Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which was the first global news story, you remember?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I vaguely remember seeing news footage of the Falklands kicking off but was way too young to really know what it was about. First ones I really remember were the Challenger Shuttle exploding, 1986?, Zebrugge around a year laterand Piper Alpha but the first major story I took a real interest in and followed on the news was the fall of the Berlin Wall.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Coronation, cos it was on tele. 9". the television not me. Was up Uncle Squibs and Auntie Nans house, Fletching Road Whitehawk. I even remember where I was.

All the talk of Argo, has me thinking.
The overthrow of The Shah of Iran is probably the very first international news event, that I was aware of, as a child.

I would have been about 10.

I seem to remember some long drawn out aeroplane hijackings, and Carter losing to Reegan, all of which would have been about the same time.

But Ayatollah Khomeini's succession to power is my most vivid memory.

This is probably my first news memory also,looking forward to seeing the film.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982. I remember my father having a stand up row with my uncle over it. My mum made us leave our grandparents house before blows were exchanged and my dad ranted about it all the way home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I vaguely remember the Korean War news which was early 50s, but not the start of it in 1950 but a chap named Col Carne of the Glorious Gloucesters received the VC. He later went on to be the CO of an Army Apprentice School before his retirement.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the death of JFK and how it stunned my whole family
I do remember the queens coronation and my dad getting our first TV and loads of kids and their parents coming round to watch but that ...then and now was hardly world shattering whereas JFK dying was

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I guess for people like myself who don't remember JFK getting assassinated don't realise the enormity of it all,imagine Obama getting shot today

My first genuine feel of sadness for someone dying that I've never even met would of been Ayrton Senna

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Princess Diana dying. My mum woke me up and said "Princess Diana is dead!" I was twelve and it was early so my response was "So?! Let me go back to sleep!"

Your first memorable news story was when you were twelve? Hope you've started to take a bit more notice of what's going on.

The Iranian Embassy siege but am not sure if thats a Global news story.

It was quite well covered, The Americans were accused by the Iranians as being behind the British seige of the embassy as some sort of revenge attack for what was going on in the American embassy in Tehran.

For me, my first recollection is a very vague memory of the first moon landing, 1969, I was approcahing my 4th birthday.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I think I have slight memories of seeing some of the Bosnian war on the TV, but it might have been a different war (around '94 '95), Princess Diana death is one that I more vivid memories of, not that I really knew much about her at the time as I was only 9.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
The one that really sticks in my mind as a kid was the death of an Italian lad who fell down a well. They tried for hours to get him out but failed. I remember being really upset by it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have very vague memories of the royal wedding (Charles & Diana) in 1981.

It's always pissed me off that I can remember that but have no recollection whatsoever of the 1983 FA Cup Final.

Mind you: I didn't like football then. My Little Pony was probably more my bag at that age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here