Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I think Potter would be more of the same.

I'd be a very happy bunny with Klopp.

But, I'd love the FA to throw a curve ball and appoint McKenna. A young manager who is yet to be worn down and might hopefully be braver in strategy.

But Klopp and heavy metal international football? If only for a tournament? A transition manager? Oh, yes please!
Buy out McKenna and his massive Ipswich contract, you mean.

Jurgen Klopp is as likely to be the next England manager as Johan Cruijff or Sir Bobby Robson. I really don't see why people keep bringing him up.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
With Potter, we'd either not qualify or at best not get out of the group stage. We'd pass a team to death, have numerous chances, but not put it in the back of the net. The opposite of Southgate's England, who were clutch when they needed to be.

I'm gutted Gareth has gone but it was inevitable (win or lose on Sunday). Klopp is the only genuinely exciting manager on that list who plausibly could accept the job and could do all the things and England manager needs to do: unite the nation, bring players together as a father-figure and get the best out of them.
There's a common misunderstanding that Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly struggled to score because of Potter and not because they're Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly. If Potter was their issue, wouldn't they be scoring for fun in the Premier League now?

If England create "numerous chances" and have someone like Watkins or Kane up front, goals will be scored. Graham Potter is a good man and good manager, but there's no need to pretend he has some sort of mystic dark magic powers that will prevent a good goal scorer from scoring from their opportunities.

Equally, Southgate does not have some sort of heavenly magic powers that make England "clutch" when they needed to be. These players are AT LEAST equally efficient in their club teams, where Southgate (much to the relief of these clubs) have very little influence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Potter wouldn't work at England for the same reasons it didn't work at Chelsea - a dressing room full of big players, big egos, sat there looking at a teeth-sucking beardy thinking "sorry...Graham who ?".

He doesn't have enough on his CV (Southgate did at least have an entire career playing at the top level plus 57 caps), and has less charisma than a carrot. And he's far too thin-skinned for the job, it wouldn't be long before he'd be trotting olut his "history lesson" quote.

It’s a no for me.
Luis de la Fuente has nothing of note on his CV either…

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Southgate had plenty of experience at Boro who he got relegated, but far more importantly than Potters rise with a small club in a Mickey Mouse league, is Southgate was in the FA since 2011, five years as a coach and U21 manager, knowing the culture, the way things work, St Georges Park etc. Potter doesnt have any of that. Southgate was more qualified for International management in 2016, than Potter is in 2024.
In that case it should be Lee Carsley, who unlike Southgate WON the U21 Euros ibeating the then champions Spain.

Carsley has already managed the likes of Gordon, Palmer, Curtis Jones, Colwill, Gibbs-White, Brainthwaite at international level.

Let’s remember de la Fuente has never managed a top flight club or had any notable managerial success. But clearly exceptionally good in the role.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
There's a common misunderstanding that Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly struggled to score because of Potter and not because they're Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly. If Potter was their issue, wouldn't they be scoring for fun in the Premier League now?

If England create "numerous chances" and have someone like Watkins or Kane up front, goals will be scored. Graham Potter is a good man and good manager, but there's no need to pretend he has some sort of mystic dark magic powers that will prevent a good goal scorer from scoring from their opportunities.

Equally, Southgate does not have some sort of heavenly magic powers that make England "clutch" when they needed to be. These players are AT LEAST equally efficient in their club teams, where Southgate (much to the relief of these clubs) have very little influence.
Please be careful in your defence of Potter because some really just want to hate him so much and can't move on, some of our fans would have been booing Cucurella in the Germany match.
Of course you have perfectly described the situation Graham had regarding, Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly, but someone will see them in the top 6 premier goal scorers for chances taken.
I am looking forward to seeing exactly who can't see that and how they could even see it differently, sorry to throw the challenge out there to them.

Of course some may just argue the case because it's you.............it's a funny old game.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Luis de la Fuente has nothing of note on his CV either…
In the submissive mind of the football fan, all the players will be filled with jaw-dropping inspiration if Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard or some other "world known name" took the job. In reality, players at this level are generally confident and strong people who by no means think "I have to learn from Steven Gerrard to become as good as him".

People are basing the whole "Potter can't handle big egos" on Raheem Sterling, who is not like the others.

Graham Potter managed massive egos (young multi millionaires) for years in Brighton. There were very little issues. As soon as he left, players (Trossard and Caicedo) went on strikes or (Sanchez) refused to be in the matchday squad. There was very little grief or infighting with Potter in charge. Very rarely any bad body language or players aggressively arguing with each other.

Fans will always want a "proven, respected winner", like Capello or Sven or some "golden generation"-guy like Gerrard or Neville or whatever. Players don't think the same way. They want a good lad who make them feel comfortably, happy and secure. Will be interesting to see if your FA is going with the celeb manager or the substance manager.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ranveer on Good Morning Britain said it's definitely time for a woman to take charge of the mens team to sort them out.

Hayes? Aluko? Alec Scott?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Definitely NOT a woman. I hear enough of there utter horse**** during mens games.
Potter would be interesting choice though.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
England have been saying for years that they wanted to bring players and coaches through the system, and with the players there's evidence that it's worked. Either they stick to their guns and appoint Carsley, or what's the point? It worked for Spain
Yes. Having thought about it I think Carsley would be a good choice. This is a direct contradiction of a post I made earlier where, scarred by the memory of McClaren, I said I didn't want an internal appointment.

However it does have its merits. We now all know and accept that international management is a world away from club management, and we've tried the 'successful club manager' route before and it's never worked. Like Southgate Carsley is in, and knows, the system. Unlike Southgate though he has had success with the under-21s, so he could be the ideal candidate: someone who knows, and is good with, all the ancillary stuff that the jobs entails, but is also a good coach. The drawback of course is that he's relatively unknown, and the people who think that the FA should always appoint the biggest name available will be on his back from the start.

However, what's the worst that can happen? Let's 'trust the process'. I hereby endorse him.

EDIT: And as you and @Bold Seagull above have pointed out, it worked for Spain.

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
My £1 free bet would be on Howe, he's a awfully nice chap,and will do as he's told by the FA and will be wearing a double breasted suit in no time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry may be I misled people their my dyslexia got the better of me. Let me say it differently I meant he had managed in other countries as opposed to just England.
What the difference between dyslexia and poor grammar? How is this diagnosed? Where’s the line drawn? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Just to add. I am genuinely interested. I have worked in a similar area with anxiety and when anxiety moves from being a “normal” emotion to something more sinister.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would love for Klopp to get the job but, it will never happen. He wants a break, the FA would get dogs abuse for appointing a German and all those fat,sweaty and bald England " supporters " will have a problem singing the bomber song.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England have been saying for years that they wanted to bring players and coaches through the system, and with the players there's evidence that it's worked. Either they stick to their guns and appoint Carsley, or what's the point? It worked for Spain
I agree with the principle of this but it might be the case, like some of the players, that Carsley is not good enough.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The Sarina idea has got a few folk frothy mouthed in Facebook. So I'm voting for her just to see the RAGE.
The English FA stealing a manager from their women's team would result in a rarely seen shitstorm at all fronts so yeah that'd be fun.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'd like Howe or O'Neil. I'm not convinced that Potter could cope with the pressure and/or big player egos. Potter also always struggled against teams that sit deep which is a common occurrence for England.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting. How did he do this? Presumably some journo has asked him and he'd say he'd consider? There aren't many jobs that he wouldn't consider given he is unemployed I guess.
I just saw it reported somewhere yesterday. If I can find it I’ll post it.
unemployed, but he can’t be short of a bob or two. I saw elsewhere that it might be a problem that he’s Argentinian! Can’t think why! :ROFLMAO:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Ranveer on Good Morning Britain said it's definitely time for a woman to take charge of the mens team to sort them out.

Hayes? Aluko? Alec Scott?
Who was the sensible very attractive blond woman on the show that was against women managing men's football teams.
And as for the woman who was a men's game ref, saying she never got trouble on the pitch, How dumb can she be.
How much backlash would any professional male get for saying otherwise. The little flag waving toxic woke crowd would be out in force.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Who was the sensible very attractive blond woman on the show that was against women managing men's football teams.
And as for the woman who was a men's game ref, saying she never got trouble on the pitch, How dumb can she be.
How much backlash would any professional male get for saying otherwise. The little flag waving toxic woke crowd would be out in force.
It won't be a female manager this time around but I think you should seek some help to get rid of that fear of women.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
It won't be a female manager this time around but I think you should seek some help to get rid of that fear of women.
Saying Fear of women is a Woke response. I love actual everyday women (as apposed to attention seeking women in media), that i meet and talk to everyday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here