Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whingy signs off

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I cant help thinking that the reason he's been given the boot is because he's ginger and ugly.

But good luck old boy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Non league beckons. He was good when he arrived from Coventry but went downhill fast and got player of the season more on a protest vote than his ability but good luck for the future at Bromsgrove or Worcester.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I think that's a tad harsh, Grandad. There are plenty of clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 for whom Whingy would do an excellent job. I remember a 1-4 home defeat, I think to Crewe, in which he practically played them on his own.

He deserves the good wishes he's receiving on here, I'll certainly add mine to them.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Good luck to the lad. He has done us proud on plenty of occasions and I wish him all the best for the future. Its a bit like when Hoppo retired from Sussex - you know its for the best really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personal opinion I just hope that he plays against us for Orient up against either Bennett or Noone. As I have said I think he was good when we first signed him but like a lot of players appearred to have come to Brighton to rest and went downhill very fast. He is by no means the first to do that and come here for an easy life.

Not a good idea to let this lad go, in my opinion.
For my money a far better defender than usually seen on the first team bench.
Everyone knows he saved us from relegation to division 2 ignominy, and can hardly be said to have been 'replaced' since either.

It wouldn't be a decision I would have made, tbh.

Personal opinion I just hope that he plays against us for Orient up against either Bennett or Noone. As I have said I think he was good when we first signed him but like a lot of players appearred to have come to Brighton to rest and went downhill very fast. He is by no means the first to do that and come here for an easy life.

"easy life"? What, last-ditch saving tackles and blocks on the line, last man to beat by bigger attackers bearing down on our goal while Elphick regularly wandered up front - the bloke was practically a defending superhero!!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Thankyou Whingy, and good luck! Those performances in the season of "The Great Escape" were unforgetable!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks Whingy and best wishes for the future.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Could you imagine Whing in our current set up.
His commitment was impressive and he could make a tackle , but Imagine him passing. I'm not sure I ever saw him pass straight

This may be the case now, I don't know, but when he first came to us he managed to produce numerous accurate Beckham-esque cross field balls, so I think you're being a little harsh. We've certainly had FAR worse.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Little over critical perhaps BG? He won player of the season because he was our player of the season by far. One of the few who looked like they cared that season. In fairness, how many right backs in L1 would look bad when compared to Calderon?

He was a hard worker and was a true pro. He'll get a L2 club easily.

Good lck Whingy. Thanks for the effort.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
"easy life"? What, last-ditch saving tackles and blocks on the line, last man to beat by bigger attackers bearing down on our goal while Elphick regularly wandered up front - the bloke was practically a defending superhero!!

Aye - I know one of the beauties of this game is that we all see the same thing different ways but that comment left me bemused. I thought that was the last thing he was looking for - whatever your views of his quality as a player, I thought his effort was one of the things about his game that was unimpeachable.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Many thanks to Whing - if it weren't for him, we'd have been relegated that year.

I hope he goes on to have a good post-Albion career.

Aye - I know one of the beauties of this game is that we all see the same thing different ways but that comment left me bemused. I thought that was the last thing he was looking for - whatever your views of his quality as a player, I thought his effort was one of the things about his game that was unimpeachable.

Yes, his effort WAS outstanding - he saved us from relegation with unbelievable saving tackles. I can't see why Gus didn't play him more, but then GP's results bear out his decision making.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Many thanks to Whing - if it weren't for him, we'd have been relegated that year.

Absolutely 100% true. He was a real hero that year and we would probably be fighting our way out of League right now if it hadn't been for Andrew Whing.

The very best of luck, Mr Whing, wherever you go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here