Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the 1980s Waterhall stadium proposal?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
sorry - off for the night now so will have a catch up on any further answers in the morning

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
dog track was one of the suggested venues for the temporary home at the time that withdean came through

An interesting aside, Bamber also looked at buying the dog track, this at a time the reserves played on it due to the poor pitch at the Goldstone (pitch drainage was buggered up). The players hated playing there as it was normally covered in dog shit!

7) Who was the Albion chairman when the club submitted a planning application for a new stadium at Waterhall?

I think Greg Stanley was nominally chairman.

Bill Archer, who was then Albion’s majority shareholder and became chairman less than two weeks later, said Albion would share Pompey’s Fratton Park while a 30,000-seat stadium was built at Waterhall.

April 1997. The Football League are expected to reiterate their opposition to the proposed ground share with Gillingham unless their are firm plans for a new ground in the Brighton and Hove area. No plans have been submitted to the Planning Office of Brighton & Hove Council.

8 April 1997. The Football League has given the current Brighton Chairman Bill Archer 18 days to finalise the Takeover legal negotiations. Dick Knight is partnered by Consortium collegues Martin Perry and Bob Pinnock. Bill Archer is not expected to give up his shareholding in the club, but he is expected to lose his dictatorial control
22 April 1997. Statement from the Football Association about the reconstruction of the Brighton & Hove Albion Board of Directors: Richard Knight is the new Chairman, but Bill Archer remains on the Board with a 49.5% shareholding. David Bellotti is out! The Gillingham ground-share move is to be abandoned and plans for a temporary stadium at the Hove Greyhound track are being seriously explored. Plans for a new 15,000 seater stadium are expected to be announced in 3 months. There will be a £2 million cash injection for new players. (Believe that if you will).

A day after breaking the initial story, The Argus revealed that Brighton Council – as it was then – had already rejected the scheme.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
An interesting aside, Bamber also looked at buying the dog track, this at a time the reserves played on it due to the poor pitch at the Goldstone (pitch drainage was buggered up). The players hated playing there as it was normally covered in dog shit!

I'm sure there was some rumour that the reason that particular plan was abandoned was because the adjacent Alliance & Leicester building was chock full of asbestos, which would have cost an absolute fortune to sort out.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm sure there was some rumour that the reason that particular plan was abandoned was because the adjacent Alliance & Leicester building was chock full of asbestos, which would have cost an absolute fortune to sort out.

I don't think it was a "rumour" the building site was sold soon after and because of its proximity a stand could not be built that side of the ground so the project was scraped

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No tunnel anywhere near Horley station.

You my friend are quiet right just can't think of the one i was thinking of. My mate lived near the station so I should have known:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here