Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which was the first global news story, you remember?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Your first memorable news story was when you were twelve? Hope you've started to take a bit more notice of what's going on.

I don't know about you but when I was twelve I didn't give a toss about the news. I had more pressing matters like riding my bike at ridiculous speeds, beating Final Fantasy 7 and playing football in the yard across the street with all the other kids.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Cuban crisis all sitting looking at a small black and white screen wondering if Kennedyaqq would push the button.:guns::shootself:drama:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
We didn't have a tele in these days, but remember Churchill's death ('65), Aberfan disaster ('66) & World Cup win.

I asked my dad - "What's the world cup?, when I heard him getting excited about it!"

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
The first space shuttle launch, was sat in my shorts at primary school and Mrs Goodall brought in a portable TV for us to watch it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was walking back to Hove (was actually most of the way back along the seafront) after a student night out in West Street, when I heard the bomb go off.

Yeah, I bet that's what you told the police too, isn't it? :D

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I remember my parents getting me to leave the room when the Bradford fire was on TV, I think I wanted to watch it but my parents said I was not allowed. Watching it now I can understand my parents decision (I would have been 7) :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Challenger shuttle explosion was always very vivid in my mind, as they interrupted something I was watching on TV to have a Newsround Special, much to my annoyance.

Also remember being quite shocked by the scenes from the Bradford football fire. And I'm pretty sure I remember the TV news programmes being dominated by the miners' strikes in the early 1980s.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Reading various preview pieces for upcoming India v England test series, lots have mentioned the 1984-5 tour when England last won out there, which took place just after Indira Gandhi's assassination. I'd always had that down as my first news memory, but now realise I had my chronology wrong, as I remember the Brighton bombing which happened a couple of weeks earlier. Either way, October 1984 must have been my month for waking up to the horrors of world news, because I remember them both vividly.

But my first news (as opposed to news story) memory must be earlier than that, because I remember that I was terrified of Peter Sissons's face when I was really little. I thought he had "sad eyes" and would run out of the room crying whenever he appeared on the telly. What a sensitive little lump I must have been back then.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Another for JFK. At that time my dad worked nights and I was allowed to watch TV with my mum before bedtime, imagine my anger when the TV programs were cancelled!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reading various preview pieces for upcoming India v England test series, lots have mentioned the 1984-5 tour when England last won out there, which took place just after Indira Gandhi's assassination

I can remember there being a joke going round at school about the Gandhi assassination, so I must have been aware of that, as I'm pretty sure my eight year old self laughed at it.

Quite inappropriately, of course.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I remember my parents getting me to leave the room when the Bradford fire was on TV, I think I wanted to watch it but my parents said I was not allowed. Watching it now I can understand my parents decision (I would have been 7) :(

I remember this vividly and was the saddest things then and still to this day.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The 1999 East Timor crisis. Don't know why, just remember the live reports of rebels advancing on the capital has stuck in my head for some reason. I would have just turned seven at that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here