Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would YOU consider the nicest place in the world to live?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Bangkok - Live like a wealthy Londoner in a similar city (central BKK anyway and the outskirts of London are shit in the main anyway) for a lot less money, with better food, better weather, and better looking more traditional women

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
really isn't much of an issue. Especially if you can speak the lingo a bit.

Japan is the west's default country for 'ooh look how weird and different it is!' When really, there's just a lot of very normal people doing normal stuff.

I have plenty of Japanese friends. There are often times when people's Japanese-ness can be irritating but then when I come back to England I find the same thing (example: came back this summer just before the olympics and the moaning/negativity really stands out for me after being away a while). Same goes for my Dad's country, love it, but can be annoying.

I've only spent 3 and a half weeks in Japan but I found Tokyo an interesting place. It seems to operate at a very fast and chaotic pace but I found it strangely relaxing and the people calm at all times. I find the bowing and general politeness disarming and it puts everyone at ease and on an equal footing from the off. I plan to go back next summer.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Bangkok - Live like a wealthy Londoner in a similar city (central BKK anyway and the outskirts of London are shit in the main anyway) for a lot less money, with better food, better weather, and better looking more traditional women

But no NHS,no real rights as a non Thai,a corrupt police,an uneducated population,pollution,no health and safety,phenomenal traffic congestion......

Holiday destinations are very different when you live in them.

I've noticed huge settlements of Brits in Western Australia,and Pattaya,Thailand.....although Pattaya is mainly single males over 50....but so many!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Personally don't think I'll ever live abroad - I just everything that Britain has to offer. There are some great locations with beautiful scenery, in England alone, think of some of the beautiful counties Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Derbyshire, North & West Yorkishire, Cumbria, Northumbria to name but a few. All the major cities are accessible, and were only a short flight from all sorts of places in Europe.... Marvellous!

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Sandbanks - Too much of home i'd miss, the little things in life. The only downside would be bumping in to Harry walking Rosie on the beach. Otherwise Sandbanks is"triffic"

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Although an isolated example you don't think the construction challenges and architecture of the Sydney Opera House impressive ?

Sydney Opera House is a wonderful building BUT it is very much the exception rather than the rule. The reason it is so synonymous with the city is that there's just nothing else even close. Admittedly it would stand out ANYWHERE, but at the same time there are no other buildings whatsoever you'd associate with Sydney, or even Australia, because there is nothing else of note or worth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sydney Opera House is a wonderful building BUT it is very much the exception rather than the rule. The reason it is so synonymous with the city is that there's just nothing else even close. Admittedly it would stand out ANYWHERE, but at the same time there are no other buildings whatsoever you'd associate with Sydney, or even Australia, because there is nothing else of note or worth.

How about the Harbour Bridge? And the MCG is to Melbourne residents as Wembley is to us. You are right in the main of course but that's partly what I liked about Australia. That most of the culture is outdoors, Bondi beach, sports grounds, vineyards, The Blue Mountains etc. Depends whether you like an outdoors lifestyle or nice buildings I suppose. If money was no object I'd live in Sydney and take holidays in Rome, Paris and London when I needed a culture refresh!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
How about the Harbour Bridge? And the MCG is to Melbourne residents as Wembley is to us. You are right in the main of course but that's partly what I liked about Australia. That most of the culture is outdoors, Bondi beach, sports grounds, vineyards, The Blue Mountains etc. Depends whether you like an outdoors lifestyle or nice buildings I suppose. If money was no object I'd live in Sydney and take holidays in Rome, Paris and London when I needed a culture refresh!

I take your point. And it isn't as if I value buildings as a dealbreaker when it comes to considering other cities in which to live. It was just a good point of reference. The country doesn't have anywhere near the level of culture and history that we or any other countries in Europe do. And I'd say the same thing about the States too. It's like comparing Bath and Milton Keynes

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'd never have left GB if it hadn't been for my wife but Austria's certainly got its advantages - beautiful scenery, a capital city with real charm, good healthcare etc.

But, if I could choose anywhere, it would be the Basque Country. There's just something about the area that makes me feel at home there. The big plus over Austria is that they really love their sport. And, by sport, I mean proper sport - football, rugby, golf.

Bayonne would be just perfect.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Seems like we're all pretty much agreed that the question should be "Where would you consider to be the second nicest place in the world to live" as Sussex is a clear first choice.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
At present obviously Sussex - I wake up in the morning and look at the Downs - enough said shirley?

In the future when I become even more decrepit and less and less happy about living through UK Winters I think Italy as I love the cuisine, the wine, the scenery and the history as well the fact that the population dont give a flying f*ck about the rules.

I know I will have to do the right thing by the locals and learn the lingo but I did Latin 30 odd years ago so it can't be that difficult can it? :dunce: People called the Romanes, they go the house.....

If I was younger then Canada (Vancouver) RSA (Cape Town) and Australia (Sydney) are all places I could happily live in.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Of the places I've visited:

San Francisco, Boston - My 2 favourite cities in the USA, both very different from the standard cities over there. Not sure how long I could put up with American culture for though.
Sydney - I've spent a fair bit of time there and it's a cracking city but as people have said it is MILES from ANYTHING.
New Zealand - Probably my favourite foreign country, so much to see and do but the distance thing is an issue even more than Sydney.
Vancouver - As covered in this thread.
Cologne - My cousin lives there and it seems like a great place to live with lots going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here