Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you have to be so patronising? I only asked a question.

Bloom and Barber very much believe in doing things the right way. If a player's representatives are, from what we can tell, openly in negotiations with a club regarding the transfer of one of our players, I'm happy to trust that it is with the club's consent.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Romano's stories come from agents and that's why that tweet is missing the vital Brighton half of the tale. He can report what a club trying to buy wants, he can report what the player's agent has told him about the player's wants, he can report anything that the potentially selling club has told the player or the agent. He won't be told anything by Bloom & Barber, so his reporting is all about the wishful thinking of those with no power. All he has said could be true, but if Chelsea pick up the phone and are told 'If you won't sell us Colwill, you're not getting Caicedo' then it doesn't matter what Chelsea or Moises have discussed.

At least we'll get some honesty about this one. He can't argue that we're holding him back from 'playing at another level'. I await his statement saying that we're holding him back from his long term dream of playing at a lower level for loads more money.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now I KNOW this is probably mainly dreamt up BUT this type of thing is really starting to grate with me. How can ‘personal terms be agreed’ if ‘the two clubs haven’t held talks yet’? Is this not just tapping up? An illegal approach? Or are those just forgotten rules like a keeper realising the ball after 6 seconds?
Potential buying club speaks to agent (perfectly legal) -
Club: "Would your boy consider coming to us for £150K a week?"
Agent: "Yeh, I reckon he'd be OK with that."
Romano: "Personal terms agreed."

- and that's probably about it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agents, earned a wedge from the new deal in February now going to earn a life changing amount when Chelsea wheel barrow in the cash. I’m in the wrong job.
That Ted character may as well put £1B on retainer with the Albion and save on admin.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I mean he's clutching at straws here. He's often right, but what is he actually saying here?
1. He hasn't even agreed terms with Chelsea yet
2. We haven't had any offer from Chelsea, and that might happen next week

Weak effort from Romano.
Yep, absolutely clutching at straws is right. So no personal terms are agreed, and no contact with Brighton, but trying to word it all as if a deal is close.

Fabrizio's tweet from YESTERDAY said 'talks have been going on for weeks'. Now he says 'Talks with Brighton expect to start next week'. So which is it Fab?

His tweets are so obviously worded to make things sound as if deals are further along than they are. If, by his own admission, talks with Brighton havent even started then we are very much at square one on this. When they do finally pick up the phone to Tony think of all the questions that would need to be answered before a deal can be struck?

''This is our opening bid, what do you think Tony?'' Rejected.
''This is our second offer, thoughts Tony?'' Rejected.
''This is our third offer, but its structured payments. Tony?'' Rejected, we want it all upfront.
''Okay you can have it all upfront. Deal?'' Only if we can also striker a deal for Colwill.
''Colwill isnt for sale.'' Okay no Caicedo deal.
...and so on.

If it was Arsenal I think this deal could happen quickly because they've already tested us with a few bids, and there's no Colwill factor involved. But with Chelsea I think we're miles away. Unless of course Todd does a Cucurella and instantly agrees to a massively inflated fee.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Chelsea are a horrible scummy club but part of the established big 6, the clubs that players worldwide aspire to play for. Us being in Europe next season makes no difference.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think I post this on every player transfer thread but I'd really recommend watching the recent sky series where they followed players and their agent squads (I call it that as sometimes there's about 10 of them for one player).

Amazing to see how much of even the negotiations over price are done by the agents, to the clubs, before clubs are actively talking to each other. It goes without saying that players are agreeing their contracts way before clubs are even in receipt of transfer offers.

You also see how much power the player side holds in this.

It would be GLORIOUS to believe that a transfer happens by Club calls Club, makes an offer, accepted, player is allowed to speak.

Sadly, it's far more messy than that.

The Caicedo farewell/retraction last time showed how he had basically agreed everything with the prospective club only for us to be awful spoil sports and not agree to sell. Once you've been shown the money you could be earning it's no wonder the players/agents begin the tactics they often use to push it through.

I must also say, it was nice to see on the documentary that there were also occasions where agents were actively asking their players to stick at the current clubs and improve. Sure, it was to probably get a bigger move a year later for more wonga, but it wasn't ALWAYS jump ship now and get that commission.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We all see this through our BHA perspective, me included, but if I’m being objective then I’d say the following;

Caicedo is probably the most talented player I’ve ever seen in the stripes and I saw the Lawrenson era.

He’s a young man who seems driven by his ‘dream’ of being ‘the most decorated Ecuadorian player ever’. He’s constantly on Instagram liking posts of famous players. He comes across as a bit naive but at the same time he seems a decent guy.

He came to Brighton as a stepping stone. I expect that at the time he was disappointed he didn’t get his move to Man United.

He has signed new agents and due to his youth and naivety he seems to be letting them direct his career. He doesn’t seem to grasp that they are in it for the agents fee. He could go and play for his favourite team, Man United, if he was slightly more patient. Instead he’s been sold the dream of a rich club with a relatively glamorous past and a new manager.

In January his heart seemed set on joining Arsenal and we blocked it. The right decision by us. We promised him we then wouldn’t stand in his way if an appropriate offer came in, this summer. In fairness to him, he got his head down and played with 100% commitment for us. For that I will always wish him well.

From our part, we now know that he met his side of the bargain and therefore we have to keep ours. If we don’t then we’d soon be exposed and it would stop us being the ‘go to’ team for young talented players wanting to make it in the Premier League.

I think that as a club we have welcomed Chelsea’s approach as they have plenty of money, although with some challenges around complying with FFP. We have encouraged a bidding war but we know Chelsea want the player and will pay up. We’ll have seen that there could be deals included for the likes of Colwill or other talented Chelsea players that they need to offload. We seem to have a very open dialogue with them and this might facilitate Sanchez’s departure.

So all this talk from Fabrizio is irritating but in truth, is probably relatively well informed.

At the end of the day we will lose a great player but what we gain is three fold;

Around £80m plus in profit on a player that we snatched from under the noses of Manchester United, who couldn’t be bothered to work their way through some complex player ownership issues, when we could.

Money in the bank to allow us to purchase a good quality replacement. Not like for like necessarily as that is virtually impossible but we got in Dahoud for free who can play as a defensive midfielder and now we probably need a more robust defensive midfielder/ tackler as well. In addition, surplus funds to put us in a great position to outbid other clubs for other targets eg Boehly.

Perhaps most importantly, we cement our position as the go to club for players looking to break through. We give them and their agents examples of Ben White, AliMac and Caicedo to show them the development that they can get at Brighton and the fact that we will not stand in their way when they are ready for the next step.

Not easy to be objective but that’s where we are. He’s off to Chelsea and they won’t get him cheap!

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Now I KNOW this is probably mainly dreamt up BUT this type of thing is really starting to grate with me. How can ‘personal terms be agreed’ if ‘the two clubs haven’t held talks yet’? Is this not just tapping up? An illegal approach? Or are those just forgotten rules like a keeper realising the ball after 6 seconds?
This is the thing that grates most with me about modern day transfers. 'Tapping up' has always had ways around it - I believe it was only considered tapping up if it was direct contact between the club and the player/the player's noted agent. Which always left scope for the player's brother, or the agent's assistant etc. But people were always keen to at least avoid the appearance of tapping up.

Over the years that seems to have gone, and increasingly it seems to be accepted/expected to have some prior contact. I suspect it's so prevalent that no club complains when their players are tapped up because they know they are tapping up players themselves.

is the boy really motivated by money though or have his agents been doing all the talking. Hell at 50k+ a week hes already earning 2.5m a year basic (and no doubt hefty win bonuses)- how much can a man his age spend?
Nobody mentioned the idea of a buy/loan back deal with another club. With AliMac gone, possibly Barber et all will be trying their utmost to keep him another year. The loan back option would ensure Caicedo gets his dream move but doesnt deplete our whole midfield in one season. Just my tuppence worth?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Romano's stories come from agents and that's why that tweet is missing the vital Brighton half of the tale. He can report what a club trying to buy wants, he can report what the player's agent has told him about the player's wants, he can report anything that the potentially selling club has told the player or the agent. He won't be told anything by Bloom & Barber, so his reporting is all about the wishful thinking of those with no power. All he has said could be true, but if Chelsea pick up the phone and are told 'If you won't sell us Colwill, you're not getting Caicedo' then it doesn't matter what Chelsea or Moises have discussed.

At least we'll get some honesty about this one. He can't argue that we're holding him back from 'playing at another level'. I await his statement saying that we're holding him back from his long term dream of playing at a lower level for loads more money.
Spot on and Barber has a strong relationship with Talksport which is where snippets of brightons stance seem to be shared.

I thought this one about us using Rice as the benchmark for what Chelsea will need to pay sounded very Bloom and Barber and what you would expect us to be using in negotiations. With Arsenal reported to be going back in with £100m there are going to be Chelsea tears as their club has to go big to prise away a key player for us (which will hurt the even more given they know what Ali Mac went for).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Clubs don't make contact until they feel pretty sure the player negotiations are in a good place.

Seems Romano was right again.

*runs away giggling*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here