers new friends, even behind that stadium I mentioned above, If I remember correctly.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Portlock, when you get a spare moment or two, dig out those Seagull News issues and scan the pictures so we can enjoy them on here :thumbsup:

(please)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes he was filmed walking down Old Shoreham Rd with girls around him. One of Bambers new friends, even behind that stadium I mentioned above, If I remember correctly.

See Easy...I am not going barking mad, nor was that a figment of my imagination!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
See Easy...I am not going barking mad, nor was that a figment of my imagination!!!

I stand corrected, I shall never doubt you or your dreams again.

(but mine are still more exciting....abeit a bit messier)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We WILL have our own station anyway.
Falmer train station is a Frank Rijkaard gob away from the stadium.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Waterhall is where the stadium should have been built along with a "parkway" station on the London-Brighton line for commuters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here