Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which was the first global news story, you remember?

Suez. The streets of Newport being lined with tanks and other armoured vehicles, all painted sandy yellow, waiting to be loaded on to ships to support the Eden government's fantasy that Britain could carry on ruling the Middle East.

Blimey, I remember my dad telling me this was the scariest moment of his life when as an eighteen year old being ordered to paint all the artillery pieces sand yellow and then make a will.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Uganda - Idi Amin or the power cuts of 74, whichever came first.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not international but I also remember the story of the hydrofoil(?) sinking in storms to the Scilly Isles? Remember it because we went a few days later..... by helicopter.

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Robert Kennedy being shot. Have a very vague memory of JFK's funeral but Bobby Kennedy is the one that sticks out in mind. Terrifed me and was not able to sleep after watching news reports

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
First news story I remember (maybe not International) was having the "big telly" wheeled into the classroom so we could watch the Mary Rose being lifted out the water. Just remember the buzz round the school of watching telly at school - unheard of!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Concorde's inaugural flight and/or the first moon landing in 1969 I'd guess.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Did'nt know much about the actual story then but remember a picture of a warship with the headlines Graf Spee sunk.
Was at the Suez 1956

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Churchills funeral I suppose was the first thing I really took notice of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here