Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Caicedo is one of the greatest players, if not the best to ever play for this club, yes his agents led him to act like a berk in January but that’s the football world we live in now unfortunately. Pretending not to care about him possibly leaving just comes across as a bit bitter.

The whole idea of Romano once again saying ‘personal terms close to being agreed’ what a load of bollocks, it’s easy to say that about a player from a lower club because Chelsea will likely offer him 200k p/w for 7 years, not going to say no is he? (If sale terms are agreed)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If we get £120m for a defensive midfielder that would be incredible. I mean he’s good at what he does top end of the pitch Bissouma was better and that’s not really a compliment.
I thought Chelsea were having to balance the FFP books? Surely they aren't spending anywhere like that money on one player?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If Moises goes to Chelsea because of the “project” he’s a complete and utter moron. The project which so far seems to consist of Todd Boehly throwing money at Paul Winstanley to buy any player that fits his algorithm because he used to work for Bloom. There’s no direction in the transfers and there’s no plan, it’s spend spend spend. Paul Winstanley was the bloke who brought us Gross and Propper. But he also was the bloke that brought us, Locadia, Jahanbasksh, Elvis Manu, Ales Mateju, Sofyan Annanach, Schelotto and Henrik Bjordal. The person who worked on all our South American transfers is still with the club thankfully.
If he’s being paid in one year what would take 3-4 years at Brighton, he probably thinks he’s won the jackpot & doesn’t care

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Caicedo is one of the greatest players, if not the best to ever play for this club, yes his agents led him to act like a berk in January but that’s the football world we live in now unfortunately. Pretending not to care about him possibly leaving just comes across as a bit bitter.

The whole idea of Romano once again saying ‘personal terms close to being agreed’ what a load of bollocks, it’s easy to say that about a player from a lower club because Chelsea will likely offer him 200k p/w for 7 years, not going to say no is he? (If sale terms are agreed)
To be fair Romano says three things:

1) Chelsea are getting closer to agreeing personal terms with Caicedo.

2) There is no deal with the Albion so the signing is still a long way off.

3)Caicedo 100% believes he's leaving. The key phrase here though is 'he has a pact with the club that he can leave in case a suitable offer comes in'.

He also says some guff about Caicedo not being bothered about no champions league football it's the 'project' that excites him.

So with points one and two there's nothing new there, we know he'll agree terms with Chelsea and there's been no advancement in terms of Chelsea and the Albion.

The big one for me is the third. It confirms* what I, and I suspect most of us, thought was the case. The club have told him he can go if a suitable offer comes in. He's taken that as he's leaving without realising the importance of 'suitable'. It's going to be a messy little saga one way or the other.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Few thoughts

1) Chelsea had a rough season last season. But they do have a good squad and now have a very good manager. They could catch up with arsenal very quickly, especially with players like caciedo.

2) 90% of people on this board would leave the company they work for if offered triple the salary. Loyalty my arse.

3) You can't compare the conduct of maccer with caciedo. Maccer was rubbish for the first year , average for the second. No clubs were interested in buying. As soon as he got half decent he buggered off at the first offer.
On the first point a lot of people seem to be assuming that somehow it is all going to click next season but I don’t see any evidence this is going to be the case. The playing staff have thrown 3 managers under the bus and clearly issues with squad morale. As for Poch this is a guy who had peak Son and Kane banging in the goals at spurs and Messi, Neymar and Mbappe at PSG. Where are the goals coming from at Chelsea as they are shipping off Havertz and Pullisic with Lukaku looking for a move to Saudi. That leaves them with a misfiring Sterling and Fofana.

Granted I don’t expect them to finish 12th but they are miles off being a top 4 side

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
To be fair Romano says three things:

1) Chelsea are getting closer to agreeing personal terms with Caicedo.

2) There is no deal with the Albion so the signing is still a long way off.

3)Caicedo 100% believes he's leaving. The key phrase here though is 'he has a pact with the club that he can leave in case a suitable offer comes in'.

He also says some guff about Caicedo not being bothered about no champions league football it's the 'project' that excites him.

So with points one and two there's nothing new there, we know he'll agree terms with Chelsea and there's been no advancement in terms of Chelsea and the Albion.

The big one for me is the third. It confirms* what I, and I suspect most of us, thought was the case. The club have told him he can go if a suitable offer comes in. He's taken that as he's leaving without realising the importance of 'suitable'. It's going to be a messy little saga one way or the other.
He can go if a suitable offer comes in? What is different to any player? Pretty sure Lewis Dunk could also leave if Man City come in and offer 100m for him.

Romano is just doing what he normally does and jumping on the band wagon, means he will get a few right eventually even when sometimes he isn’t ITK

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He could earn £10m to £12m a year for five years. That sets him, his family and all his friends up for ever. Why would he turn that down, even at the age of 21? Maybe he could develop a bit more by staying here. Maybe he'd get European football elsewhere, but he's made it from a financial perspective.

Also, let's talk loyalty. If BHA decided a player was not making the grade or got an offer too good to refuse, we'd move on a player at the drop of a hat. Football is a business. And we fans are the only people who deal in the currency of loyalty.

Ps I'd love him to stay but that's football

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He could earn £10m to £12m a year for five years. That sets him, his family and all his friends up for ever. Why would he turn that down, even at the age of 21? Maybe he could develop a bit more by staying here. Maybe he'd get European football elsewhere, but he's made it from a financial perspective.

Also, let's talk loyalty. If BHA decided a player was not making the grade or got an offer too good to refuse, we'd move on a player at the drop of a hat. Football is a business. And we fans are the only people who deal in the currency of loyalty.

Whilst I do kind of agree with the premise of your argument, If Moises is on 80k p/w here (I assume he’s near the top earners) That’s still over 2m p/a after tax, that still sets him and his family up for life.

I think the problem is now is that agents drive footballers, it’s not always what the players want, they are guided by the money thirsty people who make their livings out of these transfers.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He can go if a suitable offer comes in? What is different to any player? Pretty sure Lewis Dunk could also leave if Man City come in and offer 100m for him.

Romano is just doing what he normally does and jumping on the band wagon, means he will get a few right eventually even when sometimes he isn’t ITK
It's no different. Clearly. And it's what I and a number of people have been saying. What it does is clarify the situation.

People accuse Romano of getting all his info from agents. If that is so, then we can assume that Caicedo thinking he is 100% leaving because he has 'a pact with the club' comes from Camp Caicedo.

We now know for sure what the situation is. I find that quite useful. Sometimes there is wheat amongst the chaff.

Edit: Further to my opening paragraph...it might not be different to any other player but it is different to the club's stance to Caicedo in January.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It's no different. Clearly. And it's what I and a number of people have been saying. What it does is clarify the situation.

People accuse Romano of getting all his info from agents. If that is so, then we can assume that Caicedo thinking he is 100% leaving because he has 'a pact with the club' comes from Camp Caicedo.

We now know for sure what the situation is. I find that quite useful. Sometimes there is wheat amongst the chaff.
So if someone comes in and offers enough money Caicedo can leave? Well I never, what a truly remarkable pact that is, for a club like us(and any club that isn’t owned by blood money clubs) that’s always going to be the case.

It clarifies nothing for me, Romano DOES get his info from agents that’s why he nearly always has inside information on ‘personal terms’ but is much more vague when it comes to other details, and like I said earlier, saying he’s close to agreeing personal terms isn’t exactly rocket science they’ll probably double his wage.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Whilst I do kind of agree with the premise of your argument, If Moises is on 80k p/w here (I assume he’s near the top earners) That’s still over 2m p/a after tax, that still sets him and his family up for life.

I think the problem is now is that agents drive footballers, it’s not always what the players want, they are guided by the money thirsty people who make their livings out of these transfers.
I don't disagree about the parasitic agents. How could I? But the difference between earning £2m a year and say £10m for a guaranteed 5 years is vast. And coming from poverty, as he so recently did, gives you a different lens to a football fan who sees it all as hypothetical "monopoly money".

Just try to imagine the family pressure In Caicedo. They don't give a damn about the employer or the "opportunity to grow". They dreamed of a payday if Moises made it, and that day is today.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Chelsea were having to balance the FFP books? Surely they aren't spending anywhere like that money on one player?

They’ll have to be 100% certain of selling loads of expensively bought players to achieve their summer plan of Caicedo, a world class striker eg Osihem and a proven keeper. If that lot costs £250m, with their 7 year contracts ruse now NOT counting for FFP, that adds £50m to annual FFP costs. Added to their problems, they’ll have zero European income.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

Mirrors my sentiments entirely, the currency of loyalty belongs only to the fans. Ours is a lifetime of love and devotion, for the players it’s a stepping stone on the employment ladder. The irritating thing to all of this is we lose some bloody good songs and chants when one of our heroes departs - think Bissouma (okay, replaced by Mitoma!), the Ali Mac one, and now, possibly, Moises’ Balon d’Or effort. :down:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So if someone comes in and offers enough money Caicedo can leave? Well I never, what a truly remarkable pact that is, for a club like us(and any club that isn’t owned by blood money clubs) that’s always going to be the case.

It clarifies nothing for me, Romano DOES get his info from agents that’s why he nearly always has inside information on ‘personal terms’ but is much more vague when it comes to other details, and like I said earlier, saying he’s close to agreeing personal terms isn’t exactly rocket science they’ll probably double his wage.
I think your issue here is with Caicedo and his agent.

All Romano has done is pass on, presumably direct from Caicedo's agent, Caicedo's thinking. That is interesting for me. We now know where everyone stands. There's no release clause, there's no promise to sell him at a low price for signing in January, just 'a pact' that he can go if we get a suitable offer.

We might have guessed at all of that but it is now confirmed as, as you agree, Romano's info comes from the agents. And confirming which of several possibilities is true surely falls under the term to clarify?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think your issue here is with Caicedo and his agent.

All Romano has done is pass on, presumably direct from Caicedo's agent, Caicedo's thinking. That is interesting for me. We now know where everyone stands. There's no release clause, there's no promise to sell him at a low price for signing in January, just 'a pact' that he can go if we get a suitable offer.

We might have guessed at all of that but it is now confirmed as, as you agree, Romano's info comes from the agents. And confirming which of several possibilities is true surely falls under the term to clarify?
Not sure it clarifies anything for me at all. He's off and was always going to be.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Unsubstantiated rumours that he’s demanding £200k a week which Chelsea are prepared to pay and arsenal aren’t.

if it is true, given the wage demands and fee required, then that’s a big ask for Chelsea under FFP. I’m sure they’ll find another loophole if they really want it done.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From what I’ve read, it’s their FFP until 30th June that needs fixing. Hence the rumoured Mount, Havertz, Kovacic and Gallagher sales and the Kante release. From July, FFP resets and they can go ‘full Todd’ and once again, overpay for players to the tune of the £30m or so.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not sure it clarifies anything for me at all. He's off and was always going to be.
Well, you have greater links to the club than me so maybe you were aware of the contract negotiations. I wasn't, so what it has clarified for me is exactly what the deal is. Caicedo believes he has the green light to go but there are no clauses in his contract allowing that, no cut price deals to be made and thus chelsea have to pay us what we want.

Saying he is off and was always going to be is nothing to do with what has been clarified. Or what has been clarified for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here