Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Get Klopp at any cost, he is a winner.

Potter is a perennial loser and will be the same as Southgate.
Klopp spent the final two months of last season picking petty fights with Salah and looking like he was going to cry any time Liverpool conceded a goal. Completely burnt out, and not joking about taking a sabbatical year or even quit managing.

A lot of people in this thread are failing to understand these basics.

Its not like its some kind of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity he can't skip out on either. He's GERMAN and there's somewhere close to 0% chance that managing England to a World Cup win is some sort of childhood dream he's been waiting for.

Probably a good chance he'll manage a national team in the future. Very small chance it will be yours. Either which way, it isn't going to happen right now.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Out of realistic contenders, Lampard.

As I've said, an international manager gets little time with his players and it's not really coaching to the full. He has to be likeable and able to identify a team that works together. Lampard is a very attacking coach.

In an international context, I think he fits the mold. And he'd be popular with the team as someone who is a respected former England player who has been there and done it.

I wouldn't choose Potter. I see him as more of a club manager.
Wow. That's a model case of failing upwards if I ever saw one.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
F**k me did you even watch us under Potter?

"His style of play" was implemented (brilliantly) in his very first game in charge against Watford away (a 3-0 win with 2 strikers scoring off the bench).

Complete myth it took a "long" time.
Ok perhaps I've worded it wrong, what I meant was it took a long time for it to be successful consistently. You have to admit there were times when we had to be very patient with Potter as the style of football wasn't bringing results. You don't get that sort of patience with England and Chelsea

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Ok perhaps I've worded it wrong, what I meant was it took a long time for it to be successful consistently. You have to admit there were times when we had to be very patient with Potter as the style of football wasn't bringing results. You don't get that sort of patience with England and Chelsea
Actually it was. Brighton were heavily tipped for relegation in Potters last season and this didn't happen, because of the results. In the longer term, the longer term objective of being in the top 10 was also met. Through results.

With England, Potter isn't taking over a team predicted to be among the worst three nations in the next World Cup, so there's going to be different objectives. So far in his career, Potter has delivered with the exception of his Chelsea stint, where he didn't manage to get the team where they expected. But that happens sooner or later in the career of EVERY single manager.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Out of realistic contenders, Lampard.

As I've said, an international manager gets little time with his players and it's not really coaching to the full. He has to be likeable and able to identify a team that works together. Lampard is a very attacking coach.

In an international context, I think he fits the mold. And he'd be popular with the team as someone who is a respected former England player who has been there and done it.

I wouldn't choose Potter. I see him as more of a club manager.
Substitute 'Gerrard' for 'Lampard' and the identical argument applies. I don't think either of them will get the job though.

SAC

May 21, 2014
My first choice would be Eddie Howe but I suspect Newcastle wont let him go so it will be Lee Carsley.

Not keen on Potter but happy to be proved wrong!

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
All this talk of a foreign manager makes me wonder if the FA would go down that road again. They have invested millions in St Georges Park to have the world class facilities to produce coaches not just players. It would be admitting that it hasn’t worked but then nothing would surprise me about the FA. We finally got a Wembley stadium that was owned by the FA instead of a private company and pretty soon the carpetbaggers wanted to sell it off to “Invest in grass roots football” would you believe? Southgate came out in favour of that by the way.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
What the difference between dyslexia and poor grammar? How is this diagnosed? Where’s the line drawn? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Just to add. I am genuinely interested. I have worked in a similar area with anxiety and when anxiety moves from being a “normal” emotion to something more sinister.
On grammar it's difficult to structure and sequence words, I have never got to grips with even basic grammar I wouldn't know whether my sentence has good or bad grammar, as long as I understand it and feel I have put it in a logical manner, I hope others can. A dyslexic person may need to constantly re read a sentence several times, which can be exhausting. For example I often read can as can't and haven't as have, clearly they can change a totally different meaning to the sentence, I can also miss out letters and words totally, when I write and when I read.

Example.

Potter is not a good manager can easily be mistaken as Potter is a good manger, if you're dyslexic.

So I will try and read in short burst, but sometimes my hyper focus will get the better of me, which will end up making me feel fatigued. Then I make more mistakes.

But face to face communication I excel in because it is effortless for me and I can connect generally a lot better than most with CEOs to Sammy the man the sells strawberries from a layby.

I hope this can enlighten you and others.

Back to Potter, I back him👍

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
On grammar it's difficult to structure and sequence words, I have never got to grips with even basic grammar I wouldn't know whether my sentence has good or bad grammar, as long as I understand it and feel I have put it in a logical manner, I hope others can. A dyslexic person may need to constantly re read a sentence several times, which can be exhausting. For example I often read can as can't and haven't as have, clearly they can change a totally different meaning to the sentence, I can also miss out letters and words totally, when I write and when I read.
You and me both, I post stuff and then edit it, sometimes several times, spell check is a God send.
I do not mind people correcting me, if it makes them feel superior all power at least they are getting a good feeling for a moment or two.
At the end of the day, I know what I mean.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Klopp spent the final two months of last season picking petty fights with Salah and looking like he was going to cry any time Liverpool conceded a goal. Completely burnt out, and not joking about taking a sabbatical year or even quit managing.

A lot of people in this thread are failing to understand these basics.

When he announced he was leaving Liverpool he explained that to do his job properly, he had to turn up every day full of energy, and energise his players. That must be hugely draining. But he wouldn't have to do that if managing a country. Not even half of it. Not even a quarter.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
When he announced he was leaving Liverpool he explained that to do his job properly, he had to turn up every day full of energy, and energise his players. That must be hugely draining. But he wouldn't have to do that if managing a country. Not even half of it. Not even a quarter.
:shrug: Ok. Great. But unless he has been blatantly lying for 6 months - for no reason -, he's not going to be the next England manager.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Actually it was. Brighton were heavily tipped for relegation in Potters last season and this didn't happen, because of the results. In the longer term, the longer term objective of being in the top 10 was also met. Through results.

With England, Potter isn't taking over a team predicted to be among the worst three nations in the next World Cup, so there's going to be different objectives. So far in his career, Potter has delivered with the exception of his Chelsea stint, where he didn't manage to get the team where they expected. But that happens sooner or later in the career of EVERY single manager.
I'm not even trying to be critical of Potter, I think he did a good job for us and took us to new horizons. I was just trying to point out that some of the things that brought him success with us, such as patience and time to implement his style. Won't be afforded to him at England and wasn't at Chelsea, therefore I question whether he is the right man for the job. He also seems to get a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he is criticized which doesn't suit high pressure jobs

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Neither did Mourinho, so its a fair point. But maybe de la Fuente has that other slightly indefinable factor - charisma.
Whats the use of it? Does it win you games?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Made me both laugh and cringe when Owen in the Argus said this about Potter if he is appointed, just be himself as when he was here, not the Chelsea version

No glow-up, no forced swearing, no act.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Didn’t he reject the USA job a few days ago? He wants a managerial break now; most would be surprised if he took up the England job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here