Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would YOU consider the nicest place in the world to live?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
To be fair, there aren't too many people on this thread suggesting that Sierra Leone, Somalia, Haiti or Afghanistan are their dream destinations are there?

Or more simply put, people from those countries are here because it is better here than in those countries.

Any other country that people mention on these pages. There is also a big difference between liking a country, and what it offers a visitor, and living there full time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Berlin. Tokyo. NYC. I'd settle for any of these.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Another vote for San Francisco for me. It ticks all the boxes - big city but friendly population, good balance between developments and nature, mild climate, etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
From places I have been and breathed, South West Sussex will always be my place, after that and besides it's terrible winter coldness, Canada, in particular Ontario, second.

My wife and I had some nice evenings out in Port Douglas and we enjoyed our day out on the Barrier Reef and a wildlife park. We preferred it to Cairns. The only place I wouldn't bother going back to in Oz(and I certainly wouldn't live there) was Ayers Rock (Uluru). It was nice to see the sun rise and see a completely different way of life but two nights was enough. It was a tick the box, done that, visit (Bit like going to Port Vale).

Having just got back from Oz on holiday I tend to agree. I quite liked liked Adelaide - compact, lots of open spaces, good climate, good beaches and countryside nearby.

I think the lack of culture is one of the major reasons I couldn't settle in Oz. That and its isolation on the other side of the Earth make it just too flawed to be my new home.

It's not like I'm some culture vulture spending each night at the theatre, opera, ballet and so forth, it's more that I get very bored with prefabricated things and like to know that there is plenty going on around me. The whole of Europe can boast some of the most stunning architecture on the planet but you won't find anything even close in Australia. Whilst I wouldn't consider myself someone for whom architecture is a dealbreaker, it is nice to have impressive feats of human achievement in your surroundings.

Although an isolated example you don't think the construction challenges and architecture of the Sydney Opera House impressive ?

somehow I ended up living in Japan. Which I do love, it has a lot to recommend it. Right now it's autumn and is stunning.

I've lived in Spain too and am half Spanish so have a lot of love for there too. Both of those countries beat the UK for climate and food.

But am really pining for Brighton at the moment. Possibly because of the Amex but not totally. It's a fantastic town and don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

Always fascinated about how westerners get on with the locals in Japan. Like a lot of people I have only encountered them in holiday destinations and struggle to reconcile the cultural differences.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Always fascinated about how westerners get on with the locals in Japan. Like a lot of people I have only encountered them in holiday destinations and struggle to reconcile the cultural differences.

really isn't much of an issue. Especially if you can speak the lingo a bit.

Japan is the west's default country for 'ooh look how weird and different it is!' When really, there's just a lot of very normal people doing normal stuff.

I have plenty of Japanese friends. There are often times when people's Japanese-ness can be irritating but then when I come back to England I find the same thing (example: came back this summer just before the olympics and the moaning/negativity really stands out for me after being away a while). Same goes for my Dad's country, love it, but can be annoying.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Seattle is pretty damn good.

Plentiful, cheap, tasty microbreweries. Many sporting options to watch (one of the teams is even good). Warmer summers, snowier winters than Sussex. Skiing or beach nearby for most of the year. Minimal religious crazies.

Not much more you could hope for.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If these other places are so great to live in, why if any other country in the World has a problem which includes a protest. Why outside their Embassies in London, do thousands of the natives of the affected countries appear, to protest about whatever is the current beef with their country of birth?
Why do these people live here, why not in the country they seem to care so much about?

Because you don't suddenly stop caring about your country of birth when you live somewhere else.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I won't disagree with that. Parts of Oz are certainly interesting (the rain forests, the blue mountains and so on) but it wasn't a country that I'd have wanted to settle down in. Mind you, I haven't been to Melbourne and from what I gather about the place, is probably the place I'd be best suited to. Sports mad, biggish city, and a modicum of culture.

Melbourne is more livable than the rest of Australia in my opinion. There is culture, sport and a fantastic music and arts scene. I live just outside Melbourne and love it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having just got back from Oz on holiday I tend to agree. I quite liked liked Adelaide - compact, lots of open spaces, good climate, good beaches and countryside nearby.

Ah! missed Adelaide, Brisbane and regretably, Melbourne. We felt that too many days in airports were too many days taken out of our holiday.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Central Europe: Cracow, Prague, Vienna, Budapest. These are my favourite
places on Earth, where I can feel the spirit of old European glory and culture
the most.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I won't disagree with that. Parts of Oz are certainly interesting (the rain forests, the blue mountains and so on) but it wasn't a country that I'd have wanted to settle down in. Mind you, I haven't been to Melbourne and from what I gather about the place, is probably the place I'd be best suited to. Sports mad, biggish city, and a modicum of culture.

Melbourne is more livable than the rest of Australia in my opinion. There is culture, sport and a fantastic music and arts scene. I live just outside Melbourne and love it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Call me odd but i would if the time was right move to Tibet and live in the mountains,live with the monks and Tigers free from the ravages of the Western world or any other for that matter,live as one with nature and when my time was up have my body laid upon a mountain rock so that all of the life forms could feed off my body..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here