Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which was the first global news story, you remember?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
My first memory was the Zeebrugge ferry disaster 1987, i was 9 and remember seeing it all on tv,the rescues or attempts !! reading newspapers and feeling really upset by it all,

This was mine too! Also aged 9 and without looking at a list of world news stories this is the one that springs to mind! All through the 80's we got the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe every summer before dad drove us down to the south of France for the annual family holiday so it really made me sit up and take notice!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Having continued reading the posts the Challenger disaster was before the ferry disaster and I remember THAT like it was yesterday, I was at Patcham Junior School at the time!

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
Has to be Elvis Presley dying, I cried and had to have the day off school, just thought I'd share that with you all for reasons I can't think of :facepalm:

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Earliest memories are probably the troubles and starvation in Cambodia in the late 1970s. Wasn't interested in the news at that age but probably awareness was raised on children's news programmes.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure I remember the TV news programmes being dominated by the miners' strikes in the early 1980s.

Did that influence your decision to join the police Edna? :)

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I'm fairly young and was only 4 at the time of 9/11, so I don't really remember that, I'd probably say about Saddam Hussein being hung was the first I can think of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm fairly young and was only 4 at the time of 9/11, so I don't really remember that, I'd probably say about Saddam Hussein being hung was the first I can think of.
Blimey, I'm not the oldest on this thread, but I feel it now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Was he well hung?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm fairly young and was only 4 at the time of 9/11, so I don't really remember that, I'd probably say about Saddam Hussein being hung was the first I can think of.[/Q

You were 19 before you remember a global news story? Sign of the times indeed.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
Can't truely remember but I can recall the famines in Ethiopia, Miners Strikes a lot of IRA shit and the Falklands.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't truely remember but I can recall the famines in Ethiopia, Miners Strikes a lot of IRA shit and the Falklands.
That would be IRA - Miners - Falklands - Ethiopia - IRA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here