Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is the other side of it. I can't see any of the 'big' winning nations; Spain, France, Germany, etc employing a foreigner. But as England are not in that group I think its acceptable for a 2nd tier nation like us.
My feelings are based on the England team being a true reflection of England’s talent. Having a foreign manager moves away from this.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Preference of course is English manager but nobody obvious about. Klopp available and knows the players and English game backwards. Tempt him in until world cup. If had managed at Euros not saying we would have beaten Spain but win or lose we would have dominated all games up to final.
What a lift for English football if he took job

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
First man on the BBC list is Tommy Tootle. Please no, not Tommy Tootle. He's a pissy, irritable tit.
Absolutely no chance of the FA choosing him.

The FA basically chose based on the success or failure or the previous manager. They lurch from one type to another. Foreign to English and back again.

But given Southgate is perceived (by the FA at least) as a great success I'm pretty sure they chose someone of the same ilk which is basically Carsley or Potter.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Can't see it happening but I like the idea of Michael Carrick, he's done pretty well with Middlesbrough and has been praise for the style of play. We need someone who is more progressive than Southgate.

I don't think Potter suits the England job, given how long it took for his style of play to be implemented at Brighton when he has them week in week out. I cant see it translating to international management. I also don't think the fans or the media has the patience required for him, just like with Chelsea.

I think Tuchel, Klopp and Poch seem very unlikely considering the high profile club jobs they are current getting and Klopp wanting a break, He'd be mad to accept the England job if he's worn out.

I'd be underwhelmed by Lampard or Gerrard, neither have impressed me very much since they started management. Cant see Howe wanting it atm

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
GPott - tactically a different level from Southgate and is a good man manager based on what those here and Swansea said about him. Chelsea can be dropped off the CV because that was a disaster waiting to happen as it would have been for anyone who took it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who would I want? Klopp, then Pep.

But assuming they're not interested you need to consider what are the key boxes that need ticking:

1. Availability
2. Experience of managing at a high level.
3. Experience of playing at a high level.
4. Used to dealing with big egos / commands respect.
5. Proven track record of producing successful, attack-minded sides.
6. Speaks good English.

For me, Pochettino ticks all of those boxes.

And before people start saying Box 3 is not essential - look at Mourinho, I would say Gareth Southgate's 50 caps for England and Euro '96 penalty heartbreak were crucial in how he managed England.

Carsley ticks only 2 or 3 of those boxes, Potter only 3 or 4.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Hoddle should be nowhere near that list, most players of that generation say he was the very best tactical coach they worked under and could see things nobody else could, he lost his job not because he was a poor coach/manager, but by crazy quack comments about faith healing
To be fair I agree it was a little harsh putting him on the list

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There record for pivoting from tactically exciting (but potential off field baggage) to dull but safe is pretty amazing.

Terry Venables - great tactician, but dodgy as off the field, lots of baggage
Glenn Hoddle - born again Christian, seemed like a decent fella until he started having a go at disabled people and saying it was there fault from a previous life
Kevin Keegan - pure passion, limited tactically, no baggage. A clean image.
Sven-Göran Eriksson - foreign, decent tactically but didn't quite do it. Liked Ulrika and lots of women.
Steve McClaren - boring and tactically limited. Always had a brolly when he needed it.
Fabio Capello - lets try foreign again, this time Italian, must have some flair. Wrong, the players hated him
Roy Hodgson - okay lets go safe again then English and dull. But again tactically hopeless. Kane taking corners...
Sam Allardyce - Limited choice, oh hell he is dodgy as well.
Gareth Southgate - safer than a very safe safe sat in a bank vault. Zero dirt on this bloke. Great with youngsters. Big tick, but in the end limited tactically.
Next man - given the pattern they will either say Southgate was a success we want the same, which is Carsley or Potter, or they will go foreign. Don't think there is another option.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
No way would he be able to cope with what has been thrown at Southgate in the last few weeks, never mind getting booed off the field by more than a handful of fans.
Aren't we somewhat rewriting history by keep referring to GP's 'history lesson' quote? Yes it was the wrong thing to say, no manager should ever criticise fans as it's asking for trouble / ill feeling towards them, but as far as I can remember that was his only ever criticism in 3 years. The way we talk on here it's as if he had constant meltdowns, I can't remember any and for the most part he stuck to the 'it is what it is we go again' bland platitudes.

He's been in professional football for years and I'm sure he will cope with a bit of criticism coming his way after we've beaten San Marino 8-0.

I'm not advocating him to be the next England manager (I think he will be), I'd love the FA to appoint Klopp but I can't see him wanting it, he's too energetic for international football and I guess he can see the Madrid job coming up maybe at the end of next season. Can't see Howe wanting to leave Newcastle and I would guess the FA wouldn't be able to match or better his salary.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Can't see it happening but I like the idea of Michael Carrick, he's done pretty well with Middlesbrough and has been praise for the style of play. We need someone who is more progressive than Southgate.

I don't think Potter suits the England job, given how long it took for his style of play to be implemented at Brighton when he has them week in week out. I cant see it translating to international management. I also don't think the fans or the media has the patience required for him, just like with Chelsea.

I think Tuchel, Klopp and Poch seem very unlikely considering the high profile club jobs they are current getting and Klopp wanting a break, He'd be mad to accept the England job if he's worn out.

I'd be underwhelmed by Lampard or Gerrard, neither have impressed me very much since they started management. Cant see Howe wanting it atm
F**k me did you even watch us under Potter?

"His style of play" was implemented (brilliantly) in his very first game in charge against Watford away (a 3-0 win with 2 strikers scoring off the bench).

Complete myth it took a "long" time.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Where has the idea that Klopp's even vaguely plausible come from?

I saw the headline of an article on the Guardian website earlier and dismissed it out of hand. It's just daft. We may as well suggest reincarnating Alf Ramsey and splicing his genes with a gorilla* to make some sort of football manager monkey man.

*I'm aware that gorillas aren't monkeys.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I would prefer an English manager and of those mentioned, Potter would be my preference. The only overseas candidate would be Klopp or Pep. I don’t think Pep would ever want it and Klopp is on his sebatical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here