Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can't see it happening but I like the idea of Michael Carrick, he's done pretty well with Middlesbrough and has been praise for the style of play. We need someone who is more progressive than Southgate.

I don't think Potter suits the England job, given how long it took for his style of play to be implemented at Brighton when he has them week in week out. I cant see it translating to international management. I also don't think the fans or the media has the patience required for him, just like with Chelsea.

I think Tuchel, Klopp and Poch seem very unlikely considering the high profile club jobs they are current getting and Klopp wanting a break, He'd be mad to accept the England job if he's worn out.

I'd be underwhelmed by Lampard or Gerrard, neither have impressed me very much since they started management. Cant see Howe wanting it atm
Porch has already expressed his interest…..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Porch has already expressed his interest…..
Interesting. How did he do this? Presumably some journo has asked him and he'd say he'd consider? There aren't many jobs that he wouldn't consider given he is unemployed I guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aren't we somewhat rewriting history by keep referring to GP's 'history lesson' quote? Yes it was the wrong thing to say, no manager should ever criticise fans as it's asking for trouble / ill feeling towards them, but as far as I can remember that was his only ever criticism in 3 years. The way we talk on here it's as if he had constant meltdowns, I can't remember any and for the most part he stuck to the 'it is what it is we go again' bland platitudes.

He's been in professional football for years and I'm sure he will cope with a bit of criticism coming his way after we've beaten San Marino 8-0.

I'm not advocating him to be the next England manager (I think he will be), I'd love the FA to appoint Klopp but I can't see him wanting it, he's too energetic for international football and I guess he can see the Madrid job coming up maybe at the end of next season. Can't see Howe wanting to leave Newcastle and I would guess the FA wouldn't be able to match or better his salary.
He blamed one result on the crowd shouting "SHOOOT" which happens in almost every game. almost every week.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Southgate had plenty of experience at Boro who he got relegated, but far more importantly than Potters rise with a small club in a Mickey Mouse league, is Southgate was in the FA since 2011, five years as a coach and U21 manager, knowing the culture, the way things work, St Georges Park etc. Potter doesnt have any of that. Southgate was more qualified for International management in 2016, than Potter is in 2024.
Never did I think I would disagree with Peter Ward......but I think the England job is all about on field and match experience, where Southgate fell short massively. Potter has tons of experience here for his tender age. You seemed to have ignored that completely.
Personally I don't give a Monkees about what Southgate did coaching the kids as his on field tactics/reflexes where average at best.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
He blamed one result on the crowd shouting "SHOOOT" which happens in almost every game. almost every week.
He said: '"The build-up suggests we’re getting there. Of course, the longer you go, you can hear the crowd, ‘Shoot, shoot, shoot’, and that sometimes is a challenge for the players.'

You should get a job for the Daily Mail given the spin you've put on that quote. Hardly 'blaming' the crowd.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
According to the bookies:

1000005484.png

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Which full international team has Potter managed?
Sorry may be I misled people their my dyslexia got the better of me. Let me say it differently I meant he had managed in other countries as opposed to just England.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Can’t see Potter being a good fit, he is an excellent coach but in the last 2 jobs has taken a long time to get his ideas across and the team gelling. For England there will be immediate pressure and having limited time with players on the grass hard to see him having the desired impact.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Never did I think I would disagree with Peter Ward......but I think the England job is all about on field and match experience, where Southgate fell short massively. Potter has tons of experience here for his tender age. You seemed to have ignored that completely.
Personally I don't give a Monkees about what Southgate did coaching the kids as his on field tactics/reflexes where average at best.
Fair enough, but my point is, being England manager is a very multi faceted job, tactics and style is one of many components. Knowing the FA set up, culture, ST George's Park and working in it, is often better grounding than club form as the previously unheard of Spanish former U21 coach has proven.

And while I don't doubt many of potters tactical attributes, I do wonder if he could handle the pressure of the biggest and most scrutinised job in English football, when he visibly cracked at Chelsea, and the most important aspect of all, it's KO Cup competitions and his record with us in cups was awful, for all his league successes.

Better tactically than Southgate, yes almost certainly, but there's a lot more to the England job than just that. One bad game prematurely in a comp (and he had many with us) and whole country is calling for your head and the pressure is huge.

He had a very patient management team and very patient fans here, he didnt at Chelsea and it got to him, he won't have that either if he gets beat early in a comp with England.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Potter has been out of the game since April 2023
It's like riding a bike, I have not been on one for probably 15 years, I may lock the wheel up a bit at first but after I have popped a few wheelies I'd be riding the ramps. He will be hungry for success for his nation, you can't beat a bit of desire.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm struggling with, and tittering at, the poll results to date. Nearly twice as many want Potter than Klopp! Complete and utter failure at a big club v CL winner at a big club.

I can only assume that the sweaties have signed up in numbers to vote!

(The club-record 14 home games without a victory. One solitary win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020. Three months without a win between September 2021 and Boxing Day. Three months without scoring at the Amex between January and April 2022. Yup! That's the CV of an England manager. Yes sireee!)

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Fair enough, but my point is, being England manager is a very multi faceted job, tactics and style is one of many components. Knowing the FA set up, culture, ST George's Park and working in it, is often better grounding than club form as the previously unheard of Spanish former U21 coach has proven.

And while I don't doubt many of potters tactical attributes, I do wonder if he could handle the pressure of the biggest and most scrutinised job in English football, when he visibly cracked at Chelsea, and the most important aspect of all, it's KO Cup competitions and his record with us in cups was awful, for all his league successes.

Better tactically than Southgate, yes almost certainly, but there's a lot more to the England job than just that. One bad game prematurely in a comp (and he had many with us) and whole country is calling for your head and the pressure is huge.

He had a very patient management team and very patient fans here, he didnt at Chelsea and it got to him, he won't have that either if he gets beat early in a comp with England.
Yes Potter did show signs of cracking after a point, but he had so many players pushed onto him and it was going to be hard to make that work at Chelsea. He was unlucky as they did have plenty of shots but couldn't hit the target, if a few had gone his way at one point I think he would have taken them on. England would be different as I said, he can shape the squad entirely.
I feel the league was top priority with us and maybe he played weaker players in the cup, as we didn't have the depth of squad initially, I can't remember totally.
Some of our fans are patient some are screamers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here