Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very different tactician to Southgate by all accounts. Very attacking coach. Very good record with age groups too. I think they are right to give him a chance. It doesn't need to be a 'name'. Other nations have proved that.

This bit seems very familiar!

"In contrast with former Everton and Derby midfielder Carsley's playing career as a central destroyer, he encourages his side to build up with the ball and to express themselves.

At the tournament in Georgia his side was packed with technical players such as Liverpool duo Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones, and Nottingham Forest's Morgan Gibbs-White.

He had a right-footed left-back in Bournemouth's Max Aarons, Everton's James Garner - a central midfielder - playing at right-back and Jones, a number 10, as one of his two pivots in midfield.

Jones played alongside Angel Gomes - now at Lille - who had already transitioned from a number 10 to a deep midfielder. Carsley resisted the temptation to put a traditional central midfielder next to him.

Moves often started with Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford passing out and players encouraged to express themselves and trust their decision-making.

There was one occasion when Chelsea defender Levi Colwill stood still on the ball for more than 30 seconds as he waited for the opposition to press him so he could draw in pressure, then initiate the attack - something the team had worked on in training."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

"In contrast with former Everton and Derby midfielder Carsley's playing career as a central destroyer, he encourages his side to build up with the ball and to express themselves.

At the tournament in Georgia his side was packed with technical players such as Liverpool duo Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones, and Nottingham Forest's Morgan Gibbs-White.

He had a right-footed left-back in Bournemouth's Max Aarons, Everton's James Garner - a central midfielder - playing at right-back and Jones, a number 10, as one of his two pivots in midfield.

Jones played alongside Angel Gomes - now at Lille - who had already transitioned from a number 10 to a deep midfielder. Carsley resisted the temptation to put a traditional central midfielder next to him.

Moves often started with Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford passing out and players encouraged to express themselves and trust their decision-making.

There was one occasion when Chelsea defender Levi Colwill stood still on the ball for more than 30 seconds as he waited for the opposition to press him so he could draw in pressure, then initiate the attack - something the team had worked on in training."
Leeberto De Carsley

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I assume, from the wording of that, that it didn't particularly work on that one occasion. :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really - his football with the England kids has been decent, attacking football. I reckon he’s on a probation with view of taking job.

Not sure who else is out there 🤷🏻‍♂️

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not really - his football with the England kids has been decent, attacking football. I reckon he’s on a probation with view of taking job.

Not sure who else is out there 🤷🏻‍♂️
I can't profess to have watched any England U21, but just looking at the squad he had to work with... that's a strong set of players at that level and no mistake (the U21 EURO winning team & squad):

England: 1 James Trafford (Manchester City), 2 Max Aarons (Norwich City), 4 Levi Colwill (Chelsea), 5 Taylor Harwood-Bellis (Manchester City), 7 Morgan Gibbs-White (Nottingham Forest), 10 Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal), 11 Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), 14 James Garner (Everton), 17 Curtis Jones (Liverpool), 20 Cole Palmer (Manchester City), 21 Angel Gomes (Lille)

Substitutes: 23 Noni Madueke (Chelsea) for Smith-Rowe 67’, 6 Oliver Skipp (Tottenham Hotspur) for Gomes 74’, 9 Cameron Archer (Aston Villa) for Gibbs-White 74’, 19 Harvey Elliott (Liverpool) for Palmer 82’, 18 Tommy Doyle (Manchester City) for Gordon 82’

Substitutes not used: 3 Luke Thomas (Leicester City), 12 Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), 13 Joshua Griffiths (West Bromwich Albion), 15 Charlie Cresswell (Leeds United), 16 Ben Johnson (West Ham United), 22 Carl Rushworth (Brighton & Hove Albion)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He'll win the interim games (obviously, we're playing bloody Finland and Ireland) and the FA will appoint him on the back of it, obviously.

I really can't see him doing any better than Southgate, but what do I know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We should not have been appointing anyone now, Southgate should have gone after he messed up the final against Italy.
completely different options.
Who would you have appointed then ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I mean, at least Carsley HAS actually lifted an International trophy, having beaten Spain 1-0 in the U21 Championships just last year
Fair point, and maybe I am being hasty in my negativity, I should let it slowly bubble away over a few years and finally let it come to the boil at an actual tournament, just like all the other managers (y)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good appointment to oversea side during a pointless competition that few will be interested in. Hopefully Klopp appointment will follow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here