Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which performer would you have loved to have seen live, but didn't, and can't now?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
sams dad said:
Marvin Gaye

Very good call, he must have been an amazing live singer

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Trufflehound said:
In the summer of 1991 I was driving to the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium with some friends. Feeling a bit thirsty, we looked at the line-up and the first act on was some bunch of Americans none of us had ever heard of. We had a quick discussion, decided they were a bunch of no-hopers and certainly crap, and went for a pint before going in.

Three months later, this same bunch of no-hopers were on Top of the Pops playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, and their Nevermind album was about to go mental...

Oops. :dunce: How was I to know it would be Nirvana's one and only festival appearance in continental Europe?

I was lucky enough to see them at Reading.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Biscuit said:
Queen won't ever get that 'edge' that Mercury gave them back. But they have Ex Free front man (and Albion Legend?) Paul Rodgers heading the group and hes pretty damned good apparently.

Although 'Pretty damned good isn't anywhere near Mercury's standard'.

What a load of bollocks.

I refused to buy Queen Greatest Hits III as it had people like Wyclef Jean on it!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Top of the list would have to be The Velvet Underground in 1966, although Marvin Gaye and Jacques Brel come close.

I was actually thinking that one subject for an NSC debate is what performers you nearly saw, didn't and are kicking yourself about now (like Trufflehound's brush with Nirvana).

My list would include The Sex Pistols at the 100 Club (tried to hitch to London and couldn't get a lift), David Bowie at the Dome - the gig where he said he was retiring (queued but all sold out), Ike and Tina Turner (my dad wanted to take me and I'd never heard of them) and Charles Mingus in Amsterdam (would have left me near guilderless). I couldn't have done much about Bowie but how I regret the others.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This very depressing I am old enough to have seen everybody mentioned on here, I think, excluding obviously Mozart and Beethoven.

Saw the Beatles at The Mexican Hat, I think it was called that then in Worthing in 1963/4. Or was it called The Carioca can't remember which it was called first of the two. Was originally The Plaza Ballroom.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
fatboy said:
What a load of bollocks.

I refused to buy Queen Greatest Hits III as it had people like Wyclef Jean on it!!

The only good thing about GH3 is the couple of tracks from the Freddie tribute concert.

The Paul rodgers stuff is good, particularly some of the Free and Bad Company tracks, but not in the same league as the real deal

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Faces

Jimi Hendrix

:cool: :bowdown:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
And by performer, I mean footballer, comedian, poet, public speaker or singer.

I would dearly have loved to have seen Peter Ustinov, but I can't now. :(

True story this AL, when I was a nipper Peter Ustinov was Rector at Dundee University and my cousin was Student President, I remember him giving me a 50p at my Aunties house at some party or other.

He wore a very funny hat.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Federico Turienzo.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
FamilyGuy said:
The Faces

Jimi Hendrix

:cool: :bowdown:

Saw Hendrix at the Dome in Brighton. He was on with Floyd(!) and Nice (if you remember them). In those days (about 1969/1970) they played a couple of numbers and then another band came on. There were about half a dozen 'name' bands on that night. Still got the ticket somewhere in our loft. Probably worth a bomb on Ebay but I won't be selling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here